Fatigue / Pain Management on long hunts

gostovp

WKR
I'm a late-to-the-game middle aged wanna-be poser elk hunter, and my question is how do you manage fatigue/muscle pain on long hunts (like 10 to 14 days)....As a 49 year old, I do my best to get my body ready for the upcoming season (rucking, weight training, cardio, hiking, hill training), but as others in the same age category how do you keep your body from breaking down on those grueling, grinding hunts? I mean after a few days of good work outs here in the flatlands of WI I can feel my joints and muscles just saying 'slow down a little bit'...

Other than trying to get as much quality sleep as possible, staying hydrated, and making sure to eat enough, are there any other tips or tricks you have to keep the body from breaking down? Ibuprofen and Tylenol cocktails?

Jaquomo

WKR
I'm 69 and spend the whole month of September in the elk woods. I take a morning or a day off now and then when I start to feel fatigue creeping in, and use that downtime to check out new spots or glass, or drive around to see who is hunting/parking where. Taking a morning or a day off pays off in the long run, because a fatigued hunter is a sloppy hunter. It recharges the batteries. I also work out almost year round, but don't kill myself. Lots of hiking with a pack and high-rep/low weight workouts.

Another thing that has REALLY helped with joint stiffness is high quality CBD-CBG twice a day under the tongue. That has been a life changer since a former Special Ops friend turned me onto it. My knee stiffness and soreness is a thing of the past.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Medications like Tylenol or ibuprofen are only going to mask the pain of your body breaking down.

Focusing on your fitness, specifically hiking in rugged terrain with a pack for extended periods of time, before your hunt will drive the biggest benefit. Also like you mentioned you need to have your hydration, nutrition and sleep optimized before and during the hunt.

My first elk hunt I lost 10lbs over a week because I was eating only 2,500 calories a day. I now eat over 4,000 calories on hunts and still lose weight. Don’t overlook electrolytes either. Even if you’re consuming enough water you’ll need a way to replace the electrolytes you’re losing.

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting solo lets me move at my own pace. I’m 56 and can still cover the country pretty good but I also know when to slow down and rest. If I hunt with younger guys I tend to push myself past my limits which isn’t good. My biggest concern is trying not to hurt myself in blowdown or wet conditions. I did 10 days by myself last year and I think that was my max. I was pretty much spent after day 8. Of course it’s a lot easier if you are seeing elk everyday. I saw 3 legal bulls in 10 days and only a couple cows and spikes. It wears on you mentally and physically when you aren’t seeing much. Electrolyte water all day everyday as well.

Idaboy

WKR
Take 10" every morning and 15-20" each night to stretch, roll out stiff muscles and do flexibility/range of motion exercise....have been doing that for back and legs and it's worth the effort...water bottle or something that rolls to roll out muscles

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
yeah I know what CBD is (and what its derived from) , but have never heard of CBG.

Jaquomo

WKR
I don't understand it, but one is an "agonist" and one is an "antagonist" of receptors, so they balance each other out. I know CBD helped, but the synergistic effect of the two seem to work better for me. YMMV

buddtc

FNG
First, get your mobility WAAAAY up. On YouTube, look up "MobilityWOD"- they have stretches for your different joints specifically.

Second, build up you muscular endurance: If you are going to be hunting the mountains, add in some weighted box step-ups (throw some weight in your pack and step onto an elevated surface). However, try to make sure the box height is close to your stride length. I like to add these at the end of a workout, when everything is fatigued.

Third, a good supplement. As was previously mentioned, Tylenol and Ibuprofen only mask it and can cause serious long term issues. I suggest glucosamine w/ some added goodies:

https://lumanutrition.com/collections/all-products/products/glucosamine-chondroitin-msm

About the same age. I used to elk hunt at 270+ pounds. At 195 lbs, it's a lot easier now.

Former issues improved with a good training program that includes appropriate and periodized weight training in all weight, rep, and set ranges, primarily full body compound lifts. Cardio with emphasis on endurance and low impact steady state training helped a ton. Some ruck training included. And some mobility work to address acute and chronic issues has been impactful. I find the more intentional off season I am with improving and maintaining fitness, the better I tend to perform in season., it is a 365 endeavor.

On point hydration and nutrition, including electrolyte replacement for tough days has helped. Also keeping gut health in check during season and out is a priority for me. If I'm truck camping (usually do) plenty of fresh meat, veggies, and fruit, when I can.

Moving at my own pace helps a bunch. I hunt M-F primarily and spend weekends with the family. Last year I hit 180 miles in 16 days of hunting with at least 2 days being mostly rain and spot bugling from the truck. The rest were cat road shuffle days on closed logging roads looking for sign and bugles in NW MT. I'm not competing for most athletic elk hunter, I'm just wanting to kill elk my way.

One thing I do different than a few others, I utilize diclofenac sodium gel as needed in season for localized muscle/ joint/arthritis pain and abstain using it outside of season. I don't need it much and i think like other NSAIDs, effectiveness is reduced with continuous use.

I'm not an animal on the mountain or in life like several of my buddies. I tend to hunt solo so i don't slow anyone else down and in turn no one slows me down either. Trial and error sucks but it's the only way to for sure dial in a system for you and like all other things in life, change is inevitable. Roll with the punches then come back up swinging! Best of luck and God bless.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm almost 58 now, and like Jacuomo I'll hunt most of September. The muscle thing I don't feel as much. For me it's my neck and back (upper and lower) and knees. But quite frankly, by the end of the season I feel better overall than at the start of the season. But I'm pretty good at ignoring pain. I also have no problem sleeping in every now and then and/or just taking some time off. Half a day fly fishing does wonders for me, especially with a pan filled with Brookies for lunch.

UncleBone

WKR
I find that inflamation is a big problem for me, as well as some muscle cramping. If I cut out sugar, starches, processed foods etc, and eat a carnivore or keto diet, I don't really suffer from those at all. I feel like all the animal fat really lubes my joints up. Like others have said, tylenol justs masks the problem.

Marble

WKR
@gostovp

Exercise year round. Don't need to be in crazy shape but it helps to go year round. Practice doing what you will actually be doing. Not just stuff in the gym.

Hydrate more than you think.

Daily NSAIDS

LOW/No sugar, it's an inflammatory

Stretch in the morning and through the day.

It's a marathon, not a race. Hunt smarter, not harder.

Quality food

Take breaks during the day, and every few days, try to have a low impact day.

Get good rest.

Soreness is ok. Joint pain can be difficult. Know the difference between having discomfort and an injury.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Daily NSAIDS aren't going to be rough on your liver/kidneys?

I fully agree with proper food, hydration, and quality sleep. Electrolytes makes sense.