How far is too far?

Jon Boy

WKR
That area is my 2nd home.... those hills will eat up anyone who is hunting, especially after being that far back in already... especially solo, even more so on foot. Steep is an understatement, and someone with little backcountry experience (not saying "you" at all, just reading your line about not having a ton of experience) is in for a very hard hunt - physically and mentally.... and they don't get easier over time there either, with the trees coming down and undergrowth coming up. I'm not trying to discourage you from that area, just letting you know how it is. If you take stock, you darn well better have a good saw for cutting trees off the main trail, and I'd recommend a good saw for going in on foot back that far. The blow down is crazy and only getting worse, and it is common for a lot of trees to be on the trail on the way out, that weren't there on the way in. It's sad, but realistically it probably won't be too much longer before the only way to get around in there will be to wait until after another fire rolls through.
Logan nailed it. It's tough country. And for that I love it. But I'm not going in 8 miles and planning on packing an elk out any time soon.

OP
ndbwhunter
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to try to get out there for a weekend this summer to get a better idea of what I could be getting myself in to. Hunting an area like this is always easier on paper, and I think my lack of experience lead me to believe that it's easier than it actually is. If I decide to go into this area I will make sure to have packers lined up. I'll just be happy to get into the backcountry and take in all that it has to offer. My primary objective is to learn from the experience and build on that knowledge year after year.

There are almost zero areas i can think of that 8 to 12 miles solo in early September would not mean certain spoilage. Never mind the terrain, it would be tough to do on pavement and flat ground.

Joe

Great info. New on the site. I'm in the same boat as Ndbwhunter. I'm in Ga and my buddy and I do a yearly "bear extravaganza" where we hike in 4 to 5 miles, camp for 4 or 5 days, and day hunt from there. I'm itching to get out West, and do the same thing. Its good to hear from the more experienced folks on what is realistic in a different environment.

rayporter

WKR
finding a packer may get to be a challenge. they just might be busy and have other commitments, since they are booking now.

your best bet it to find an outfitter that is putting in a camp in that drainage for rifle season.

I have no idea about that area but in general burns can be super dangerous, especially during storms. If you do scout it find safe places to sit out storms. Deadfall across the trail is not a good sign. They're called widow makers for a reason. I'm not saying don't do it as my favorite spots have all burned recently I'm just saying have safe hidey holes picked out in advance. And do not camp amongst standing burned trees.

Old elk camp.....
elkcamp2.jpg

Last edited:
is there trail most of the way? what do you expect nightime temps to be. how big are you?
maybe im foolish or just against the grain, but i wouldnt immediately say no. in the country i typically hunt, if it took me 8-12 miles to get into elk i would be ok with it. especially if camp was on the near side of that.

Bar

Banned
is there trail most of the way? what do you expect nightime temps to be. how big are you?
maybe im foolish or just against the grain, but i wouldnt immediately say no. in the country i typically hunt, if it took me 8-12 miles to get into elk i would be ok with it. especially if camp was on the near side of that.

Is your country like his? A description was given, and it doesn't sound friendly to taking out a bull alone in warm weather.

the blowdown sounds the worst to me. i dont have a habit of hunting burns for elk, but have crossed old avalanches and thats a bitch. ive hunted 6-12,500', 1k ft/.5mi kind of steep. on trail/ off trail. etc

Sounds brutal solo with no stock. Blowdown is something that has to be experienced to truly appreciate and it ain't fun. I'd agree you'd be in elk way before that distance. Personally I'd stick within 5 miles and if packing an elk out that far goes works okay, start to extend your range the next year. Spoilage is not an option.

Or you could setup camp for a few weeks and air dry all the meat and pack out jerky.....

Topgun 30-06

Banned
There are almost zero areas i can think of that 8 to 12 miles solo in early September would not mean certain spoilage. Never mind the terrain, it would be tough to do on pavement and flat ground.

Joe

You got that right and anyone that thinks they could do more than one roundtrip a day with a loaded pack going out is full of it! That's 16-24 miles and I don't care who you are, you're not Superman! Even if the meat didn't spoil you're talking 4, if not 5, trips to get all the meat, head/cape, and equipment out to the truck. Last year in Wyoming I helped bring a 330" bull out just 2-2 1/2 miles all uphill with one canyon to go down in and back up on the way out. By the time 2 of us started at daylight on the bull and got everything ready and the first load out it was after noon. Then 4 of us went back and brought the rest out and it was just before dark when we got to the truck.

if it takes 5 trips to get a bull and camp out, its probably a fact that you have no business hunting there.
i dont know what sort of standards the OP has for animals but i would venture the likelihood of killing a 330 bull in an area he hadnt previously set foot in is on the lower end of odds.
now if you assume he kills a rag, and was camped before the burn, youre looking at maybe two, quick light trips with the bull back to camp. or one monster load depending on how far it is, and how the tread is. sleep let the meat cool. from there youve 2 heavy loads or 3 moderate loads, maybe 7mi each way, likely on some trail. now it doesnt sound fun, but the pain only lasts a few days and thats doable for some.

I've always had the mentality of nothing is too far if You trully want to kill. I had a friend last year tell me he passed up a great big 7x7 because it was just too far in. Fine for him but that's not me. I don't care how far. But in Colorado it truely is hard to get too far away. Seems there is a road or some thing closer than you think.

I don't care how far it is. If it's a big bull I try to arrow it. Can always call friends or get horses. I packed out a lot of elk solo and its tough work but rewarding.

Bar

Banned
Yes, but he could get lucky, and kill a big bull. It's better to be prepared for what could be too much unprepared for.

I agree. If you prepare yourself physically and mentally it should realistically only take you three total trips, over a day and a half.

I would take care of the bull, let the meat cool overnight, be up early take half the meat out.

7 or 8 miles with that load, probably mostly downhill on trail will probably take 5 or 6 hours. I'd spend the night at the truck after the second load, so have an extra sleep setup to crash in the rig.

Then hike back in the next day to get camp and horns.

I'd also recommend having 150 qt coolers with pre frozen 3 gallon water containers sealed.

This will keep frozen and cold for well over 10 days if you keep it under the truck or in shade.

I'll admit I wouldn't recommend everyone is capable of doing it, but it's about preparation. I don't know you from Adam, but I wouldn't hesitate one second.

Good luck on your hunt with whatever you decide.

KMT

WKR
12 miles would be impossible. I'm willing to bet that most people who talk about going even 3-4 miles have never traveled that far in the mountains. Add gear and potentially an elk, and a whole new world of hurt is gonna reach out and then issue a beating.

12 miles would be impossible. I'm willing to bet that most people who talk about going even 3-4 miles have never traveled that far in the mountains. Add gear and potentially an elk, and a whole new world of hurt is gonna reach out and then issue a beating.

Impossible for you. Don't put limitations on other people. Explain a plan, if he's capable great. But that should be an individual's final decision based on his own assertion of his limits.

The amount of quit in this thread is high...

Bar

Banned
We're talking about 12 miles of steep up and down in warm weather Travis. Quit has nothing to do with it. It's being realistic.

When I was younger I was in as good a shape as you can get. I'm not sure i'd have tried it back then.