RFI - How to sell “collector” motorcycle

Backyard

WKR
It will be in about 60 years, if you don’t need the cash just hold on to it, 20yrs old isn’t really collector status yet.

I will add that with the HDs it’s not so much the years but the motor style that becomes collectible. It used to be the knucklehead. Then the panheads became popular. Now it’s the shovels. These are all few and far between now. Soon the blockheads will be with the twin cams (which you have) I would expect. Until they start to disappear in numbers, they aren’t worth much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Hmmm. Fair point. I guess I had kept it stock all these years thinking it would be worth something to a collector some day.

Dang. I may just have to hang on to it.

I would just keep riding it. IMO its not worth looking at it forever to try and make a buck.

I will add that with the HDs it’s not so much the years but the motor style that becomes collectible. It used to be the knucklehead. Then the panheads became popular. Now it’s the shovels. These are all few and far between now. Soon the blockheads will be with the twin cams (which you have) I would expect. Until they start to disappear in numbers, they aren’t worth much.

I would just keep riding it. IMO its not worth looking at it forever to try and make a buck.
Both these two posts (postezezez?)
1) whether YOU sell it or not, your kids or grandkids can show some HD freak a "barn find" that will be a real treasure.
2) at this point, I see no reason not to ride it. The key to that is to keep it as dent, ding and scratch free as possible. Start a maintenance journal. Log oil changes, flats, ANYTHING you do to establish a provenance. Real "collectible" freaks go ga-ga over "provenance". Keep every receipt for anything you buy related to the bike and keep them in your journal.
A journal will only add value.

My sister bought a car. She took it back to the dealership for every problem, oil change and recall it had. When she had to sell the car due to her health, we told the buyer that the dealership and her journal covered the car from mile 0.0 to current mileage.
We got little argument on price which was near KBB!

tdhanses

WKR

Yeah I remember when you could find basket cases of them all and the early 1910-14 was hard to find. Eventually the stuff in the last 20 yrs will be hard to find, most will be ridden till it’s wore out or wrecked which will make things hard to find in 60yrs.