How many pins on a Tommy Hogg

OP
ceng

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
For those with 1, 3, 5 or 7 what's the max range you have shot and not had fletching hit the sight?

JasonWi

WKR
I ran the 5 pin when it was on my hunting bow, I just took it off and put a single pin head on it to use with my target bow. I had no issues shooting out to 120 and still had plenty of room vane wise.

Tilzbow

WKR
For those with 1, 3, 5 or 7 what's the max range you have shot and not had fletching hit the sight?

Large housing, 5 pin and I can shoot to 140. That's as long as my tape went. I think this is based on the individual, your draw length and the distance of the peep from the arrow so be careful drawing conclusions that what works for others will work for you. Also for consideration is your arrow weight and speed. I shoot 435 grains at 305 FPS and can get 140 out of the tape. I also have about a 560 grain combo that shoots about 270 and can't get much more than 110 out of that setup.

Last edited:

ChanceH

FNG
I too have the custom 5 pin, Large housing, wrapped Tommy Hogg with pins in size .19, .19, .19, .10, .10. You can start at 20 and go to 60 or start at 30 and go to 70. This works best for me, because I can shoot at an animal at my comfortable range without ever having to move the dial. And in that unfortunate case of a marginal shot with a follow up allowed, I can dial where I want.

I find the slider however, is most beneficial for practice, and gaining confidence in your shooting to make the closer shots under 60 that much easier. But it is there if you need to take a follow up on game.

Just a few weeks ago I stalked up on a nice 3 x 3 out near Big Bend in West Texas and shot him under a cliff below me. He got up and ran, stopped at 70 yards like he hadnt even been hit, so I dialed to 70 and put another one behind his shoulder. Without the slider I would have been guessing holdover, and in the heat of the moment could have messed up.

I am shooting 298 FPS and a 475 Gr arrow and get 125 yards before I lose clearance. I may adjust peep height after season and gain a little more.

Another note, I use my wifes label maker with the plastic sticky tape it spits out and a small font to tape on the thick base of the pins on 20 - 40 - 60 yards in case my mind craps out during the shot.

OP
ceng

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
I think this is based on the individual, your draw length and the distance of the peep from the arrow so be careful drawing conclusions that what works for others will work for you. Also for consideration is your arrow weight and speed.

Thanks, that sounds like solid advice. I just wanted to make sure It would be feasible. I think I'm leaning towards a 5 pin. I don't know that I can do the mental gymnastics of a 7 pin with enough confidence while hunting. I hope to be shooting similar speeds and arrow weight. We'll see.

I've been curious why the tommy seems more popular than the boss ?? It seems with the dial up front it would make changing yardage more difficult.

Why don't more people run a cat quiver attached to their pack?? I don't practice or want to shoot with a quiver. Even a tight spot.

I've been curious why the tommy seems more popular than the boss ?? It seems with the dial up front it would make changing yardage more difficult.

ive owned both... the boss gets sloppy after a while and the wheel doesnt correspond with the pin movement... at least mine did. Plus i think it is significantly heavier than the tommy. the Dial in the back is ok, but you end up having to jack the quiver way out away from the bow to get it to work right. I find the tommy and tight spot combo is perfect because the tight spot sits so close to the bow that it is really easy to see the wheel

Joe

Why don't more people run a cat quiver attached to their pack?? I don't practice or want to shoot with a quiver. Even a tight spot.

convenience... 90% of the time i drop my pack for the final stalk. Nice to have the arrows with you and not a mile back after your first one shanks a tree and the bull gives you another chance.

Joe

OP
ceng

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Can You change pin sizes on a head yourself? For example, If I had a 5 pin .019 head could I change the bottom 3 pins to .010? Or does it have to be"custom built" from spot hogg?are the pins in the "housing" or "wrap" portion? If you have a 7 pin large housing and buy a 5 pin wrap is that all you need to convert it?

Thanks.

Jake

Pins are part of sight... not wrap. You would have to change the wrap and the pins. You can order the pins from spot hog... but I also think you can send it back to hogg and they'll switch it out.

That said... I have shot lots of pins and lots of venues. I cannot shoot the .010 pin for anything but my 3d sight with an lap light. I have .019 on everything and have never felt like it was too big, especially at hunting yardages. I would be worried about seeing the tiny pins at dusk and dawn.

But that's just me

Joe

OP
ceng

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
I was curious because I saw wraps or wrap kits for sale with pins.

I got a custom boss hogg from sandsarchery.. I got a .19 pin for my top pin and .10 pins for my other 2

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
7 Pins and I can get about 130 yards. This is largely a function of your peep height and of course velocity. I usually try to set my rover (bottom pin) right above the level so it's low in the housing and the level is in clear view for long range shots. Helps me get the most distance out of the sight makes it easier to monitor the level.

A single pin sight will eventually cost you a shot opportunity hunting out west if you use it long enough (from experience). It may help you shoot a little more accurately but it will definitely slow you down a lot.

DC

A single pin sight will eventually cost you a shot opportunity hunting out west if you use it long enough (from experience). It may help you shoot a little more accurately but it will definitely slow you down a lot.

DC

It's all personal preference... I would not say it slows me down at all. It comes down to what works best for you and ultimately practice. I would say that having multiple pins on a slider will eventually bite you on the butt if you use it enough. Forget to move the slider back, pick the wrong pin etc. I dont know how many times i have seen or heard stories of people using the wrong pin in the heat of the moment. In fact, I would argue that missing a shot opportunity due to moving a sight is much more desirable than using your 30 pin at 40 yards and wounding game.

ALL personal, no right way, no hard and fast rules. Shoot what works best for you and your style and the biggest, single most important thing to do is PRACTICE with your set up till you are extremely comfortable in all situations.

Joe

I used a single pin during the 2013 season. I used Darin's trick pin system with great success. Ha my single pin set on the trick distance when walking around. If a shot presented itself quick then I aimed 12 inches low. If I had time to move the dial I did.

I made a heart shot on a whitetail. Happened fast On the ground 17 yards using the trick pin.

OP
ceng

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
I guess every system has it's limits or pitfalls. I could see a single pin with the trick system being awesome until I accidentally dialed and then held 12" low. Though on the plus side it's almost a sure miss if I did that and not a wounding which could happen by using the wrong pin. Man lots to think about.

OP
ceng

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought on target 2 and ran the bow I ordered with some theoretical numbers for the trick pin system. It says if I use a single pin set at 68 yds 12" below the target I should be good from 16 yds to 56 yds. That's impressive.