How to get into diy western hunting

hello, apologies in advance because I know that this topic has been covered multiple times, but I feel like I should make my own specific to my own conditions. I currently live in South Carolina and a grown-up hunting here whitetail here. I am wondering how to get in to Western big game hunting on a fairly low budget and DIY I’m looking for something that is “easy” (I know nothing is easy) and doesn’t cost a fortune. Any western state or maybe even Midwestern state is up for debate but I’m partial to mule deer, elk, and antelope but am open to anything in any state. It also doesn’t matter whether it’s archery, muzzleloader or rifle- Any suggestions?

IDVortex

WKR
Oregon coast for elk, Cali, WA, or OR for bear. Muley, just find a state and start applying. Anything easy will have every other heifer from out of state or the nearest town hunting it.

IDVortex

WKR
No animals left in Oregon. Go to Idaho if you want to be successful! 😝
Actually there are. But now everything is a damn draw. Idaho has wolves and grizzlies..so chance of sleeping at night without chasing a animal off is very high

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Learn how the point systems work and start investing towards tags you'd like to draw in the future. In the meantime, figure out how to increase your earning potential.

CJohnson

WKR
hello, apologies in advance because I know that this topic has been covered multiple times, but I feel like I should make my own specific to my own conditions. I currently live in South Carolina and a grown-up hunting here whitetail here. I am wondering how to get in to Western big game hunting on a fairly low budget and DIY I’m looking for something that is “easy” (I know nothing is easy) and doesn’t cost a fortune. Any western state or maybe even Midwestern state is up for debate but I’m partial to mule deer, elk, and antelope but am open to anything in any state. It also doesn’t matter whether it’s archery, muzzleloader or rifle- Any suggestions?
Cheapest thing to do in the long run is move out west.

TaperPin

WKR
Start gathering the correct gear and think hard about black bear. You can hunt a world class high country area most people can’t draw for mulies or elk, but you’ll be there hunting and they aren’t. You’ll learn about elk and mulies, see a lot of them, and have a purpose to be there.

When I was in the early 20’s my hunting rig was often a four door sedan because it was more affordable to drive across the state than my jeep - many mountain trailheads can be reached with just about any kind of car.

Doe antelope tags are a great learning tool if you’re new to antelope, but you don’t want to hunt out of a car.

When your gear budget is low, it will simply be heavier or much more well used than what many of us have, your rifle won’t be quite as capable and your optics will leave a lot to be desired, but many locals out west also aren’t made of money. My first backpack hunt was a sad collection of gear I probably didn’t have $200 invested in and the rifle was $125 with a $50 scope, but we were hunting. Get good at spotting gear on Craigslist or fb - shop thrift stores for clothing. Before synthetic hunting pants were even a thing, some mountain hunters simply wore polyester sweat pants. Fleece is polyester. Breathable waterproof shells are so common, $20 can get you a worn out special that’s still better than what 90% of the yo-yos in the mountains have, but you have to know what your looking at.

When you’re broke, gas and food will hold you back as much as anything. Get a small truck, minivan or SUV and figure out how to sleep in it - even if it’s just reclining the front seat. Drive like hell, sleep when you have to. Learn how to eat on the cheap and stay out of fast food joints and motels. $200 in fast food would be much better spent on a better pack, tent or sleeping bag.

I’ve seen guys sleeping on free carpet pad and using free tyvec as a bivi. Even the homeless don’t do that - they always seem to have a little tent.

Hunting food doesn’t have to be expensive. As a young kid I often ate beans out of the can, made sandwiches out of an entire loaf of bread, whole jar of peanut butter, and some jelly. Add in ramen, instant oatmeal, summer sausage, bags of chips, crackers, canned cheese, spaghetti O’s, tuna fish, and a whole lot of heavy canned fruits. My favorite low cost treat is banana bread - I’ve packed in entire loaves just to snack on. I ate a lot of crappy food in college to justify buying good quality hunting gear and practice ammo.

Borrow gear if you have to. Let everyone know if they have hand me downs you’d really be interested in them. Experienced guys often replace gear when it’s slightly worn and hold onto the old one until it has a good home - I’ve given away at least one complete set of really gear over the years and at least as many things that weren’t up to my standards.

The best way to learn anything is to just show up and fake it until you make it. Gather your gear - there’s no reason you can’t be in the mountains the end of September to scout this year. Camp in your car if you don’t have a pack. Find a friend to split costs with - hopefully he has more gear than you - a friend in need is a friend indeed. There’s nothing holding you back except yourself.

Im not sure what “fairly inexpensive” is, but I’d say you’re probably looking at a minimum of 1.5-2k in fuel and tags just to get to CO, for example. UT and CO have lots of OTC opportunities. Pretty low odds of success for a first-time out-of-stater though. I wouldn’t plan on killing anything your first time out here. Just enjoy the experience.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
If you can talk a hunting buddy into going with you can cut expenses.

But don't let going alone stop you. Get an OTC tag, throw your stuff
in your rig ( whatever it may be) and go.
Be smart.
Grab groceries at home wherever it's cheapest.
Don't go late in the year, especially if your rig is a car ( yeah, in spite of what the
lezbos in Bozeman say, a Subaru is just a car) because you can get early winter storms
that can turn your inexpensive trip into a very expensive debacle.
Be careful to start with. Don't go too far from the rig, have paper maps, compass,
old school reliable besides your modern prone-to-failure electronic gizmos.
Relish the adventure and you'll be successful whether you fill a tag or not.

I'm excited for you !!

NMJM

FNG
Join a conservation group. Check out Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation in your area. Volunteer at one of their events and you will meet people who have the same goals or have done it before. Nothing better to learn with someone face to face.

A lot of good information has already been posted but I'll add some budget minded ideas. First start by deciding which species you want to hunt and in what states. Learn about points and draw odds, cost, etc. Then start applying until you draw. Once you get a tag, start learning as much about the area as possible before you go.
As far as equipment, you probably have most of what you need to hunt since you already deer hunt. You don't need thousands of dollars in equipment to be successful. Camping is the cheapest way, and you probably know people who would loan you what you don't have. Sleep in your truck or car if you don't have a tent and premade meals will help you save money too. You can eat pretty cheap if you plan your meals.
The biggest cost is usually gas and license fees. Most important, spend time here reading and learning from experienced western hunters and ask questions. (just don't ask for info on specific units)
Maybe try an early season archery hunt so you're less likely to deal with extreme weather given your limited resources. Good luck