How long do you ice age?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Every animal the last 2 years has gone through the ice aging process. Does it help? I dunno, but it sure makes me feel good! I usually do 10-12 days. Not sure what the “max” would be before spoilage? How long do you ice age and what’s the longest you’ve ice aged?

Rich M

WKR
I did a little looking around and I'm not familiar with that process. What is it?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
when you keep the quarters in a cooler on ice.

I typically do 7-10 days. Drain the cooler before work and after work. Add ice as necessary.

I have a fridge in garage and when I age stuff in there it gets slimey. Prefer cooler & ice. Best way is being able to hang critter for a week or two or three. Down here, too warm for that.

A good way to age steaks is to cut them and vac seal. Throw in fridge for 10-14 days and then freeze. steaks come out pretty good this way.

KsRancher

WKR
We do 7-10 days. We used to just work it up ASAP. And man, 10 days in a cooler sitting on ice and that meat is in a different class. We try and keep it all bone in. But can't on straps and loins. Hopefully have an elk on ice in 12 days

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
My group bought a refrigerated trailer partly for this purpose. I hung my elk for 12 days this year and it worked great. I’ll add a track system at some point to make hanging easier.

Even better though is it has taps so we can get the full effect at deer camp 😬

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpeg
    IMG_0094.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1629.jpeg
    IMG_1629.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 110

TSAMP

WKR
I do cooler aging. Usually with frozen jugs instead of ice. Easy to add more and not have to drain. I keep a thermometer inside as well.

Usually 3-5 days. It's more about when I see a window of time to do it rather then a set number.

Read1t48

WKR
when you keep the quarters in a cooler on ice.

I typically do 7-10 days. Drain the cooler before work and after work. Add ice as necessary.

I

We do 7-10 days. We used to just work it up ASAP. And man, 10 days in a cooler sitting on ice and that meat is in a different class. We try and keep it all bone in. But can't on straps and loins. Hopefully have an elk on ice in 12 days

Do you put the meat in any bags or liners or let it sit in the ice and just drain 2x per day or so?
I'm curious and want to try it.

I dry aged mine this year for 15 days in a cooler. It made a lot of difference on a 10yr. old bull (not even the backstraps were initially tender), but I have to go back and forth to the locker. A cooler would allow me to do it at home.

What size coolers are you guys using? My Roosevelt was almost 400lbs of quarters and loose meat. I would need some COOLER(s)

KsRancher

WKR
Do you put the meat in any bags or liners or let it sit in the ice and just drain 2x per day or so?

I dry aged mine this year for 15 days in a cooler. It made a lot of difference on a 10yr. old bull (not even the backstraps were initially tender), but I have to go back and forth to the locker. A cooler would allow me to do it at home.

What size coolers are you guys using? My Roosevelt was almost 400lbs of quarters and loose meat. I would need some COOLER(s)
I put 60lbs of ice in the bottom of a 210qt cooler. Then a black contractor bag. Meat on that with drain plug in but loose enough it drains as it melts

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I don't at all. If I could have it all packaged and in the freezer while its still warm, I would. It's not that big a deal with deer and such. Fish, the fresher the better.

KsRancher

WKR

My one and only elk I shot I used a 210qt and 2-150qt coolers. It was 20° with snow on the ground the night I shot my elk. I left the meat in game bags hanging the first night. So they were cold going in the coolers. And it was in the 50's and 60's during the day and 40's at night for the next 10 days. The initial ice was still probably a third of left. The meat was so cold my hands ached processing it.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I start with wire racks in bottom of ice chest to keep meat out of ice., then a layer of boned meat cover with ice, meat, ice , meat ice, until chest is full. Last layer is ice. I keep drain open with chest slightly elevated at opposite end of drain. Check it every day to keep meat covered with ice, this is a must. Make sure chest is draining good, if not clear drain. You don't want meat sitting in water. I let it got between 7 and 10 days. I have done several Elk this way, they came out great.

Read1t48

WKR
I start with wire racks in bottom of ice chest to keep meat out of ice., then a layer of boned meat cover with ice, meat, ice , meat ice, until chest is full. Last layer is ice. I keep drain open with chest slightly elevated at opposite end of drain. Check it every day to keep meat covered with ice, this is a must. Make sure chest is draining good, if not clear drain. You don't want meat sitting in water. I let it got between 7 and 10 days. I have done several Elk this way, they came out great.
Good explanation. Is the meat in bags of some kind or directly on the ice?

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
First few times I tried to keep the meat out of the water. I don’t think it matters, unless a little graying on the outside bothers you. Now I just dump it in there. Make sure it’s cool prior, warm meat on top of warm meat can cause spoilage issues.

Pro953

WKR
Cooler/ice aging is similar to the principal of wet aging in a vac bag.

The first few times it was not intentional, just due to the time I had to cut and wrap everything in the evenings when I was home. It certainly does help.

A few animals I have not let sit on ice long enough, I just thaw them in the fridge and leave them for 4-5 days then cook it tends to have a similar effect.

Your meat MUST be clean in my opinion to do this well or things can get funky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tl15

Lil-Rokslider
I let my deer and hog chill for 10-11 days. I find the biggest improvement is in flavor. I haven’t had a single person ever pick up on the fact they were eating 100% ground game meat. I don’t think there is a big difference in steak cut tenderness on the younger animals we tend to harvest here in south Texas.