How does the MT points system work?

hobbes

WKR
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are describing, but I think you have a typo or a misunderstanding in "up to 10% general combos go to NRs". Combo licenses are NR licenses. Resident hunters do not apply for "general combo licenses", so all "combo licenses" whether an elk combo, deer combo, or big game combo, go to nonresidents. I believe you may be thinking of permits where bonus points would be needed.

As a resident, I just walk in and purchase a general elk and deer license and besides keeping tabs on the number sold, it's not part of any 90/10 split. Permits, however, are and must be applied for and drawn in a lottery.

Last edited:

Erict

WKR
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are describing, but I think you have a typo or a misunderstanding in "up to 10% general combos go to NRs". Combo licenses are NR licenses. Resident hunters do not apply for "general combo licenses", so all "combo licenses" whether an elk combo, deer combo, or big game combo, go to nonresidents. I believe you may be thinking of permits where bonus points would be needed.

As a resident, I just walk in and purchase a general elk and deer license and besides keeping tabs on the number sold, it's not part of any 90/10 split. Permits, however, are and must be applied for and drawn in a lottery.
Yes, I misspoke and corrected it. The point is that when RESIDENT applications exceed quotas then FWP is required to restrict NR licenses as shown below:

Montana Code Annotated 2021 states:

87-2-506. Restrictions on hunting licenses. (1) The department may prescribe by rule the number of hunting licenses to be issued. Any license sold may be restricted to a specific administrative region, hunting district, or other designated area and may specify the species, age, and sex to be taken and the time period for which the license is valid.

(2) When the number of valid resident applications for big game licenses or permits of a single class or type exceeds the number of licenses or permits the department desires to issue in an administrative region, hunting district, or other designated area, then the number of big game licenses or permits issued to nonresident license or permitholders in the region, district, or area may not exceed 10% of the total issued.

hobbes

WKR
Yes good point on the PP vs BP. Lots of folks don't understand the difference.

A PP is for the combo licenses it allows you to hunt elk, deer, or both. It is a general license. You can hunt whatever a district says is legal with a general license.

A BP is for a permit. It allows you to hunt with your general license in a specific district that requires the special permit. They are limited and have the 90/10 split that you mention.

However, there are no resident applications for general elk or deer licenses, only elk or deer permits. The combo licenses for elk and deer are nonresident licenses and there is a specific number of them allowed by the MCA, 87-2-505 and 87-2-510. The only big game (Elk, deer, Antelope) license that 90/10 would currently apply to is antelope and cow/doe (B licensed) since those are all by application.

Also, my understanding is that bonus points do not expire and are not lost if you fail to apply in any particular timeframe. They are only "lost" or used if you actually draw your first choice permit tag.

Also, my understanding is that bonus points do not expire and are not lost if you fail to apply in any particular timeframe. They are only "lost" or used if you actually draw your first choice permit tag.
This is my understanding as well, but can someone confirm 100%?

Preference points can be lost by not
Applying, but Bonus points cannot be lost? Therefore a guy can continue to only purchase bonus points during the summer without worrying about the application period in the spring, correct?

It doesn’t work. Give FWP your money, dont get a tag. Buy a OTC tag in Colorado, and then try Idaho next year.

Riplip

WKR
This is my understanding as well, but can someone confirm 100%?

Preference points can be lost by not
Applying, but Bonus points cannot be lost? Therefore a guy can continue to only purchase bonus points during the summer without worrying about the application period in the spring, correct?

This is correct. Any bonus points accumulated will not be lost unless you draw your first choice on the species you applied your bonus points. Only caveat is that if you apply in the Spring and do not elect to purchase a BP at that time you cannot then purchase one later in the summer for the same species. But yes you can purchase BP's only each year between July and September and not apply for the license in the Spring.