how do you afford the gear

JWP58

WKR
Don't eat out. I stop wasting money on supplements. My wife and I sit down every month and make a menu for the entire month, we go to the super market and buy everything we need. Our vehicles are older, low mileage, and our payments combined are less than 700 (which is what some people pay for ONE vehicle...crazy). I workout at work, so no gym membership fee. I have an oldass flip phone that everyone makes fun of (but it didn't cost 600 bucks)

I don't blow money on junk (except red bull, but I'm getting off midnight shift so that will stop). We both get a set amount allowance for the month. I'm a tight wad and buy used quality gear, and sell stuff I don't use or want anymore (I'm considered a horse trader by friends).

We're cutting cable tv out. We have a flat screen ( 36") only because it was given to us and we don't go out to bars or steakhouses on the weekend and blow our money.

i havent had a car payment since 05. i have a flip phone. i dont have a gym membership. i dont have TV. i work overtime and side jobs. sometimes i buy used and sell gear i dont use anymore.

TEmbry

WKR
Man I'd much rather enjoy life and hit the hills with less than top of the line gear than live as frugal as some guys on here do to get the best.

To each his own I guess.

jherald

WKR
For those that drink a coffee out every morning at your local espresso or Starbucks, figure 5 bucks a day for the year= $1,825.00. There is nearly your entire Sitka or Kuiu line-up.

jherald

WKR
If your a smoker or chewer, average $7.00 daily= $2,555.00 for the year, just bought yourself a high end spotter and tripod. Or a custom rifle.

blb078

WKR
Man I'd much rather enjoy life and hit the hills with less than top of the line gear than live as frugal as some guys on here do to get the best.

To each his own I guess.

I agree, I'm fortunate enough to were I can enjoy my lifestyle w/o cutting back on things and still be able to buy the gear I want but if it came down to it I'd take crappy gear over having to miss Thirsty Thursday w/my homies every week. At the same time I don't keep gear I'm not using or not going to use and just put that money back into the bank when I sell it. But I'm also going to look for deals on gear when I can too because who doesn't like to save a little cash.

JWP58

WKR

To each his own I guess.

Hmmm maybe your "enjoyment" comes from things that other folks see as wasteful or moronic...(ie drinking, smartphones, 70" flat screens, 60k bro-trucks, ect, ect).

I've been fortunately professionally, and I aim to buy quality gear so I don't need to second-guess my purchases. Having said that, I'm grateful for everything I have, and particularly for the opportunity to simply go out on public land to hunt and fish.

Keep working hard, all honest work is admirable and is eventually rewarded.

There's great money saving tips here, but if you really want to afford all the gear you want I couldn't agree more with this comment. I have an engineering degree and an MBA. Not trying to sound like a pompous a$$hole (too late, right!?), but education and a great job is the easiest path to affording all the gear you want in my opinion. My parents were on welfare when I was born, so by no means was I born with some kind of silver spoon. They worked hard, taught me the value in it, and so did I, which let me get to where I'm at now. Because of it, I enjoy all the perks that come with it including buying more or less any gear I want (being unmarried with no kids helps too!!!).

2rocky

WKR
My gear has been acquired over 15 years. Bits and pieces here and there.

When asked what I want for birthdays and holidays, I ask for big ticket items that my family will buy jointly.

Multiple uses for gear is a big part of why I get it.

I worked hard to get into a career position that rewards my performance. That bonus money funds a lot of big ticket items.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just hunt hard and whore myself out to companies for clothing, backpacks, rifles, scopes, and knives. I save money on chew and booze by hunting with addicts. Steal food, scrounge change off the sidewalks...managed to get frequent flyer miles with bush pilots, and always, always shoot the first bull so my lifestyle is perpetuated.

seriously though, can we really ever justify what we spend on hunting and the kit we use? Shit, my last moose cost us $9.78 / lb said and done, "so don't expect to eat it when you visit" is the mantra I rehearse to my only friend...my wife!

ScottP

WKR
I am very similar,minus the girlfriend part, im happily married :) lol

I spend almost nothing on the basics,

I have a crappy pair of running shoes with the soles half hanging off, but i have lowa tibet hiking boots.
I have boxers with holes in them, but i wear icebreaker merino boxers when hunting.
I dont even own a jacket that isnt a hunting jacket.

