How do you balance shooting with fitness

RockSlip

FNG
My routine is get off work go to my buddies house shoot our bows and do 12 ounce curls and get our steps in by walking to the target over and over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lunges all the way out to those targets. Great for getting the heart rate up and learning to take calm shots.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Lunges all the way out to those targets. Great for getting the heart rate up and learning to take calm shots.

That’s some great advice we gonna add that for sure maybe do a few burpees at the target as well lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
What’s “assault bike?”

It sounds like you’re on the right path, honestly. Don’t worry, it will suck physically no matter what. Mental toughness is a big part of it.

I’m going to add you will need to work on calling too.
Assault bike is the bike with the big fan on it.

Honestly calling is something I've totally overlooked in my prep phase. I'll add it to the list! Wonder if my neighbors will complain to the HOA :unsure:

JK47

FNG
Neighbors may call the cops on you for having a scary assault bike…..

Any time I want to be left alone at home, I break out the calls. Wife and kids go shopping.

WKR
Going on my first western hunt in September chasing elk. Everyone talks about how physical it is, so I've been putting effort in for a while to increase my fitness, but I'm also finding it hard to balance physical prep with shooting practice. Job, two young kids, so many hours in the day, etc.

My current method is working out 5-6 times a week, mix of strength, rucking, and assault bike.

I'm trying to shoot every day just in the garage at like, 3 yards, and really focus on the shot process and keep the muscle memory going.

Twice a week, I'm going to a range of some sort to practice distance shooting, anywhere between 20 and 80 yards, and I just got a membership to a local archery club that has a 3d course. Unfortunately that range is a bit far so I won't be able to make it out very often.

Curious on what other folks training programs look like. Thanks!
You're doing plenty. It's not the Olympics.

You can't be in good enough shape that it won't be hard, so accept that it will feel really hard at times.

Marble

WKR
@Silverback

Its difficult to really say which one is more important as both play a unique role. You do not have to be in the best shape, the better shape you are in, obviously the better. You do not need to shoot quarters at 60 yards. But knowing your limitations and capabilities helps.

Experience will teach you what gear to use, how to use it and give you the confidence to stay in the field. If you are cold, or hot, too hungry or thirsty, then it will be a damper on your spirit and you'll be more likely to leave the mountain.

I have seen a lot of people be in great shape that can really shoot. But their attitude sucks, their minds aren't right and they don't have the experience to know how to stick with it. I've also seen a lot of out of shape people hang tough in the mountains for along time. Their resilience makes them killers.

Your biggest weapon on the mountain is a positive attitude and the ability to deal with the suck. Consider the totality of the circumstances and know that even the most successful elk hunters out there do not always fill their tag.

boatlee

FNG
My take is. If you fitness level is to par your shooting in the moment won't he either. If you need to involve your kids in the workout portions too.

I have a garage gym. Twin boys age 4 and 6 year old daughter. You know little kids want to help always so I give them tasks. Like moving the 5 pound weight from one side to the other.

I watch YouTube videos of elk hunting with my kids and let them ask questions. I bought a shot trainer also, which might not be like the real thing but it's better than nothing. And I aim at the TV while watching shows

LostArra

WKR
Your biggest weapon on the mountain is a positive attitude and the ability to deal with the suck. Consider the totality of the circumstances and know that even the most successful elk hunters out there do not always fill their tag.
Excellent advice!
A positive attitude is easy when you are seeing or even hearing elk but when it's Day 5 of a week long hunt and you've seen nothing it's easy to go from hunting to pouting/hiking, you stomp over the next ridge rather than sneak over and end up busting bedded elk everywhere. All the burpees in the world won't help now.

(I type this as another reminder to heed my own and Marble's advice.)

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
Excellent advice!
A positive attitude is easy when you are seeing or even hearing elk but when it's Day 5 of a week long hunt and you've seen nothing it's easy to go from hunting to pouting/hiking, you stomp over the next ridge rather than sneak over and end up busting bedded elk everywhere. All the burpees in the world won't help now.

(I type this as another reminder to heed my own and Marble's advice.)
I know it diverted from the original thought. But I think the OPs main focus for his hunt is success. There are a lot of other variables that go into it.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Maybe so but learning to keep a positive attitude when things get hard or boring or frustrating during conditioning, strength training and practicing with your bow can help on the mountain. This is supposed to be fun

Beendare

WKR
I liked Dos Perros's comment....

You literally cannot be in too good of shape for these elk hunts...I find that hiking the hills with a 30-40# pack is about the best training....but anything high heart rate is good.

Shooting; Form stuff is good but as I get closer to the season I work on getting to my anchor quickly and making a Decisive good quick shot. No second guessing or random thoughts creeping in.

A solid shot process in practice helps. Get to full draw anchor and go through that short checklist quickly everytime. It works well to have that shot process to fall back on when in a high pressure shot opportunity.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in a similar situation as you. I try to lift and/or do high rep calisthenics 3-4 days a week, run a couple times a week, mountain bike a couple times, and get at least 1 hike in with weight. I try to keep the majority of my straight cardio work in zone 2 as that targeted base work pays off when the season comes around. I also try to shoot most days, even if it’s only 5 arrows.

Going on my first western hunt in September chasing elk. Everyone talks about how physical it is, so I've been putting effort in for a while to increase my fitness, but I'm also finding it hard to balance physical prep with shooting practice. Job, two young kids, so many hours in the day, etc.

My current method is working out 5-6 times a week, mix of strength, rucking, and assault bike.

I'm trying to shoot every day just in the garage at like, 3 yards, and really focus on the shot process and keep the muscle memory going.

Twice a week, I'm going to a range of some sort to practice distance shooting, anywhere between 20 and 80 yards, and I just got a membership to a local archery club that has a 3d course. Unfortunately that range is a bit far so I won't be able to make it out very often.

Curious on what other folks training programs look like. Thanks!
Sounds like you're doing all the right things. One suggestion, is put more emphasis on cardio and do some functional hiking with a moderately weighted pack. No need to run ultra marathons or lift 2 tons of dead weight to kill elk. Find the balance that works for you and enjoy the process.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting older now 47.. I can't work out hard 5 or 6 days a week anymore.. as in lift heavy 5 or 6 days a week.
My routine is run 5 + miles twice a week . Ruck 5+ miles onces a week with a 50 lb pack and lift 3 days a week.. as far as shooting I shoot everyday but only 20 arrows.. I try to make 20 perfect shots at 60 yards.. but i can shoot in my yard so I don't have the added Time of driving.. I also hunt at least twice a month most of the year so that helps with nerves when an animal presents a shot..