How does the MT points system work?

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Montana - is it a preference point system? random draw? 90/10? how does it work? THX

I’ll try to give you the short version.

Preference points go toward a license. You need a license no matter where you hunt.

Limited quota units require a permit in addition to the license. Bonus points go toward permits.

They set aside a % of licenses for people with zero points. So in essence that’s your random draw. That’s their way, like Wyoming, to keep new hunters interested in taking a chance to draw a license.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You build some points, ignore(never knew they changed) the rule changes and lose all your points and then quit applying. That is how Montana worked for me anyway.
I do think this is the Montana plan - extract as much money as possible from non residents while providing the least amount of opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
Yeah I got into the groove of just buying points and missed the memo on actually having to apply, they changed that after I had drawn once already. Have not applied since.

mms2

FNG
I'm just starting to look into MT I bought a preference point will see if i wasted money

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
What I can't seem to ferret out is....if you draw a general tag and cannot go so you turn it back in for the 20% tax, do you lose your points?

I'm just starting to look into MT I bought a preference point will see if i wasted money

Did you buy a preference point or a bonus point? My understanding, is that you should only purchase a preference point if you actually plan on applying that year for that specific species. Can someone tell me if that’s correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be at 5 bonus points after this year. If i was to try to hunt a breaks unit next year should i buy a preference point this year then apply for the tag next year???

mms2

FNG
Did you buy a preference point or a bonus point? My understanding, is that you should only purchase a preference point if you actually plan on applying that year for that specific species. Can someone tell me if that’s correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
preference point seemed to me you have to start getting those when you are about 3 years out from trying to go

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
preference point seemed to me you have to start getting those when you are about 3 years out from trying to go
Not anymore- need to apply for an actual license every other year or your points go to zero. MT draw system is certainly not my favorite.

Erict

WKR
My understanding, is that you should only purchase a preference point if you actually plan on applying that year for that specific species. Can someone tell me if that’s correct?
- For those who don't know, learn the difference between MT Preference Points PP and Bonus Points BP.

-Up to 10% general combo licenses go to NR.

-75% of those go to NR with 1-3 PP, 25% to those with 0 PP.

-Max PP is 3.

-Once you have a PP, you must apply for a general license every year or your PP get zeroed.

-If you apply for PP only (up to Dec 31), you will have 1 PP. When the license app period opens, you can buy an additional PP, getting you to 2 in the draw. High probability of drawing a GENERAL NR combo tag with 2 PP. Highest with 3. Lower with 0. Almost no chance drawing with 1 PP.

-BEST chance to draw a NR combo tag in 2024 would be to go in to 2023 draw with 1 PP. Buy another with 2024 application, going in with 2 PP.