How much for hunting club\lease dues?

Swamp Fox

WKR
Down this way $1000 per year is cheap for a lease and theyre not getting cheaper unless youre in a club that has far too many members than the land can support
The rule should be 100 acres per person
300 acres per person minimum is the correct answer for serious hunters who are not AH's and who will hunt hard but not over-hunt a property -----Carolinas

Stalker69

WKR
300 acres, hell thats not enough to get to the top from camp. Could walk that by noon. You guys must sit in trees I take it ? Elk, mule deer, antelope that’s not nearly enough country.

OP
Brunson84

Brunson84

Lil-Rokslider
300 acres, hell thats not enough to get to the top from camp. Could walk that by noon. You guys must sit in trees I take it ? Elk, mule deer, antelope that’s not nearly enough country.

Not to say it’s easier by no means, but flat ground deer hunting is different, you don’t need as much land if done right, the deer bed and feed anywhere, they’re travel is not concentrated to a certain draw or ridge like in the mountains or steeper elevations from what I’ve seen. Sometimes there’s no telling which way they come from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoneyDew

WKR
6k$ in dues, 3 stands per member, unlimited guest invites, must shoot your quota of does... honestly the QDM is not the biggest pro for me, the amenities and river access are. But..I really enjoy out of state hunting and cannot justify doing both so that may be the deal breaker.
Maybe I’m missing something. What does river access get you if it’s locked up by shallows up and downstream? Are you fishing it? Are you basically treating this as a $6K fishing spot with a lodge? You could always be “that guy” and go in with a buddy or two and always bring them as guests and split the member dues.

KenLee

WKR
This is really sad to hear, but as development takes over and there are no “ wild” places left, this and high fence places will become the norm. As that happens, it’s unimaginable how much the places to “ shoot something” will cost. Boy I am glad I am on my way out of this world, and not just entering it. I just don’t think I could enjoy the hunt, if I had to “ rent” property to do it. But then maybe that’s the way a lot of you have done it your whole lives, and that normal ? I have only hunted national forests, BLM, and state lands my entire life. I really didn’t think, other then Texas, hunting land was this limited. Kinda of frightening, to think this is probably headed west. Hopefully I am nothing more then ashes when that happens here.
Large landowners in the South get much more $, and their land maintained better by hunt clubs than by leasing to the state.

KenLee

WKR
300 acres of good deer property in Upstate SC will bring $7500 per year. Yep, usually in a tree or elevated box stand.
Mature whitetails will ususlly leave the country if you go slipping around, so not alot of stalking.

I know this doesn't pertain to everyone especially when It comes to elk hunting (my dream hunt), just curious what others are paying for a deer hunting club or lease every year? Reason I ask, I may have the opportunity to join a club around my area that has a lot to offer outside of deer season, but also has a pretty price too. This place has sandbars and river access to an area that's secluded from public because of shallow rocks up river and down. Quality deer management, whitetail must be 4.5 yr old or better, plenty of hogs, decent duck hunting and turkeys, full cabin with sleeping quarters, kitchen, skinning shed, walk in cooler, 12k plus acres with minimal members. I can be very cheap when I want to be but I don't mind spending money when I feel that I'm getting my monies worth...
I see alot of clubs advertising on the GON saying things like 4.5 yr old, QDM, etc. then in their pics they have a bunch of 3.5 yr old 8 pts, and then say Oh that was little Johnny's first deer, etc. Many clubs talk the talk but they're shooting 120-130 inch bucks. If that's a 4.5 yr old deer then that's great, but in these instances Im talking about they are not

How many hunters on the 12K acres? For $6K for all of that, I'm guessing you probably have more hunters than you should, or the genetics are not very good in the area

Im much more concerned with killing a mature buck than inches of bone, but the way these clubs pitch their value offering rubs me the wrong way. If you can find a place where you have a legit chance at killing a 150 inch deer in the southeast and can access the property 24/7/365, you will probably be paying closer to $10K, and at that point, you may want to consider buying your own land anyway.

Last edited:
Good thread idea, I've enjoyed reading through this one.

I grew up hunting the same deer lease, family has been in it for over 30 years. After I hit college age, I had to become my own paying member, but I took a break for school, met my wife, got busy, and missed a few years.
In the meantime, I hunted a very small private property and took a few deer.

Got a call a few years ago about an open membership slot. Around 2k a year, 1,200 acres, maybe 10 members.
I decided to rejoin. Bought a small camp for about two grand from the next member that left, now I have a little shack to cook and sleep.
Best part? My parents are still members, so I get to bring my toddler up with me every weekend, even if my wife is working. Dad and I can hunt, my mother loves to babysit my little one.

