Sitka jacket as a durable outer layer

prm

WKR
Much of my layering system has been built around hunting in the CO rockies, or simple eastern treestand hunting.

I recently spent some time hunting the George Washington National forest here in VA. The hiking, climbing was not too unlike CO. The major differences are the need to handle more precipitation and the need to be durable to handle brush and thorns. I am looking into more durable outer layers. Something along the lines of the Kuiu Guide DCS. What jacket(s) does Sitka have that provide a more durable outer layer? Edit: the Jetstream?

I previously had a Guide DCS, and while it was a fine jacket, I didn’t see a real role for it in CO. Looking for what else may be out there now. The more I consider the options, the more I think I need to build a different layering system for this case. Steep hiking, varying levels of rain, long sits that can be quite cold, wind, brush/thorns everywhere, etc.

Last edited:
KUIU axis is actually waterproof on the top exposed surfaces. Only soft shell that will hold up to any real amount of prolonged rain.
Others it’s just a question of how long before they wet out.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
I agree. After looking through what Sitka and Kuiu have to offer I like the Axis.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
The M7 is interesting. Could be a good choice. It is interesting how they state waterproof material, but only mention snow, not rain. Not sure if that’s intentional or just a case of them focusing on cold conditions and thus snow.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The M7 is interesting. Could be a good choice. It is interesting how they state waterproof material, but only mention snow, not rain. Not sure if that’s intentional or just a case of them focusing on cold conditions and thus snow.
It’s because of the fleece lining, and how bulky that can make it in your pack. It’s made to just wear all day, and with a softer face fabric, thus the “cold” moniker. It’s taped on the interior over the seams (including the fleece) so it isn’t a really packable piece. Nice to have late season with wind though.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
M7 is more durable and more water resistant but Jetstream is quieter and has better mobility. Both fill different voids. Both are awesome.

IMo soft shells come in a spectrum that basically trades off breathability for weather and waterproofness. The Sitka EVO mountain is super breathable but not going to be very weather proof. The jetstream is a Jack of all trades master of none soft shell but probably the closest thing they have to the Guide dcs. the traverse is warmer but not as weatherproof. for the use you describe, the jetstream seems like a good fit but it isn’t a rain jacket. I have used mine with a light weight rain jacket in my pack for prolonged downpours (OR foray)

FWIW I also have an axis. Great jacket. Warmer than the jetstream and more weather resistant. As expected, it breathes less well. I have only found a use for mine in later season and in cold weather. It works really well, but in those conditions I find myself wanting more warmth. If I hunted a place with mild cold - maybe 50s down to freezing - and rain, it would be my pick. I wore it in some cold cold snow last year and it worked fine but required some layering.

Reactions: prm