How do I make my goat taste better?

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I got my first goat this year. I've been trying to figure out ways to prepare it. I did barbacoa which turned out great. I also do smash burgers. It's tough. I tried wet aging a chunk of backstrap for 2 weeks and it was still tough. It also has a unique gamey funk to it that I'm not really meshing with. I'm hoping to figure out how to enjoy it more, otherwise, I'm less inclined to keep hunting them. I have plans to try braseola and pastrami. I would appreciate any other ideas. Thanks in advance --

Last edited:

Read1t48

WKR
To make it taste better, I would add elk meat! It would probably work :)

In all seriousness, have you tried Sous Vide?
Try this recipe. I think you'll like it...

Beautiful goat in your avatar.

BBob

WKR
Grind it mixed with pork shoulder into chorizo. I do 25% and up pork. I do this with javelina which I don’t care for much as plain meat. If I didn’t tell anyone they’d never know they were eating one of the stinky pigs.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
I made quite a few crock pot recipes with my goat. The favorite of my family is Mississippi pot roast. Super easy and takes the edge out of most gamey flavors.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
If you like Thai food grind it up and use it in a Kapow dish, (recipes available on the Internet) I don’t know if you’re close to an Asian food store. You can get all the ingredients you need there.

I got my first goat this year. I've been trying to figure out ways to prepare it. I did barbacoa which turned out great. I also do smash burgers. It's tough. I tried wet aging a chunk of backstrap for 2 weeks and it was still tough. It also has a unique gamey funk to it that I'm not really meshing with. I'm hoping to figure out how to enjoy it more, otherwise, I'm less inclined to keep hunting them. I have plans to try braseola and pastrami. I would appreciate any other ideas. Thanks in advance --
Beautiful animal (I am assuming it's the one in your av).
Wait, the backstrap is tough?!

OP
chizelhead

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Thx for the ideas and kudos on the goat. Even the backstrap is tough. After two weeks, I took it out. I sliced a thin slice and put it on a hot cast iron. It was good. I tried a 1/4" slice and it was chewy as leather. Another example is when I did the barbacoa. I cut a round roast into 2" pieces, smoked it for an hour, and then slow cooked it for 8 hrs. Even then I couldn't get a fork into. I put the lid back on and pressure cooked it for an hour. Then it was fork split and made excellent tacos. Next time I'll skip the slow cook.

Trial153

WKR
Taste is fine, just tough as nails…no surprises there. Wet cook till it falls apart or grind it. Even the back strap is tough as a tire.

jfs82

WKR
As far as a sausage that would stand up to any strong meat flavors... Thai/Burmese sausage called Sai Ua, spicy and herby.

Meat eater said that some meat (if I rem correctly bear) that he lets it in freezer AT LEAST one year to break down meat before eating (stuff that’s tough)

Otherwise ya can find diff blends that “break meat down”. I’ve also bought a meat tenderizer (never used lol), but I think they might work too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojave

WKR
Grind the entire thing, and add 25% by weight beef fat.

Works 99% of the time.

Grind the burger and then let the blood drain out of it.

Soups, stews, and currys are pretty good at masking flavor, and braising will make any meat tender. The pastrami is a good idea, that salty brine plus the smoking process will probably make it unrecognizable - and delicious.

Northpark

WKR
Never had goat before but the Aoudad in my avatar was like what you described minus the gaminess. It tasted great but was tough as boot leather. I ground a lot, mixed it with pork fat and made chorizo, also ended up making a lot of burgers and tacos. If you grind some bacon into the burger the hamburgers are fantastic. Moroccan dishes like plum Tanjin were good too. Slow cook and forget making steaks.

Best part of these “other” meats is that it can really teach you some cooking skills and expand your palate outside the normal American fare. Congrats on the goat!