How to make salmon eating black bear taste good???

You know that smell when the tide is down and the beach is covered with dead pinks? That is exactly what that bear smelled like.
This. You are what you eat. I’ve tasted two bears from SE AK that were killed while eating fish. They tasted very bad—and I am not a picky eater, like at all.

Cutting off all the fat you can find on the meat would almost certainly help, but I doubt it would make it good, or even palatable.

SE AK is amazing, so it would be hard to turn down a bear hunt there. But just know what to expect from the meat.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
cook a bear hock on a yellow cedar shake in the oven for 5 hours, any temperature over 300F. Trim it with onions and celery, garlic, S&P...whatever you got. When you're done, throw that hock away and eat the board!
In late fall after a month of freeze-dried meals, that might sound kinda tasty LB...let us know when you're cooking it, and I'll bring the beer!

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
Could maybe eat it in gumbo? Snow geese are actually pretty good in it and they are plain nasty normally to me.

OP
D

dmdude

FNG
cook a bear hock on a yellow cedar shake in the oven for 5 hours, any temperature over 300F. Trim it with onions and celery, garlic, S&P...whatever you got. When you're done, throw that hock away and eat the board!
That's similar to the Kauai wild chicken recipe. Boil with lava rock for 3 days, then eat the rock!

I love eating spring bear. I hunted POW before it went to a draw, it's nearly impossible to draw it now. There is a reason you aren't required to salvage fall bear meat and that's because you can't do anything to make it edible. I wouldn't even shoot a fall bear in the Alpine on POW. Just because you found him up high doesn't mean he wasn't down eating Salmon before that. Every bear on that island is going to be eating fish sometime throughout the season.

One year we did a Caribou hunt in Alaska and when we got back to Anchorage we took our Caribou to Indian Valley Meats to get them processed because we didn't have time to do it ourselves. When we went to pick it up Doug the owner says hey why don't I give you guys this caribou burger. He gave us over 100 pounds of burger all processed in tubes. We were thinking this guy is awesome. After we got home I tried cooking up some of that burger and it smelled like piss so badly it chased us out of the house. That bull was killed in mid-rut and was just rank, no wonder he gave it to us.

When we were at the processor there was a poster showing several Caribou livers and it talked about the state of health of each one and how they got that way. During the rut Caribou curl their lips and Flem like other deer species to test the does/cows. The thing about Caribou is that they also drink the cow urine and I read a study done in Canada how the bulls can die of liver failure from ingesting too much urine which is also what that poster said. This is why that burger smelled like concentrated piss.