Frustrated

Huntchic

FNG
Greetings all,
I had a tough season last year and looking for some advise or ideas. I've always had good areas to hunt till last year. last year I had to start NC hunting public land. So my question is two parts. part 1 is the area I was hunting had about 20 acre clear cut surrounded by mostly open to semi open woods. I'm guessing the cut over was about 9-10 years old. It was terribly thick and i tried 2 times to actually walk though it. No way. insane even trying to crawl sometimes. I hunted near the edge of it in two different locations that showed good trails and signs coming in and out of the cut over. scrapes, rubs and scat. I would be in my tree at least an hour before light and stay till to dark to see to shoot. I never saw deer. Sometimes mid day i would get down to move to an evening area of to look around a different area hour or so then return. Most days i stayed entire day time. I would see fresh scat, areas where they pawed up acorns new rubs etc. I know these were done during the night because i was there during the daylight time. A few evenings i could hear movement and sounds back in the thick cut before dark. So my question is how the heck can i hunt that clear cut? I know there is a lot of deer in there but i don't believe they come out any during daylight. I considered making a little trail into the cut to one of the few rare taller trees and get way up and try hunting like that but didn't. figured It would be really difficult to find where deer dropped once down from the tree and packing it out would be crazy difficult if i did retrieve it. I have started scouting a couple new areas i hunted last year few times that don't have any clear cuts but cant quit thinking about that area with the clear cut.

1)Do the deer go into those thick areas and never come out in daylight especially as season progresses? Area gets med to light pressure after first week of season.
2) Is there anyway to hunt that kind of place? Should i just forget it and hunt other areas?

The more times you go in there and spread scent around, the more deer will avoid it. They may change their trail by even 100 yards or less just to avoid the spot where you’ve been.

I would recommend finding a few spots (scout). Bounce between them rather than going to the same spot. The best “sits” I’ve had on public are always the first one in a new spot. Early season can be tough; find some fresh dropping acorns with good sign or other food sources. Bedding areas can be good but I like them closer to the rut personally.

For that particular spot I would give it a rest until you get a change in weather. If things cool down even 10-15 degrees from average for a day, you should get some more action.

I’m no whitetail expert but I hunted exclusively public land for a few years one state north of you with good success—it’s tough mentally but rewarding when it works out

I can't help with NC, but we hunt public land on Texas which almost doesn't exist so you can only imagine how hard it gets hammered. The most skiddish animals on the planet I swear. Yes, the deer will stick in the most insufferable thick brush and not come out if they can help it. The deer we kill have shins full of thorns, bucks will have more, seen about 50 per leg while cleaning butchering them and it's a huge PITA cutting them out. The most obvious thing that comes to mind is the rut, bucks get stupid and does run around and they'll run out of the thick and drag the bucks with them. Aside from that, I'd find other areas to hunt where you're not dealing with that. Tracking is always rough when they dive into the thick and die so you may be doing yourself a favor anyway.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Thanks for the info. I had 5 different areas I hunted and 3 different spots around that clear cut. Picked area around the clear cut depending on wind direction. I would sit a spot for 2 days then move to new area for couple days before returning. Not saying scent didn't apply much but was muzzleloader and rifle hunting where i was about 50- 75 yards from the cut and always had the wind breeze coming towards me or least parallel. The cut had a ring trail ( small road) around it that sometimes i would see other hunters walking so figured deer pretty much would scent humans at anytime all around the cut. I'm leaning towards ruling out that spot except maybe first day or 2 of muzzle-loader season which starts before rifle season.

