How do I make my goat taste better?

I Second the grinding cut with pork, and also crock pot recipes for things like roasts. Tomato based sauces or anything acidic will help tenderize during a slow cooker process

Clarktar

WKR
Lately I have been coating my Backstrap in a spice rub, then onto the smoker. 30 mins at 200, then 30 mins at 300. Internal temp around 145. Pull rest for 5 minutes then slice thin.

I tried pan frying Backstrap medallions in butter. That was a bit tough on the jaw. The smoker approach has been tender, enough so that my five year old has no problem enjoying.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I only read the first page fwiw.

Marinade for burger or steaks. For burgers I use Balsamic vinegar. For steak I use Stubbs beef marinade. Had some less than great beef butchered last year. Would be curious for goat.

Fajitas, Philly cheese steak, chili, spaghetti, tacos/burritos and sloppy joes would be other options. Maybe meat loaf.

Could re-grind with pork/bacon.

Biltong! It's friggin delicious and super easy. Took me a long time to figure this out, but South Africa eats the shit out of wild game and a lot of it is pretty gamey. Their classic recipes work great to cover up or compliment the natural strong taste if you get one that's a little more pungent than usual.

This is the recipe I follow with deer and elk, it works great.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
When ever I have had any game that had a gamey taste I soak it in either milk or buttermilk. Not only removes most of the gamey taste , but actually tenderizes the meat. It's kind of a hit or miss process, too long in milk came make it mushy. I found it also works on fish.

Try marinating roasts in coke or dr pepper. I have found that will remove gamey taste. I'd agree with others, grind with some grass fed beef or elk and that should help too.

Cocidius

FNG
Highly recommend Northern Indian/Himalayan dishes, they are usually done with higher mountain goats. Well suited to what you want.

Also, hard to overstate the benefits of slow cooked chili or juniper to cut gamey flavors.

Another thing for all you guys is a spice blend called berbere. It is an Ethiopian spice blend that is heavy on chili powder. Goat is common thing it is cooked in and has an excellent flavor that goes well with a lot of things. It’s similar to red chiles in the southwest

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I always have said if game taste so bad you need to season to get rid of the taste, it isn't worth eating. I use seasoning to add to the flavor not to hid it.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
Trying out Northern Indian dishes is actually not a bad idea. I have seen some recipes of them and it actually looked quite delicious. The seasoning and spices add into the flavor so much that I can assure you will help you make your goat taste much more delicious.

MtnMike

FNG
Two options come to mind. One is an old Italian family reciped and the other I heard (but never tried) from an islander I met in St. Maarten.

1. Scaloppini - cut meat into medalions, beat the heck out of them with a meat mallet until thin and tender. Coat with flour (seasoned with salt and pepper) and pan fry to set aside.
Deglaze pan with 1-2 cups of wine. Add chopped mushrooms. Cook until alcohol is completely gone and sauce starts to thicken. Add meat back in, fill up cast iron with enough chicken stock to cover meat. Add 2 sprigs of italian parsley and 2 sprigs of tyme on top. Bring to a boil cover, drop to a simmer, and then slow cook for 2 or so hours. Serve on a bed of polenta. It should come out tender as a womans heart.

#2. I was in St. Maarten and talking with a guy at the bar, turns out he was the head chef at one of the fancy restaurants on the island. We were BS'ing and then started talking food, game, and things of the like. He brought up goat and I told him I never had one I liked. He suggested the following...

Step 1, salt and pepper your meat.
Step 2. Brown in cast iron/dutch oven
Step 3. Saute your mirepoix (fine chopped carrots, celery, and onion) until softened.
Step 4. Add meat back in, add whatever seasoniong you like, carribean jerk, italian dressing, or just cover with stock.
Step 5. Bring to a boil, then dowm to a simmer and cover for a couple hours.

He claims the mirepoix takes all the "gamieness" out of it and it damn near melts in your mouth.

I havent had the opportunity to cook with goat since then but if I did, I'd put this recipe on top of garlic mashed potatoes with a nice heavy red wine.😉

Good luck and dm me if you'd like more specifics.

OP
chizelhead

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Update: Chorizo is a winner and easy. I think letting it sit overnight in the vinegar helped. I made barbacoa again, and it's still a winner. It's great the next day mixed with eggs. I look forward to trying the other recommendations!

OP
chizelhead

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I tried soaking it in buttermilk for 24 hours. It was kind of gross. It was still funky with a tangy taste added to it. Maybe I'll just try milk.

Works for tough cuts of an old buck whitetail, I believe it's the casins (think that's what they're called) in the milk that work on the meat, my main hunting buddy swears by it. I have done it and seems to do the trick. use regular milk, butter milk that's where the tangy taste came from.

andersson

FNG
There are different approaches to using this stuff, but I smash it up with olive oil or canola oil and an equal volume of fresh lime juice (or orange), and add more of the achiote powder as necessary till you have a thick paste. Look for cochinita pibil recipes and you'll get the idea.

Attachments

• achiote.jpg
    achiote.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 7