My wife and I usually get 3-4 deer a season (Primitive and Rifle is roughly late Nov - end of Jan), only one or two guys turkey hunt in the spring... almost nobody squirrel hunts.

Most of the members I have known for over 30 years, so it's drama free, more like extended family. Heck, sometimes we have Thanksgiving dinner up there.

2k a year for a little shack of my own with a kitchen, 4 beds and a couple window units, plus opportunities to spend time with my family? It's worth every penny to me. I could think of worse ways to spend it. It's also open year around, so I haul steel targets up there frequently. I have some sight lines over 800 yards and can practice precision rifle, carbine and handgun stuff.

We border other leases, no high fences, but some decent deer (by Louisiana standards) are taken each year. I'm happy with a couple meat deer each season and time away from my desk job.

Profiler

Lil-Rokslider
$4500. 1500 acres private, room, board, barn, skinning shed etc. 60" TV, own lazy-boy. It's more of a social environment for me vs hunting (although the hunting is great)....Mississippi.

Mojave

WKR
I have been trying to find a West Texas that was worth a damn for a long time. I do not want to be on the border, and that limits things.

When I was in California I paid $3500 a year for a wild pig ranch in Southern California. Same place is now $6500. This did not include deer or elk. This only included 8 pig tags and unlimited coyotes, 1 bobcat tags and a bear tag.

You do not get what you pay for in California. The rest of the country is becoming the same way.

Swamp Fox

WKR
$4500. 1500 acres private, room, board, barn, skinning shed etc. 60" TV, own lazy-boy. It's more of a social environment for me vs hunting (although the hunting is great)....Mississippi.
Wait... They're feeding you, too?

How good's the cook, and how many members?

Asking for a friend ...

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
300 acres per person minimum is the correct answer for serious hunters who are not AH's and who will hunt hard but not over-hunt a property -----Carolinas
Well it’s certainly different up here in PA, for years our group of 10 hunted 300 acres. Now we are up to between 12 and 17 people and 500 acres spread across 3 different properties. Most of it is a mix of old family farms that we are friends with the owners along with some newer properties purchased by our family years ago. To buy that kind of property now would run roughly $1.6 Million to $2.65 Million based on the current per acre rates in the area.

When we did have a lease it was for an adjacent piece of timber property, I believe the lease for 125 acres was $1,200 a year total in the mid 2000s which works out to just under $10 an acre but that was before my time so I’m not certain on the price. I don’t know anyone who leases currently as most people I know who hunt do so with us and we don’t charge.

Swamp Fox

WKR
We have a long season. 10 on 300 or 12 on 500 would burn a parcel for the year within a few days. (If it hadn't already been burned by scouting, trail-riding, checking cameras, etc.)

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
We have a long season. 10 on 300 or 12 on 500 would burn a parcel for the year within a few days. (If it hadn't already been burned by scouting, trail-riding, checking cameras, etc.)
In our case now it’s 6 or 7 that use it most of the fall then 12 to 17 that show up for a few special weekends like our early muzzeloader and the 3 weekends in rifle season.

WKR
I bought a nice 80 acre place in central KS. Works out great for 2 bowhunters. Annual taxes are $140 a year. Its too small to risk a cabin on as I don't want mature bucks buggering off at midnight. But if you hunt it wisely you can see some good deer. We try to kill 1 solid buck a year there. I cut a little firewood, plant a few oaks, and generally kill time out there the rest of the year.

Feel blessed to have it and wish I had done it many years ago.

T-town

FNG
If you’re gonna spend the money, you have to spend time there to justify having the place IMO. Kids get grown up really quick, so if this lease will allow you to spend more time with them, it’s money well spent.

OP
Brunson84

Brunson84

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re gonna spend the money, you have to spend time there to justify having the place IMO. Kids get grown up really quick, so if this lease will allow you to spend more time with them, it’s money well spent.
As much as I'd love to, I do believe I'm going to pass on this club, I carry my kids with me as often as possible now and we don't lack any hunts or fishing . I don't want to join a place that will turn into feeling like another chore I have to make time to do, to make sure im getting my monies worth, 6K$ is a lot of money to me, and knowing myself.. out of state hunting would be off the table funds wise, and I would probably be there (new club) every spare moment and then some. This past year I had a blast hunting local public land and was successful, enjoyed an out of state hunt also. Me personally, I know in the past I have been in situations with a lease/club where I would rather hunt different places but feel obligated to go where my money is spent. Times that price by 3 and I couldn't imagine the pressure I would put on myself to get it done every season. Money can definitely buy you some fun but it can take the fun out of it also.