How many pins on a Tommy Hogg

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Hello. I'm planning on getting a Tommy Hogg. After Aron's video on 3rd axis I think it makes sense to step up a bit. I plan on hunting with it and shooting outdoor ranges. I would like to be able to shoot long distances for practice (100 yds or so). I'm not sure how many pins to get. I like the simplicity of 1 pin, but have never had a 1 pin sight. I could see the benefit of a few more for quick shots at various distances. I've heard of people having their fletch hit the sight when cranked up in yardage and wonder if a small housing is better, or if more pins in a larger housing would allow for further shooting (last pin closer to housing)? Any advice would be appreciated. Also of you could give the rational I would be grateful.

Thanks

Jake

I like 7 pins.
It allows me to shoot out to 80 without touching the dial .
I've been using 7 for many years, so I'm comfortable with the housing being full.

I also count/pin down when animals are past 50. Meaning I start at the 80 yard pin and drop in to 50 for faster target acquisition.

I have the tommy hogg.

I like the seven pin site that way I don't have to mess with it out to 80 yds.

I sight mine in with the 50 pin dead center of the large dial. that way you can see the center pin and either go up a pin or down quickly depending on the yardage. very simple this way to know the yardage pin.

Thanks for the input. Which pin do you guys use with the slider?

I run 5. Less clutter in my sight picture and it covers 95% of the distances I feel comfortable with in most hunting situations.

I liked 3 when I had one, 20,30,40 that's really the range I want to shoot at game animals, and I've found that if they are more then 40 I've got time to range and really dial in. I'm amazed at how many guys shoot 7, I Tryed it and didn't like how much of the sight window was cut off for my 20 yard pin. Large guard no matter what for me.

I sight mine in with the 50 pin dead center of the large dial. that way you can see the center pin and either go up a pin or down quickly depending on the yardage. very simple this way to know the yardage pin.

This is also what I do. The longest shot I've taken at an animal is 71, but I love 7 pins. Can easily get out to 100 at the range gapping pins.

I have a 3 pin boss Hogg and like it ok. The thing I don't like about a movable multi pin sight is when you have to move it. With 3 pins when you move it you have to remember which pin you sighted in at 50,60,70etc.

That being said I think I am going back to a single pin when I set up my new cs turbo.

I can't do a sight with more than 5 pins. It clusters my mind. I like a 5 pin ok but I think I shoot better the less pins I have

I run 5. Less clutter in my sight picture and it covers 95% of the distances I feel comfortable with in most hunting situations.

Same here and large housing for me too. If an animal is past 60 and I want to take a shot there should be more than enough time to adjust the sight and if there isn't it's not a long shot I'd be willing to take. For my draw length the large housing also fits just inside the sight picture of the biggest G5 titanium peep I use.

Last year I used a Hogg It 7 pin. I ain't good enough to shoot at an animal much past 60ish right now, but I wanted the extra couple pins for practice reasons.

I just got my custom Tommy Hog in the mail. I went with a 5 pin this time. The 7 pins didn't bug me, but less is nicer. And since I would never likely be shooting at animals beyond 60 or so, it made sense with a slider to go 5. I can now just use my 60 yd pin for extended range practice by dialing.

If you're comfortable with 70-80 yd shots on animals, 7 pins makes sense. Just depends I guess.

I have a tommy Hogg with a single up pin! Very clear sight picture which makes me shoot way better.

I have another tommy Hogg with 5 pins. Since the sight is able to adjust 5 pins is good. If it was fixed and couldn't move I would use 7 pins

I love the single pin! With the trick pin system I learned on here. From my experience elk are usually being called in or moving when you get shots at them. The trick pin system works really well for elk sized game. I can aim for the heart and let physics of the rest from 10-40 yards. Mule deer I usually stalk while they are in their beds and have more time to range adjust pin.. My accuracy has really increased since switching to single pin Hogg Father.

Last edited:
For folks who struggle quickly counting pins on the 7 pin sights, you might look at painting some fo the pin bodies so you can tell which is which. I paint the 40 and 60 pins white for quick acquisition.

5 in a small housing. But I shoot a small peep and center individual pins.

You center the pin rather than the housing?

Single Pin Tommy Hogg- Have used this sight for 4 years and it is super effective, small fiber .10. If it is a shoot worth taking you have time to range and adjust to the exact yardage. Focus on one pin-one spot, one patch of hair- level bubble- touch off release- follow through- Dead Deer. My average kill has been over 60 yards, longest kill very far, closest 25 yards. I had the Cam Hanes 7 Pin prior never killed a thing but to be fair I don't think this sight had a 3rd axis adjustment. You may also consider your prey are you calling elk in or stalking bucks in open terrain where a long shot is the norm.

this seems to be a very very subjective topic. I have seen anything from 7 pin to 1 pin sliders.... I am in the camp that the reason that I shoot a 1 slider is to avoid pin confusion. Thus, I will only ever shoot 1 pin. I set if for 35 yards, it hits 3.5 high at 20, 1 high at 30, 4.5 low at 40, 9 low at 45 and 15 low at 50, for the entire summer I almost never move my pin if i am inside of 45 yards. The way I see it, from essentially 10 -40 I am in the kill zone if i hold right on.... but OBVIOUSLY if I know the yardage I will hold a smidge high or low.

If the animal is outside of 40 yards, I am not confident enough in my ranging abilities so I have to use the rangefinder... it takes an extra 1.5 seconds to adjust the sight pin after that.

I know lots of guys shoot 7pin sliders, absolutely nothing wrong with that if that's how you roll. I just feel that I am personally never going to take a shot over 80 yards at a game animal, so I dont need the ability to slide it out while hunting if i have 7 pins.... essentially, i feel like 7 pins is plenty and teh slider just consts extra and weighs more at that point. I shot BHFS field for years and was only allowed 5 pins to shoot out to 85 yards and got pretty good at just gapping and stackin pins

Back