How many pins on a Tommy Hogg

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's all personal preference... I would not say it slows me down at all. It comes down to what works best for you and ultimately practice. I would say that having multiple pins on a slider will eventually bite you on the butt if you use it enough. Forget to move the slider back, pick the wrong pin etc. I dont know how many times i have seen or heard stories of people using the wrong pin in the heat of the moment. In fact, I would argue that missing a shot opportunity due to moving a sight is much more desirable than using your 30 pin at 40 yards and wounding game.

ALL personal, no right way, no hard and fast rules. Shoot what works best for you and your style and the biggest, single most important thing to do is PRACTICE with your set up till you are extremely comfortable in all situations.

Joe

I guess a single pin rover is not slower if the animal walks out at the range you happen to have your sight set for and then stays there until you shoot. I've just witnessed first hand several guys flail with single pin rover sights. Making a sight adjustment under pressure while trying not to get busted or spook an already alert deer is not ideal. My experience goes something like this... First you range a buck at 60, adjust the sight, draw back, inevitably the buck moves. Your buddy calls out new range for you at 74, let down, move sight, draw bow, buck moves again, he's getting away now, take a wild ass guess and miss. Filmed a world champion field shooter miss 4 nice muleys in a week. Three out of the four probably would have bit the dust if he'd had even 5 fixed pins. He later shot an antelope that another hunter wounded. He smoked it at 151 yards - the difference was that the wounded speed-goat stood still long enough for him to dial and shoot. Single pin may not be an issue depending on how and where you hunt and also the ranges that you typically choose to shoot.

I can certainly buy into the simplicity of the single pin system for certain situations - especially if pin confusion is a mistake you have issues with. As you said it's all personal and you should definitely tailor your sight to fit your strengths and weaknesses.

DC

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I used a single pin during the 2013 season. I used Darin's trick pin system with great success. Ha my single pin set on the trick distance when walking around. If a shot presented itself quick then I aimed 12 inches low. If I had time to move the dial I did.

I made a heart shot on a whitetail. Happened fast On the ground 17 yards using the trick pin.

Cool!! I shot 2 bull elk using the trick pin this year ~35 yards and ~25 yards.

OR Archer

WKR
Can You change pin sizes on a head yourself? For example, If I had a 5 pin .019 head could I change the bottom 3 pins to .010? Or does it have to be"custom built" from spot hogg?are the pins in the "housing" or "wrap" portion? If you have a 7 pin large housing and buy a 5 pin wrap is that all you need to convert it?

Thanks.

Jake

Yes you can. Its very easy to do.