How common are B&C qualifying mountain goats?

Recently killed my first goat. A "trophy" billy in my opinion, and a "trophy" to most hunters probably at 6 yrs old scoring 47.25". The billy mine was with was a little bigger but was inaccessible. I saw plenty other billy's that were around the size of mine + or - an inch or two. This has me curious... are B&C qualifying goats fairly common or is it a pretty hard bar to reach no matter where they come from?

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure if anyone could answer that. Depends on the area etc. Some areas may produce a book goat every 10 years and some areas produce multiple in one year.

Regardless of the species a true record book animal is special and not that common.

Congrats on the goat!

OP
D
I’m not sure if anyone could answer that. Depends on the area etc. Some areas may produce a book goat every 10 years and some areas produce multiple in one year.

Regardless of the species a true record book animal is special and not that common.

Congrats on the goat!
Goat is from AK and being a draw tag I would think the likelihood of getting one that is around that mark would be fairly common?

Seems the southeast registration hunts are hit or miss as far as trophy horn size?

No such thing as an easy B&C anything. Maybe a moose in CO, but a B&C goat is not an easy task. Heck the amount of goats smashed after being shot, just having two horns intact is a blessing.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
Goat is from AK and being a draw tag I would think the likelihood of getting one that is around that mark would be fairly common?

Seems the southeast registration hunts are hit or miss as far as trophy horn size?
Just my opinion but I don’t think a net book goat is more common in a draw tag vs OTC/registration in AK. Alaska doesn’t manage mt goats for trophy potential. Likely if it’s a draw it’s just to regulate harvest more closely due to ease of access etc.

I’ve seen a lot of book animals that are not book animals. The amount of shrink on many animals is exponentially higher once an official scorer picks it up. There’s a big difference between one that grosses book and nets book.

IIRC book is 50” on a mountain goat. Just not a lot of those running around.

280Ackley

WKR
Recently killed my first goat. A "trophy" billy in my opinion, and a "trophy" to most hunters probably at 6 yrs old scoring 47.25". The billy mine was with was a little bigger but was inaccessible. I saw plenty other billy's that were around the size of mine + or - an inch or two. This has me curious... are B&C qualifying goats fairly common or is it a pretty hard bar to reach no matter where they come from?
Is this measurement after or before the drying period?

It seems like you’re trying to find out where to find the biggest billies. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s almost like asking which specific units you should go hunt at.
As it pertains to mountain goats specifically, I think the most important thing to make it a real trophy is first to identify it as a Billy, and second respect the animal enough not to shoot it unless it is a Billy and recoverable. Once those two conditions are met, whatever size the horns are, it is a trophy of an animal.
The memories are really the only thing that matter in the end.

Decker9

WKR
Book goats aren’t hard to come by if in the right areas, ime. Often we see 4-5 year old goats make book in the coastal regions (BC).

Let’s hear the story on your trophy!! Congratulations!!!