how many trips?

WKR
On the plains without camping gear, I have carried out a quartered mature whitetail. In the hills with camping gear I couldn't do it in one. The kids have boned out and carried two mature mule deer and half of camp in each pack in 1 trip. I guess it really comes down to the individual and what they are up to.

For any distance with any animal, give me quartered or boned out though vs dragging. Screw dragging anything over 200 yards in my experience. I've had more injuries dragging critters than packing them.

Foldem

WKR
Short distances make sense for two trips. Why spend all that time deboning, just pack up quarters, take a short walk, dump it, and go back for round two. That's easy peasy. I love that light walk in-between, some of my best miles!
Agree. I'm a fan of the leap-frog meat shuttling. I drop the bones the majority of the time though.

cjdewese

WKR
Did my 1st packout this year and did it in 1 trip. A buddy of mine carried my rifle which helped quite a bit but outside of that I had a 2 day camp and the deer on my back.

4 Quarters, back straps, tenderloins and neck meat along with just the head and I was a bit over 95 lbs total pack weight after dumping most of my water. Small deer where I live so take that for what it's worth but you are probably looking at 100 lbs+ in most cases so really depends on your physical ability.

svivian

WKR
How would one fit 4 bone-in quarters of a deer in a pack? Just a big ass pack?
i can usually stack them into two or even one main game bag and then just strapped it to the frame. One full mule deer isn't anymore than two bull elk quarters.

cjdewese

WKR
How would one fit 4 bone-in quarters of a deer in a pack? Just a big ass pack?
I did it in an outdoorz traverse backpack. Wasn't pretty but doable and there are a lot bigger and nicer packs than that.

Attachments

• Pack Out.jpg
    Pack Out.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 48

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
I packed my buck out in one trip this year; I boned it out and brought along a pack for the job. It was a slog but I made it. I work out all year, and really focus on packing over the summer. I'm 62, so I don't know how many more years I'll be doing that!

Jimss

WKR
If you bone it’s possible in one heck of a grueling one pack trip. If you add a large cape plus big set of antlers and skull plus camp in rough terrain forget about one trip! Trekking poles and a large bag, comfortable frame definitely help. If you have a cheap pack/frame you are in for a rude-awakening lesson with just one trip!

I did it in an outdoorz traverse backpack. Wasn't pretty but doable and there are a lot bigger and nicer packs than that.

Damn, I thought I was good at Tetris but you packed that meat tighter than the core of a uranium pit mid implosion. With head and cape! Bravo, sir.

TXCO

WKR
Ive packed out two muleys to camp whole and its not bad. I would take two trips depending on camp size, food, distance, etc if youre looking at that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on where I am. One trip if its a ways and I dont want to go back. Two trips if I can be back and forth in an hour or less.

Like others said its situational. I packed out my buck in one trip this year but it was only since it was within a couple hours if when we were leaving and it was only 2 miles and on relatively flat ground. If it was down in some hole or back in some nasty country it would definitely have been 2 trips. 1 trip is alot and all I had was just the basics for a day hunt.
4a156a5cd11fd3fdbd0cbecd3287df03.jpg

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

I just do 2 trips. One trip would be hard with all your hunting gear. When I go back for the second trip I don't have any gear. Very easy.

I have done 1 trip for entire deboned deer and cape and horns several times. While backpacking, i hunt with daypack: Kill deer, quarter and debone, go get frame pack from camp. Go load up all meat, headlamp, snacks, water, truck KEYS and head down to truck to transfer to cooler. Drink a beer and head up with empty pack. Bring camp and rifle back to truck next trip

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Do as many trips as you can stand.

You will pay for the 1 trip pack outs one day.

Rockin'A

FNG
I packed camp and the mule deer out in one trip in 2021, 3 miles all down hill, but ill make 2 trips from now on...

Geewhiz

WKR
I have never taken more than 1 trip to get a mule deer out of the woods, also I dont claim to be a "beast". I didnt weigh my buck from this year but did weigh 4 bone in quarters+skinned head+loose meat from a friends buck this fall and it came to 77 lbs. Granted it wasnt a giant deer, but that kind of weight should be fairly doable for most people.

I am talking with day hunt gear. With gobs of overnight gear I agree it would add a bit of difficulty.

I listened to some fellas go on and on about how big of a struggle they were having dragging a mule deer out of the woods. It was all over walkie-talkies and absolutely hilarious. Can’t for the life of me figure why they would drag something out of the woods that they would eventually need to cut up anyway. Carry the goofy thing in a pack, boned out for goodness sake.

Oh yeah, one trip -where I hunt at least