how dumb is this/are people?

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Also, I think many people are "hornswoggled"(?) when they see "gov" in the link.
Just another reason I don't like buying on-line!
That said, we have bought a lot of our silver and gold on-line. Mostly from "Provident Metals" and some from "JM Bullion".
We recently got to know a metals dealer where we can buy first hand rather than on-line.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Also, I think many people are "hornswoggled"(?) when they see "gov" in the link.
Just another reason I don't like buying on-line!
That said, we have bought a lot of our silver and gold on-line. Mostly from "Provident Metals" and some from "JM Bullion".
We recently got to know a metals dealer where we can buy first hand rather than on-line.
My local coin shop guy gives me better deals than I can find anywhere else....

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
My local coin shop guy gives me better deals than I can find anywhere else....
Not by much, but yes.
The coin dealer is 100 miles round trip. The difference between him and the on-line dealers is pretty much a break even.

Even so, I've read "reviews" on both Providence and JM Bullion. Some are just a little scary.
Some complaining the product they bought wasn't ".999 fine" or they didn't get what they ordered ... or anything at all.
I'm not a metallurgical expert or anything more than a occasional buyer, so even an unscrupulous dealer can skin me and I'm not sure I'd ever know it.
We bought our first metal at a "shop" I found questionable. Since then, we've had that purchase checked and it proved genuine. 🤑

KenLee

WKR
Some bidders are just bored assholes running prices up for entertainment with no intention to pay. When 2 such bidders collide, the sky is the limit. Sometimes it's a coordinated effort between 2 bidders, even one person with multiple accounts.
Result is a waste of the sellers time and money.
I've seen this happen repeatedly to a seller who has pissed people off, but it's usually just random bored assholes.

ODB

WKR
Lots of folks buy these 100 gram sheets.
In a SHTF situation, you have a way to break down "metals" into small(er) denominations.
Offered in both silver and gold.
At this posting, the 100 gram silver "sheet" is $160.43.

I never understood this mentality. If the shit hits the fan and cash is no longer available…how will the value of silver be set and enforced? Commerce ends oof cash is no longer available. And if you need cash, you will have to convert your silver flake to cash and lose value. And who says if the shit hit the fan silver would spike anyway? Last time it it almost 50…cash was still available.

Bartering “things” I get, silver flakes…I don’t get.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Silver and gold are things. Tangible things, imo. Gold especially can be easily carried in very valuable amounts. Eight quarter ounce coins fit easily in a good moneybelt. YMMV.

Anyone else click on that link and go down several rabbit holes?

I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need 5 acres of land in Joshua Tree, CA
Yep. Now I'm seriously considering what I could do with a 1988 fire truck. I'm thinking strip down the back end and turn it into an extra long flatbed. That much bed length and a 10.4L Cat diesel would be a hay hauling son of a gun.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
I never understood this mentality. If the shit hits the fan and cash is no longer available…how will the value of silver be set and enforced? Commerce ends oof cash is no longer available. And if you need cash, you will have to convert your silver flake to cash and lose value. And who says if the shit hit the fan silver would spike anyway? Last time it it almost 50…cash was still available.

Bartering “things” I get, silver flakes…I don’t get.
Well, first off, regardless of the SHTF, gold and silver will STILL maintain value and that value will be widely shared.
After centuries of coinage, there will have to be a monetary unit of some type.
Make no mistake, "bartering" always has been and always will be in place.
Maybe silver and gold can't be consumed, but it will be valued as a monetary unit.

Note: There won't be any converting metal to cash. Metal WILL be the currency. Value dependent on weight.
Paper currency will be fire starter.
Even current coinage will have some, though very little, value.

Last edited:

Gone4Days

WKR
Silver and gold are perfect mediums for bartering. It happened for thousands of years before phony paper currencies came along. If I am bartering and want to trade 40 lbs of flour, and am looking for 10 gallons of gasoline, it’s difficult to find someone with the gasoline who specifically wants 40 lbs of flour. But if I sell my flour for 2 oz of silver, I can buy the gasoline with the silver. Then the seller of the gas can use the silver for his exchange.. so on and so forth. Finding trade partners without real money (gold/silver) isn’t as easy as it sounds.

Lol at metal coins being currency in a shtf scenario. This ain't the 1800's. It's all gonna be digital and if that fails there isn't going to be civility. It will be mass chaos with plundering everywhere.

Keep your SA army's ready tho, it helps the price of my metal investments go up.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Lol at metal coins being currency in a shtf scenario. This ain't the 1800's. It's all gonna be digital and if that fails there isn't going to be civility. It will be mass chaos with plundering everywhere.

Keep your SA army's ready tho, it helps the price of my metal investments go up.
....and you're certain that any corrupt government or NGO will maintain uncorrupted and uninterrupted communications and computer systems!
I live in a rural area where I don't get good cell phone service, much less a computer link.
Nor am I certain that the power grid will be operational where I am.
I do have enough solar panels that I can charge my cell phone......."IF" my carrier is still operational!

Metal is tangible. Bitcoin is a digital icon on a computer screen.
Other than that, I'll depend on my  tangibles to help keep me solvent.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
At least 10 ounces of silver.

People actually believe that the internet will still work after a nationwide catastrophic event?
Right now, flour is $2/lb, give or take.
Forty pounds of flour for resale should be about $60. That should be approximately 2.5 ounces plus silver.
Just a guesstimate.

YMMV

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider

....and you can bet on chaos and plundering......unless you're prepared.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
right now is not the same as after a nationwide calamity. You make all the trillions of us dollars worthless and the value of silver/gold/ammo/food/water...etc will go up quite a bit.