I wanted to add that it can take a couple years to tweak your game. The current public we hunt now we're really successful every year for the last 10+, our whole group, but the first 2-3 years it was rough and quite a learning curve. Give yourself some time and keep trying different things until you start getting some action.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
I agree on the crazy thick spots. I just figured if i did get way up in a tree in the thick area it would be really hard to locate where the shot deer was once i got down out of the tree and went looking for it. Plus even if i quartered or boned out the meat and tried to packed it out would be nearly impossible. I'm not afraid of working hard but I'm not unrealistic either,

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
I'm not saying i didn't have any luck on other areas just this spot with the cut over. It had some really nice deer in it. (from cameras before season ) guess that's why that area had such good deer. lol

Yeah if you're after the big ones that sounds like it's a target area that makes sense. You may crawl through some brush for 20 yards or so then break out the machete and clear yourself a path to one of those big trees, keeps your path hidden from other hunters but allows you a quieter entry and exit. Once in the tree maybe take that machete and make you some shooting lanes as well. Spots like that can be slow, don't see anything but once you do it's a dead giant served up on a platter. Just be sure you're hunting a tree with some activity and trails around it and it's not just a good tree for a human, deer gotta be there and in a way that presents a shot. Those deer have to eat and if they're leaving the patch to feed after dark they'll be moving about within it prior-to because they feel comfortable in there. Entering the thicket may be tough to do without being detected, hunting the outer edges on an exit path you may catch them late in the evenings, especially when they're rutting.

nosajnh

FNG
If you have not already spent some time scouting the cut in the off season give that a try. When the leaves are gone and the recent activity has been put down during the hunting season you can really see how and where they are using the cut when you are going to be hunting it.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
I agree with making a hidden trail. I went online satellite back in history and saw where the old roads were they used when cutting that area thinking i could find some easier way in. I also went in this past winter on a couple deer trails but dang its crazy thick back in too. stuff is bit to tall i believe to actually get a clean shot from up in a tree. As for cutting shooting lanes its unfortunately illegal here to cut anything on Game land.
I guess I'm just stuck with hunting outside it in hopes of a good one coming out during rut. Ill try to fill freezer in other areas this year then try that area when its during rut and best weather conditions for it. Then again i might Just have to get out the bow this year and try before others get out n spook them. I've noticed here in NC. that the deer on public land seem to head into the thickest impenetrable stuff early in season and convinced they don't come out unless spooked out till after dark. seems they learn how to avoid hunters this way. I'm pretty much planning this year to backpack hunt way in or canoe back in and hunt from a camp to avoid hunting pressure. Seems this would be my better option from what i learned last year.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG

Thanks nosajnh

I did last winter after season. I dressed like a medieval knight and went into the crazy stuff. found good trails and few higher rises they were bedding at too. I just think it wouldn't be realistic to go in and get up a tree if one was found near by. the cover height i believe wouldn't give me a clean shot to drop them on the spot. I'm not giving up completely and may still give it a try this year if things are right for it.

I agree with making a hidden trail. I went online satellite back in history and saw where the old roads were they used when cutting that area thinking i could find some easier way in. I also went in this past winter on a couple deer trails but dang its crazy thick back in too. stuff is bit to tall i believe to actually get a clean shot from up in a tree. As for cutting shooting lanes its unfortunately illegal here to cut anything on Game land.
I guess I'm just stuck with hunting outside it in hopes of a good one coming out during rut. Ill try to fill freezer in other areas this year then try that area when its during rut and best weather conditions for it. Then again i might Just have to get out the bow this year and try before others get out n spook them. I've noticed here in NC. that the deer on public land seem to head into the thickest impenetrable stuff early in season and convinced they don't come out unless spooked out till after dark. seems they learn how to avoid hunters this way. I'm pretty much planning this year to backpack hunt way in or canoe back in and hunt from a camp to avoid hunting pressure. Seems this would be my better option from what i learned last year.
I like the canoe idea. Where we hunt we pattern other hunters rather than the deer. Once you figure out the other hunters you can get an edge on things pretty quickly. With that canoe, look for places where it can quietly put you waiting where the other hunters may push them to you. Just speaking in general because I don't know your area but this works great for us. I've had deer run into where I'm sitting and lay down, shoot them an hour later when they get up and start grazing. People are pretty easy to pattern, at least down here they are. Most of them use the same entry trails and don't travel too far off of them. The deer have them patterned as well.

Laramie

WKR
During the winter or early spring, make some trails through the really thick stuff for the deer to use. Have those trails intersect near the tree you want to set up in. Use roundup in the spring and mid summer to keep the trails clear- deer will use them as long as you keep your scent off of them.

