How to catch an untrapable mouse.

For difficult mice that avoid food bait, I'll take a cotton ball and tear off chunks and roll them into yarn, then thread them through the holes in the plastic cheese paddle of the Victor trap, leaving the two tails sticking up as close to the trigger mech as possible. Weave them tight and make the tails small so they have to yank to get the cotton. Several passes through the holes required.

If i do this with 2 traps, i add a little anise oil to the cotton of 1 trap.

Little buggers love the cotton to add to their nests. Had good luck with this trick and similar to the yarn trick on page 1.

Last edited:

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Blue poison blocks. Sometimes the little devils die in the house, but they usually seem to escape outside and die in the driveway.

three5x5s

WKR
Try frying some bacon-limpy, then sow it to the trigger of your trap with thread. It will stiffen up and get brittle with time. Then replace it with the soft bacon again. I sometime add a smidge of PB on top.

Instead of food on the trap, I've found a piece of yarn tied to the trigger works great, the little suckers always seem to want to drag stuff like that back to their nest.

This is your answer.
Don’t use any bait/food.

Use the trap with the fake yellow cheese square.

Put fake yellow cheese part against the baseboard, behind your toilet.

dtrkyman

WKR
I had a mouse cleaning the food off my traps without setting them off, a commercial trapper friend told me to wrap the trigger with thread and their teeth will snag the thread and trigger the trap, worked the first night!

Ucsdryder

WKR
I had a mouse cleaning the food off my traps without setting them off, a commercial trapper friend told me to wrap the trigger with thread and their teeth will snag the thread and trigger the trap, worked the first night!
I do the same. Cotton ball wrapped around the trigger smeared with PB. Works like a champ assuming they’ll go after PB.

I use the “better mouse trap” they’re grey and you just pinch them to set them. I put them up against the baseboard/wall, usually no bait. They get caught just walking through them as they go down the wall.

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the 5 gallon bucket trick with great success. I've caught/drowned up to 6 in one night.

I used a 3/8" wooden dowel rod and a tin can with some peanut butter.

They can actually jump out of a 5 gallon bucket, so use a taller 6 gallon bucket or put about 6" of water in it to drown them. My garage was warm enough not to freeze, but to keep it from freezing you can add some antifreeze...just make sure your pets don't get into it.

go_deep

WKR
Sprinkle birdseed in the glue traps. I stack up a few boards against the wall to make a small tunnel they fell comfortable going in with a glue trap as wide as the tunnel, or a trap.

jimh406

WKR
You can try baking soda, sugar, and cornmeal mix or similar. When rodents eat it, the reaction creates gas in the rodent stomach, they can't burp, so they die.

There are various recipes online.