How do you balance shooting with fitness

Going on my first western hunt in September chasing elk. Everyone talks about how physical it is, so I've been putting effort in for a while to increase my fitness, but I'm also finding it hard to balance physical prep with shooting practice. Job, two young kids, so many hours in the day, etc.

My current method is working out 5-6 times a week, mix of strength, rucking, and assault bike.

I'm trying to shoot every day just in the garage at like, 3 yards, and really focus on the shot process and keep the muscle memory going.

Twice a week, I'm going to a range of some sort to practice distance shooting, anywhere between 20 and 80 yards, and I just got a membership to a local archery club that has a 3d course. Unfortunately that range is a bit far so I won't be able to make it out very often.

Curious on what other folks training programs look like. Thanks!

OP
S
Similar life stage to you, but I work from home and have a range out to 100 yards in my yard. Honestly, without those last 2 things I don't think I'd archery hunt elk, because daily shooting would not be possible.
this is the dream. I live in the middle of suburbia so I have to drive 15 minutes any time I want to shoot.

To add - not complaining, just commenting. Trying to do whatever it takes to make it happen.

*zap*

WKR
shooting blind bales in the garage may give better results than shooting 3 yards...ymmv.

blind bales are #1 for ingraining proper form/shot sequence.

Last edited:
One thing I found very valuable when I just had garage targets was doing a garage/driveway HIIT workout and shooting between cycles. If doing a workout without repetition, just shoot between exercises. I learned a lot about box breathing and controlling heart rate to effectively place a shot by doing this.

3forks

WKR
If you ever look down the line at an archery tournament, a lot of the best shooters are not what anyone would consider physical specimens of fitness.

By the same token, there are a lot of young guys I see at 3D league and tournaments that are ripped, but are marginal shooters because they prioritize the gym.

To the OP, I think you are doing the right thing by concentrating on your fitness. Someone may be able to shoot lights out, but that won’t do them any good if they can’t get to where the elk are - or when they do - they’re too gassed to be able to move with the herd/animal to get set up for a shot… not to mention what the pack out is going to be like if they happen to get one down.

However, you know you need to incorporate both shooting and fitness into your preparations for your hunt, but what you didn’t mention is how good of a shooter you currently are. I mention this because if you’re already a capable shooter and have good fundamentals, being accurate out to 40ish yards and making an ethical shot on an elk isn’t not too hard to do. But, if you’re new to archery and your shot process is lacking the fundamentals, any practicing you do - whether it’s at 3 yards in your garage or at distance at the range - is going to be reinforcing bad habits. So, if you know your shot process needs some work, invest in some coaching now so you are at least not wasting the amount of time you have to dedicate to archery practice.

The other things I would suggest, is that even if you are shooting in your garage or at the range, make sure you devote some time to shooting off your knees and with odd foot placement so that drawing your bow or shooting on the hunt with out standing and drawing level doesn’t feel completely foreign. And, when just practicing at 3 yards in your garage, do some stair steps with a weighted pack on and practice shooting with your heart rate elevated.

*Homebru.trout beat me to my last point.

I would emphasize 3D shooting. In my opinion, the 'killers' are the ones that can calmly negotiate a change in reality versus what they expected.

Example: there's a herd of elk coming down a trail, you're positioned to shoot your bull on the trail. Then you catch movement, he's traversing the mountain 40 yards above the trail, not where you expected. You're not in position to make that shot, and there are elk on the trail that will catch your movement. What do you do? Killers make the right call, the rest of us look forward to next September when the elk may actually follow the game plan.

Shooting odd distances, odd slopes and angles, odd animal orientations. If you can make as much of your mental calculation automatic that leaves more of that processing power to calmly figure out the rest in the moment.

Last edited:

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
You don't have to be in Cam Hanes shape or shooting like John Dudley to take an elk.

If you are accurate at say 80 or 100 yards and every range closer, and you can ruck 50lbs for miles I'd say you are doing just fine. Obviously the better shape you are in the better and the better shooter you are the better but don't get too wrapped around the wheel with it. You may shoot a bull a half mile from the truck 😉.

huntnful

WKR
You’re doing just perfect. 2 weeks or so before your hunt I’d transition to more archery time. Like 1/2 of your trips to the gym and 1/2 to the range. You really want that shot process ingrained in yourself, because that’s what gets the animal killed when the time comes. Automatic execution of your process and shot.

3forks

WKR
I would add in some 3D shooting. In my opinion, the 'killers' are the ones that can calmly negotiate a change in reality versus what they expected.

Example: there's a herd of elk coming down a trail, you're positioned to shoot your bull on the trail. Then you catch movement, he's traversing the mountain 40 yards above the trail, not where you expected. You're not in position to make that shot, and there are elk on the trail that will catch your movement. What do you do? Killers make the right call, the rest of us look forward to next September when the elk may actually follow the game plan.

Shooting odd distances, odd slopes and angles, odd animal orientations. If you can make as much of your mental calculation automatic that leaves more of that processing power to calmly figure out the rest in the moment.
This is a waste.

A bow with 80 pound limbs and 700 grain arrows should allow the OP to shoot through any obstructions without worrying about needing to take the perfect broadside shot.

OP should be obsessing over FOC and perfecting the Texas heart shot rather than anything else.

Scoot

WKR
Yes-- you're doing awesome! You don't need to go totally crazy. Shoot enough to be proficient and confident in your shooting. Get in the best shape you can. Sounds like you're doing great on both fronts. Those things are important, but not 1/10 as important as your kids and wife. It's sometimes easy to confuse priorities when the elk bug gets you (... or so I've heard...)

jbelz

FNG
It is good to workout. It is good to shoot your bow. Outside of hiking around a 3D course, I have never believed in combining a workout & shooting in the same session. I'm sure some folks will disagree, but trying to execute a good shot while being out of breath is a great way to develop bad habits and target panic. My recommendation would be to (separately) get in as good of shape as you can, and shoot as well as you can before your trip. Elk hunting is certainly more physically demanding than watching a football game on the couch, but it doesn't require hauling boulders up and down a mountain. You're already doing more than 90% of the people out there.

WCB

WKR
Easy....work out 4 days a week ... instead of 5 or 6. I also have 2 kids (another on the way). If your shooting is proficient already your good to go imo. Also, I get you live in suburbia, but 15minutes is not that long of a trek to go shoot.

Hunting out west in general is physical and it is nice to be in the best shape possible so you can absolute tear across a canyon or up a ridgeline if need be. Again, just my opinion, growing up an athlete and backpack hunting extensively out west, 4 days a week of strength and cardio will not be the downfall of your hunt. Enjoy the process and don't cram every moment with something.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
My routine is get off work go to my buddies house shoot our bows and do 12 ounce curls and get our steps in by walking to the target over and over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
Going on my first western hunt in September chasing elk. Everyone talks about how physical it is, so I've been putting effort in for a while to increase my fitness, but I'm also finding it hard to balance physical prep with shooting practice. Job, two young kids, so many hours in the day, etc.

My current method is working out 5-6 times a week, mix of strength, rucking, and assault bike.

I'm trying to shoot every day just in the garage at like, 3 yards, and really focus on the shot process and keep the muscle memory going.

Twice a week, I'm going to a range of some sort to practice distance shooting, anywhere between 20 and 80 yards, and I just got a membership to a local archery club that has a 3d course. Unfortunately that range is a bit far so I won't be able to make it out very often.

Curious on what other folks training programs look like. Thanks!
What’s “assault bike?”

It sounds like you’re on the right path, honestly. Don’t worry, it will suck physically no matter what. Mental toughness is a big part of it.

I’m going to add you will need to work on calling too.