How do you choose a custom rifle builder?

Trogon

WKR
I'm not saying it's on par with who you're referencing but Chad at LRI does have some experience working with partners on wood stocks. And what he does is not really screwing stuff together when it comes to inletting. LRI's inlet methods have been cutting edge for awhile.

I’ve used LRI and agree they can do about anything one would want. No shade there.

I don't have a custom rifle, but if I was going to buy one I'd want the following.

Sighted in with a scope of my choice with a load worked up with details on the load with a bullet that I agree with. That's probably going to mean that it's a gunsmith with significant experience and not just someone who can bolt parts together. Probably not going to be inexpensive. ;)

Mounting/zeroing a scope and loading some bullets is a very low barrier to entry.

gbflyer

WKR
If LRI's build times are long, GAP's build times are glacial.

Of the ones you mentioned, LRI would probably be suited very well to a modern action in a wood stock. I have builds from LRI, TS Customs, and RW Snyder.

On the face of it though, how much gunsmithing does your build require? It seems like the main thing is stock inlet and fit. Otherwise with a modern action you're just torquing a prefit barrel (already threaded if you want) onto the action, installing a trigger which takes all of 5 minutes, and you're set.

This is a list of the most popular PRS gunsmiths, for whatever that's worth to you. A lot of it revolves around prefits though.

I have a gunsmith friend that was a pretty active competitor. The competitions were at times more important than turning out product. This is a factor in the amount of waiting one is supposed to endure. For me, I got sick of it and learned how to do my own work.

TX_Diver

WKR
What makes you choose one rifle builder over the over? There are so many great big and small builders like Gunwerks, Allterra, MOA, McWhorter, LRI, LPR, Jarrett, Spartan Precision Rifles…

What would be your dream build, and by who?

Edit:

Considering a new custom with fancy walnut stock. Thinking modern custom action, steel sporter barrel, BDL, in .270 Win.

>>>——JAKE——>
Model 70 with walnut might be worth checking out pat Holehan in Tucson. Not sure where you’re at geographically but if you’re near there that’s up his alley.

Der Schwabe

FNG
Classified Approved
I chose Matthew Roberts for my walnut-stocked, blued-steel .270 Win. I chose him because he helped create the Richardson & Roberts action, which is patterned after the pre-'64 Model 70. I found one of the last actions up in Canada at Ralf Martini's shop. I also chose him because I like his work. It turned out really well.

2C36BD7D-BD73-47C3-9029-8B27DB2DF9AE_1_105_c.jpeg
7FED1143-7984-4F4D-8D00-578500F2CEFF_1_105_c.jpeg

hunterjmj

WKR
I chose Matthew Roberts for my walnut-stocked, blued-steel .270 Win. I chose him because he helped create the Richardson & Roberts action, which is patterned after the pre-'64 Model 70. I found one of the last actions up in Canada at Ralf Martini's shop. I also chose him because I like his work. It turned out really well.

View attachment 781060
View attachment 781061
That is a beautiful rifle.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I have 3 local custom shops within driving distance ( Alamo, guns inc )
Considering the problems shipping back and forth from fierce or Christian
They are definitely out , gotta be local and easy to deal with
Good reputation/ branding for resale value if need be

Most around here use 700 action for none dangerous game caliber

Last edited:

Chanimal

FNG
I would pick an action or at least narrow it down to a couple choices then call the action manufacture(s) and see who they recommend in your area. With your stock wants, you will likely have to do some additional digging from there.