How Much PTO Do You Have?

JasonWi

WKR
I work for a hospital doing CT, MRI, X-rays and supervise the imaging department. The amount of time I accrue off was that way from day one, and it won't ever increase.

I can hold unlimited sick time, but will loose it all ( and not get paid for it) when I retire. Vacation time I'm allowed to only have 260 maximum hours then I start losing them. I'm on salary so I don't have to use any time off for appointments other than for vacations or sick.

With having grown children who've moved away and nothing utilizing my time on evenings or weekends I come and go as I please.

I'm at 15 days PTO right now and we can't bank any. Think I'm at 51 days of sick leave right now which we get paid out when we retire. Also get 7 paid holidays and 3 floating holidays. My PTO will go up to 17 days in a couple years and then will go up to 19 a couple years later and then a day a year till I retire. We also get 5 unpaid personal days and 3 emergency leave days.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I contract for a company and own a business ... I take off when I want and work from the road, I'm not as effective though.

Now getting someone to watch my kids is a whole different ball game, and limits me more than anything.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
What the heck do all of you do for a living? I take off work for 3 days (meanwhile my phone still blows up) or I come back and have 5 days of work to catch up on.
A hair over two years at an EDA company. Business Intelligence Analyst is my title. I work with lots of data.

When I started we had about 10k people. Then a giant company finally took us over (years in the making) and now we have about 350-400k employees. Time off and what not didn't change thankfully. Health care took a dump...but they are going back to some things as so many people complained/left. Still a typical giant corporation mentality though.

Edit: My good buddy is in a different department/division. They are even more relaxed over there. Back when I started he told me about some people who had taken 30+ days off in less than the first half of that year.. You get your work done and they kind of let you do whatever. They are also removing work email from personal phones now which is sweet. I refuse to get a work phone. Previous job i would have 1,200+ emails after a week of PTO. Now I maybe have 50.

Mojave

WKR
I can carry over 240 hours at the end of the year. I just 244 I think. I have 1000 sick hours accumulated and will continue to let that grow as it’s more of an insurance than it is time off. Any and all OT worked is complete time and allows me several more weeks off. Currently earn 12 hours vacation a month and 8 hours sick.
Same. In December I will be at 16 per month finally. 15 years of service.

cday34

FNG
I am salary and can take as much time as I want, within reason. Last year was a 12 day elk hunt, two beach trips and numerous 3-4 day weekends.

Fortunately I am my own boss, so I can take as much time as I want. I probably end up taking 4-6 weeks off a year depending on what I have going on.
Same here. Though, I've got 2 young boys in sports and a wife who love to do things too. It's easier for me to take off a day of work than it is to take a day away on the weekend. But when I miss a day of work, I'm the one who suffers because I work for myself. It's an annoying catch 22. I usually take the same off 4-6 weeks. Though this year may be a bit more as I'm hunting 3 different states and my son now has a tag to fill.

I definitely work to live, not vise-versa!

ODB

WKR
4 weeks but my company no longer allows rollover because they have to have any unpaid vacation in reserves. So we go to 0 each Jan. It’s asinine

Not enough, but 4 weeks and can roll over 100 hours so sitting at 240 (hours) right now. I will retire from this job later this year, so we'll see how next year shakes out...

Unlimited but it’s kind of a con. My compensation is tied directly to the business performance

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
I switched jobs five months ago and currently have 10 days of vacation plus 5 sick days that accrue throughout the year. The catch is my company does a forced Christmas shutdown from December 23rd to January 2nd which sounds great but the company forces you to use 3 to 4 of your vacation days towards it depending on the year. So in reality you have 6 to 7 days of vacation plus 5 sick days. Personally I'd rather work around Christmas and have more paid days in the fall. Luckily I can take a few extra days unpaid.

robtattoo

WKR
Man, my world is totally different.

PTO is Power Take Off.

I can take as much personal time as I want I guess, it just doesn't pay, or get anything done.

I'm doing something wrong. I might get a week off total this year and it will be unpaid. My problem is that I am the owner and too cheap to hire someone else so that I can take off more time. I need to get my work/personal time in order.

"Be self employed" they said...."you can take all the time you want!" they said...."you'll be rich & retired in no time!" they said.

'They' are assholes.

I get to take 10 days, if we're not too busy, plus a couple of weekends fishing during the quiet months.

NDGuy

WKR
Fortune 500 company

3 Weeks Vacation
2 Weeks Sick Leave
2 Floater Days

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
5 years at small family owned company. 280 hrs PTO and flexible 9/80 schedule. Get an additional 40hrs at 10,15, 20 years.

240 + 2 floaters and normal holidays, but you stop accruing at 240 hours. This the maximum we offer, based on years of service.

"Be self employed" they said...."you can take all the time you want!" they said...."you'll be rich & retired in no time!" they said.

'They' are assholes.

I get to take 10 days, if we're not too busy, plus a couple of weekends fishing during the quiet months.

Thing is, all that PTO is time you are worth. It ties into what @5MilesBack said.

Time off is time off. I don't need my employer to budget for me. Pay me what I'm worth, I'll sort it out.