I spend most of my expendable income on hunting and fishing, my buddies always ask how i can afford it and i say simple

you have the nicest tv's and surround sound money can buy, you have a $1000 lawnmower, you go on crusies for vacation, you go the bar and blow $200 bucks ina weekend, thats a new pair of pants, etc, thats why you have shitty hunting gear....

Lorne

My wife and I operate similarly to the above, our everyday street clothes are old or gifts, we almost never go buy new. I had a friend who once said, "I wish I could afford to shoot a nice bow and carry a nice pack in the mountains like you." He totally could if his life was more streamlined. First, we almost never eat out. That can be a giant money pit. When we lived where gardening was possible we did that and bought vegetable shares from local farms (very affordable). You can save up with some discipline. Neither of us make very much money. Some other points that have helped us save to invest in quality outdoor gear:
1) used cars, paid in cash. Low miles, but older models. They are a tool to get the job done (safely), period.
2) Minimize debt, no CC debt, ever.
3) no cable, satellite, HBO,NFL network, etc. Our monthly bills are rent, electric, and cell phone.
4) live simply - we have a tiny cheapo rental house that requires no expenditure on our part. All of our furniture except the mattress is 2nd hand or gifted.

Good luck.

littlebuf

Banned
Hmmm maybe your "enjoyment" comes from things that other folks see as wasteful or moronic...(ie drinking, smartphones, 70" flat screens, 60k bro-trucks, ect, ect).

Bingo. I've got the money to pretty well do what I please. What I please is being in the woods. I hate bars and trends, waste of time more than anything but also money

Mudd Foot

WKR
Am one of the blessed and lucky ones in life considering...

Spent 2 years active duty for the college fund back when they matched the $200 per month you put in the fund. The fund ran out in year two of school; waited tables 40 hours a week while taking 15 credits a semester.

After school, my career took my into the commercial insurance brokering business. This was a blessing as I met my wife at my second job.

I'm lucky as I get to take my clients on a couple of hunting trips annually, and use the costs against my taxes. I pay for my own expenses, so I use a Cabelas card for business.

In terms of gear purchased, it only comes after alot of research. Most of it is multi-purpose. It helps having a 9-year-old boy that is your best friend, as you get to relive a childhood, and have the toys or do the things that poverty prevented in your own childhood.

topher89

WKR
I am middle school teacher, been at 3 years and I am making less now than I did my first year because of budget cuts. My wife is in grad school so no second income.

With all that said, to buy gear I....
1. Do not eat out except for dates with the wife.
2. Buy a toy, sell a toy
3. Ask for the items for birthdays/christmas or just cash
4. No cable (Netflix is only $7 a month for online streaming)
5. I backpack with my hunting gear and hunt with my backpacking gear (I don't have multiples of items)
6. No CC debt
7. I do the yearbook club at school for a little extra money
8. Buy used or wait for the right deal
9. Reload my ammo

I find deals and buy in modesty, I bought a set of vortex vipers, could I have ponied up for swaro's? Sure, but the vortex do me just fine and I saved 1000 bucks to put to other things. I have sitka and Kuiu. Bought sitka off camofire for less then half the price and buy Kuiu used or when it goes on sale. The only thing you will ever see me pay full price on is boots, learning that lesson once was enough.

In all honesty I like a big TV and steak dinners on occasion, but modesty is the key for me. And honestly I like having a beer with friends much more then having swaro's around my neck or on my tripod. So if I have to "settle" for something a little less then the best I'm alright with that. Cuz in the end it is just stuff, and not having something is not going to keep me from going out into the woods. The animals are not gonna care if my tent is 6 pounds or 2

kaboku68

WKR
No ATV, No Supercub, No new truck, no jetboat. I live in a crappy trailer. However, I buy a gun and a bow every year. I generally get a pack every year.
I spend less than most Alaskans on hunting. I figure while I am teaching in the 18+ years in the cycle I better get while the getting is good so I have a lot of redundancy. I also work at a local box store for a good discount.
I also take one air charter per year. I have to save up for that sucker. However, I am not going to Hawaii.

Rucker61

WKR
My wife and I operate similarly to the above, our everyday street clothes are old or gifts, we almost never go buy new. I had a friend who once said, "I wish I could afford to shoot a nice bow and carry a nice pack in the mountains like you."

When did you upgrade to a Kifaru? ;)

First, we almost never eat out. That can be a giant money pit.

Where would you go?

Of course, if I had your harvest this year, I wouldn't need to go out for food.