Rich M

WKR
If that's where you want to hunt, sounds like the only thing you can do is go in after them.

They'll be in there before daylight, so only hunt it during the evenings. Figure out where they come and go.

Can you hang a trail cam? Then do that and see where the enter and exit from. That's step 1. The cam will tell you what times they do this.

A pair of pruning sheers is like magic in thick stuff. Can open up deer trails a little, can open up your access and make it a lot quieter.

So you know what trail they like to exit on a favorable wind. You sneak in on the trail they exit on and set up to shoot the deer before they hit your scent. It is a 1 time shot for the goal. The deer might ignore your scent the first time, but they won't the second. All the dynamics of that area will change.

Deer hunting public land is incredibly tough. I hunt in FL and the deer won't usually cross a human's trail - I watch it happen from the stand sometimes. So i know I get 1, maybe 2 hunts depending on my entrance and exit. That's it. Then you go to the next spot. We get 3 day hunts, so start with best spot, see nothing, out of tree and to next spot hunt eve and morning, then next spot. Then it's over. I only hunt active, fresh sign and hope to see stuff.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Agree. I've noticed most hunters don't go more than 1 mile in. much less mostly. I have been going much farther. I had an area way back in that i really wanted to go last year but never got to go. Its about 6 miles to hike in. I can put in my canoe and go about 3 miles and set up a camp then about a mile to that area. the area along the river is all private land until I'm near that area. Only way to hike in though public land is 6 mile hike. The river has some shallow areas that i have to drag canoe little bit. I went couple weeks ago and tried it by canoe. It was doable with little bit of work. I'm planning a scout in there soon. going to canoe in and set up a overnight camp and do some scouting. all up hill from the river though. lol. figure if i hunted there i could pack one out to camp or even drag one cause its all down hill from hunting area. biggest fear would be turning an ankle or getting run over by the deer being dragged. its pretty steep terrain. Be more like an elk pack in hunt than typical whitetail hunt. least with canoe i don't have to carry everything even though I feel pretty efficient as backpack hunter. Don't consider myself an expert. I was supposed to get Hip replacement last January but VA canceled it week before so I'm still bit handicapped though I'm hard headed and don't let it stop me. I hunted though it last year so can do it again. i go after Labor day to find out new date for replacement again so I'm hoping its really soon before season or in January after season. normally its 2 - 3 months, was last time.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Good advise Rich M.
I did the cameras last year and feel confidant i know the trails used. The dang critters just don't come in or out per the cameras only in darkness. before season they did day and night but after couple days after season it was only at night. I agree its looking like only way is to go in after them. I was just hoping maybe someone here had so way they found to hunt that kind of location i hadn't thought of or at least could confirm my idea that they just stay in there all day.

I love the canoe idea because of the whole adventure of it. Keep in mind, the "deeper" you go in the more deer you're running out of the area. Our success increased incredibly when we stopped going so deep, pop in quietly with as little human presence as possible and sit tight. It would be cool to find a trail a few hundred yards from the river. You can still setup camp further away, paddle that canoe down and quietly slip into the spot. Then you can canoe the deer back to camp to hang and quarter up.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
I agree the adventure and experience means a lot. I had easy private land to hunt deer in the past but have enjoyed backpack hunting as well as camping always. Keeping the freezer is filled by winter is important to me but i enjoy the adventure and experience the most. I like getting away from other people and feel safer too. I feel humans are my most likely threat when I'm alone in the woods however kicking up a grouse at your feet at 0 dark 30 on a hike into hunting spot will sure wake a person up. Lol

Macintosh

WKR
Pressured spots are tough. Ive got a couple similar, going into the thick in some cases is not possible for the reasons you mentioned, especially on public where you cant clear shooting lanes, etc. that also sounds suspiciously like work. You can either stake out those areas being careful that your approach to your stand doesnt spook the deer that come though after dark, or in many parts of the country during rifle/ML season people drive those thick areas with a couple people. I dont know how big of an area you are talking or how a drive like that fits into your area culturally, but its one of the most effective ways to hunt a spot like that.