How is the outer layer Holding up?

Rizzy

WKR
Those that used the rain gear as the outer layer last season, what did you use, how many days, and how did it hold up?

The Boundary Stormtight, Koldo, and Yukon where designed to be more durable and used as an outer layer as well as rain gear. The advantage is that you can eliminate your soft shell.

I have tried this with my Chugach pants and had good results, but have had a hard time committing to it because I am concerned about the real world durability over time as it's really not designed to be worn all the time. My cabelas rain gear top is not breathable so I have not used it unless I had too.

I still carry and use my shoft shell most of the time just for a durable layer that I can sit against rocks while glassing, take a nap on the ground, etc.
I am looking into a new system this year and would like to give the rain gear as an outer layer another shot now that these garments have been on the market for a significant amount of time.

Koldo did just fine for me, wore it a LOT last season, and even some outside of hunting season.

I used the Yukon jacket every day last fall. Easily 60 days in the field from sheep, goat,deer, and moose hunting. It has held up very well and kept me dry in the rain and snow. Only downside I have seen is the dwr wore off very fast and I had to send the jacket back to kuiu to get the elastic cuffs fixed. I have to admit I am very hard on clothing and gear.

Used the Koldo last season. Was on horseback in thick deadfall most of the time. I thought for sure one of the hundreds of pokes and scrapes from tree branches would have ripped it or poked a hole in it but it held up perfectly with absolutely no rips or tears.

Koldo did just fine for me, wore it a LOT last season, and even some outside of hunting season.

Encouraging to hear, the Koldo certainly seems to be the best durable to price garment.
Are you going to use the same system this season or have you found something better after doing the puffy tests?

I used the Yukon jacket every day last fall. Easily 60 days in the field from sheep, goat,deer, and moose hunting. It has held up very well and kept me dry in the rain and snow. Only downside I have seen is the dwr wore off very fast and I had to send the jacket back to kuiu to get the elastic cuffs fixed. I have to admit I am very hard on clothing and gear.

How wet did you get when the DWR wore off?

my chugach does that too, i didn't know its from the dwr wearing off. I still stay dry as well so far.

Encouraging to hear, the Koldo certainly seems to be the best durable to price garment.
Are you going to use the same system this season or have you found something better after doing the puffy tests?

Probably, depends on if I have something else to test honestly.

I guess the other dilemma is to either go with the heavy duty puffy and light rain gear or go with the light puffy and heavy duty rain gear :)

my chugach does that too, i didn't know its from the dwr wearing off. I still stay dry as well so far.

I still use a pair chugach pants but sold the jacket to get the yukon. It is a lot more durable than the chugach line, feels about twice as thick just to give you some reference. I wore holes in the chugach pants during the first season that I had to patch, the yukon has taken a good beating, and other than stains and the cuff issue there is no signs of any wear on it.

I wore my Yukon gear through some of the worst alder/ salmonberry bush jungle imaginable on my sheep hunt last year with no issues at all. The Yukon pants were all I wore for the hunt and all I'm taking on this years sheep hunt. When the sun was out I zipped down the hip zippers a bit to vent and when it started to rain I'd zip them up and be good to go. It's awesome having a pant that you can hike in the sheep mountains that breathes well, completely water proof and super durable. Highly recommend

its interesting that one doesn't see any recommendations for Filson Single Tin pants for a bottom layer. I have a pair that is going on 12 or 13 years old and they are bomb proof for hunting in wet conditions or in snow. I sometimes just wear these and don't even bring rain pants depending on the circumstance and known conditions. Its an old school solution and sometimes is okay to go retro on the mountain

Back