How do you hunt them?

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here in Wisconsin 98% of my Whitetail hunting is done from stand. I hunt Northern WI, there are tons of coyotes, wolves, and bears. The herd has dwindled over the last 5 years terribly. I have seen more wolves than deer from stand each of the last two seasons. The one advantage this does create, the bucks are on their feet more during the daylight, during rut. They are covering more ground to find the does. So setting up in good travel, bottleneck areas gets one a better chance at connecting.

I've enjoyed hunting areas like North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, etc where there are more ag areas, crp etc. Makes the deer more visible, not necessarily easier to kill.

How do you do it where your at?

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hunt them by treestands, blinds, ambush, still hunting, and spot and stalk. Here in SD and ND I have used all five styles but prefer spot and stalk or ambush situations most! This is far more of an exhilarating hunt in my opinion. Outsmarting a whitetail on the ground on their terms is a blast!

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
spot and stalk mainly....hill country of Tejas.

Typically, when I do hunt whitetails, its either from a stand or a blind. I have taken a few from the ground which is a RUSH especially when you weren't planning on it...walking into my stand or blind.

weaver

WKR
This last year I stand hunted about 80% of the time. The rest of the time I hunted on the ground without a blind.

JG358

WKR
Same as everthing thing else.... spot & stalk. I keep telling myself I'm going to try a treestand, just cant seem to get myself to climb into one.

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
Here in IL, I pretty much do stand hunting for bow, durring firearm and muzzy, I will take to the ground for still or spot and stalk.

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
Tree stands mostly, double bull blind sometimes, i also use pit blinds.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Its about 50/50 for me in Idaho. I like to spot and stalk but with all the brush I spend a lot of time in a stand.