How many hunting rifles do you have?

I am at a point where I have 6 very solid hunting rifles but for some reason I am always looking for a new one haha Is a seventh overkill? I know it is definitely unnecessary but was curious on what my fellow Roksliders think/ have.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I mean you can never have too many but honestly you can only use one at a time, maybe take a second for backup? I do the same thing though…

I am at a point where I have 6 very solid hunting rifles but for some reason I am always looking for a new one haha Is a seventh overkill? I know it is definitely unnecessary but was curious on what my fellow Roksliders think/ have.
I’ll preface my post that I’m pretty minimalist, so I’ve been pairing down my rifle count and only have 3 rifles. I have found I like spending more time shooting less rifles to be more familiar and confident in that rifle. I only shoot 2-300 rounds a year so this probably doesn’t apply to guys who shoot everyday.

I’m not sure what 7 rifles you would need for hunting scenarios though. I’ll lay out what I would think would cover most hunting situations below.

1) Fast 22 cal for varmint (and big game if you’re in a 22 legal state)
2) 6mm for deer and pronghorn and fun low recoil gun to shoot
3) 6.5mm for larger animals and longer distance
I think these 3 would cover almost all hunters but a few specialty applications below.

4) ELR rig in a heavy setup big 30 if you’re hunting at long ranges very frequently
5) Big bore if you hunt Africa a lot or something
6) lever gun in 30-30 or 45-70 if you timber hunt a lot at close ranges or have a nostalgia thing
7) straight wall cartridge if you hunt in places that require it

I think it’s pretty unlikely someone would meet all these specialty cases, but it’s your money and rifle collection.

WKR
Lay in ammo or components for the 7. Or upgrade stocks or optics. I see no point in adding more.

OP
CoHunter1991
Yeah right now I’m sitting on a:
6.5 cm
6.5-300 WBY mag
270 win
280 ai
300 WM

Been kicking around a 308 or 7 PRC

I’ve sold some off but now down to:

Tikka UPR 6.5 CM (primary)
Tikka CTR 308
Howa Mini 6mm ARC
Interarms Mark X 30-06
Ruger 10/22 .22

Yeah right now I’m sitting on a:
6.5 cm
6.5-300 WBY mag
270 win
280 ai
300 WM

Been kicking around a 308 or 7 PRC
What would a 308 do that your 6.5 cm can’t, and what would the 7 PRC do that your 280AI can’t?

That’s what I’d be asking myself. You could also consider rebarreling one of your existing rifles to these calibers if there’s one that doesn’t get much use.

OP
CoHunter1991
What would a 308 do that your 6.5 cm can’t, and what would the 7 PRC do that your 280AI can’t?

That’s what I’d be asking myself. You could also consider rebarreling one of your existing rifles to these calibers if there’s one that doesn’t get much use.
That is the exact question I have been asking myself for weeks. The answer is probably nothing.

I have debated rebarreling but seems like extra work and I love all my current guns

I think having more guns is fun. A whole lot of my guns are classics or heirlooms so my count doesn’t apply to a lot of people.

45-90
375h&h
300h&h
300wm
30-06
30-30
6.5-284
6.5creed
6.5prc
44mag
357mag
22-250
22mag
22lr

I like different guns for different scenarios and hunt styles. We have an mld property in Tx so I get to kill 10+ deer a year. That leaves lots of room for different guns for fun.

If I had to pick 3 CALIBERS to hunt the world I’d go with 300wm, 6.5prc (or6.5-284), and a 22mag.

If I had to pick 3 of those to keep GUNS for the rest of my life they would be 300h&h, 6.5-284, and 22lr.

When I think of buying a new on every now and then I have to ask myself what it would do that none of my others would do. It’s been coming down to cost of ammo when I think of getting another caliber and not really a space it would fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ll preface my post that I’m pretty minimalist, so I’ve been pairing down my rifle count and only have 3 rifles. I have found I like spending more time shooting less rifles to be more familiar and confident in that rifle. I only shoot 2-300 rounds a year so this probably doesn’t apply to guys who shoot everyday.

I’m not sure what 7 rifles you would need for hunting scenarios though. I’ll lay out what I would think would cover most hunting situations below.

1) Fast 22 cal for varmint (and big game if you’re in a 22 legal state)
2) 6mm for deer and pronghorn and fun low recoil gun to shoot
3) 6.5mm for larger animals and longer distance
I think these 3 would cover almost all hunters but a few specialty applications below.

4) ELR rig in a heavy setup big 30 if you’re hunting at long ranges very frequently
5) Big bore if you hunt Africa a lot or something
6) lever gun in 30-30 or 45-70 if you timber hunt a lot at close ranges or have a nostalgia thing
7) straight wall cartridge if you hunt in places that require it

I think it’s pretty unlikely someone would meet all these specialty cases, but it’s your money and rifle collection.

This is a great breakdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hnthrdr

WKR
Like always take the same one?
No like tinker with all my stuff and have way too many “hunting” rifles when in reality I basically take one of two rifles every time haha. I think I have 5 and am going to build a 6th dedicated hunting rifle, right now it’s only between 2 big game rifles in 6.5 cm and I have 2 varmit rifles in .223 (in co so can’t hunt big game with .223)

The amount of rifles I may or may not have vs the amount of rifles I hunt with or may hunt with are 2 completely different things.

When it comes to big game I essentially only hunt with 1

If would be a rare occasion/specific type of hunt for me to hunt with something different.

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
I landed on 3 rifles for hunting. My holy trinity consists of:

AR in 5.56
Bolt rifle in 6.5PRC
Bolt rifle in 7PRC

Fatcamp

WKR
I have one hunting rifle. Well, and a muzzleloader, so two rifles.

I have other rifles, but these are all I hunt with.

Well, I guess I do have a backup rifle I have killed deer with, but I don't really hunt with it most of the time. Ya, and I guess I do have twin muzzleloaders because you never know when the primary will have a problem.

So I guess four rifles. And a .22, but thats mostly for practice unless I'm squirrel hunting. Does squirrel hunting count? Probably, so five. Five rifles.

Wait, now that I think about it coyote guns probably do count. What if I don't have scopes on them now? Hmmm, probably. So eight. Eight rifles. But that's it.

I think. 😐