how many trips?

S.Clancy

WKR
I've one tripped them. A big buck (at least my big bucks) top out at 90-95 lbs total of bone-in quarters, backstraps, tendies, neck meat and the head. I haven't ever caped one, but that would add weight. You could also lose weight by boning them, I just never have. It is a lot nicer to pack them out in two trips than one, that much I can say.

S.Clancy

WKR
How would one fit 4 bone-in quarters of a deer in a pack? Just a big ass pack?
I packed an entire deer in a Black Diamond Speed 30 once, if you know that pack. Actually, "in" is prob not accurate, I had the meat sack, hinds and my gear on the inside and the fronts tied on the outside with the head and my rifle. It wasn't that fun.

S.Clancy

WKR
@Dos Perros Yes, they fit the best like that. I do that with elk front quarters as well. I've done it with one hind and one front (cow), it doesn't work as good. I have not tried it yet with 2 elk rear quarters...I have a sense that would go beyond my capabilities.

I’ve done a blacktail plus camp in one trip a handful of times. Usually prefer to kill a buck early in the trip, pack it out, then pack back in and keep hunting. Doing a big deer and camp in one shot is tough, 6 or 7 miles at 130lbs. But that cold beer in the cooler sure tastes good at the end.

Caped and qtrd a fat doe this year that scaled at 80 some pounds, I think 87lbs?

Plus rifle and chest harness

And camp..

After deciding cutting the trip a day short for the local brewery, dinner, a 3hr drive back to town sounded better.

Otherwise, I figure 2 trips minimum, 3-4 if there's some adventure I could snag

For the majority of my hunting I've always drug out a deer after shooting. I'm thinking about going the the quartering route and packing it out. Is it possible to get a deer out in one trip? Two? How many does it normally take you?
Take the time to debone and trim the meat a little cape the skull and remove the bottom jaw you will have to embrace the suck and have a good pack but it can be one trip. Just quartered bone in will take you 2 for sure.