How Big of a Pack for Daypack and Meat Hauling? Any Suggestions?

To be frank I haven't killed a big game animal yet so I don't have experience on meat hauling. But every time I go out I get closer. I've run into herds with spikes that'll be legal next year already.

But these places wouldn't be easy pack-outs. So I'm looking for a daypack and meat hauler on a budget (I've already spent too much on backpacks for hiking/backpacking). Not looking for something elk-worthy, but pig and blacktails I've definitely got my sights on. I have an old external frame but it's not well suited for the task, it gets caught on a lot and clanks and damages the finish on my gun.

Or maybe a large internal frame backpack would be able to handle a quartered out pig or deer? I regularly see used Terraplanes for much cheaper than something like a Pop up. Would packing out a deer suck a lot worse than with an external frame?

On a budget means used. How tight of budget are you on?

I run a 1700ci bag on a stone glacier frame. Its about perfect for day hunting blacktail an such IMO

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
A Terraplane is one of the best bargains out there, but beware of those packs that have a gooey liner - as the urethane liner breaks down with age it is literally sticky. Some say wiping it down well with painters alcohol helps, but it’s easier to just buy a pack that isnt sticky yet. Also, stay away from the light weight version - they do not hold up to heavy weights. Make sure the waist belt is the correct size - parts for old packs like replacement belts are nonexistent.

The Astralplane is just a slightly larger version of the Terraplane.

There’s another pack similar to the Terraplane, but without the rear pockets - maybe it’s called the Swift Current?

fshaw

WKR
I use a 3,000 cubic inch pack for a full size quartered whitetail. Quartered is femur, scapula and humerus still in the meat. Remove these and you could get away with a bit less.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Following.

I got a Slumberjack 2.0 that's (IMO) huge and I'd love a day pack that won't break the bank that can haul elk quarters.

OP
H
On a budget means used. How tight of budget are you on?

I run a 1700ci bag on a stone glacier frame. Its about perfect for day hunting blacktail an such IMO
I've got my eye on a few used packs, most of which are running under $100. My area has a lot more hikers than hunters so they're more geared towards hikers, but some of them are meant for heavier loads.
A Terraplane is one of the best bargains out there, but beware of those packs that have a gooey liner - as the urethane liner breaks down with age it is literally sticky. Some say wiping it down well with painters alcohol helps, but it’s easier to just buy a pack that isnt sticky yet. Also, stay away from the light weight version - they do not hold up to heavy weights. Make sure the waist belt is the correct size - parts for old packs like replacement belts are nonexistent.

The Astralplane is just a slightly larger version of the Terraplane.

There’s another pack similar to the Terraplane, but without the rear pockets - maybe it’s called the Swift Current?
Are you saying some versions of the Terraplane have the gooey liner? I'm all too familiar with that junk, I've never actually been able to fix it except by peeling it off while it's still mostly one piece. I'll be wary of the waist belt - thanks for the heads up.

How do the Terraframe and Terraplane compare? Is it mostly the same concepts just implemented in external vs internal? And which is generally preferable? I think the Terraframe can pop out just like a pop up. I think the Terraframe 50 is lighter than the Terraplane as well.

mcseal2

WKR
It won't be quite as cheap, but I'd look for a used Exo K2 or K3. Maybe get a solid color one you can use for other things as well and sell another pack. Any bag under 5k should work, they compact very well while giving you room if you want the space for a later hunt. I find that the 2200 bag on my K4 is great as long as I'm not packing a bunch of later season clothing or a lot of optics, like my Slik 634 tripod, spotter, and 15x binos.

I have a K4 5000 and still find myself using my K2 3500 for a lot of my day hunts. I prefer the horseshoe zipper on the K4 to the single side zipper on the K2, but it's not a huge deal. The 3500 seems to easily pack all my stuff without the side pockets being tighter and harder to get my spotter and tripod out of. I tend to take my Kuiu Superdown Pro jacket and Ultra pants if there is even a chance I might need them which adds some bulk.

I've tried some other brands but Exo seems to have a perfect mix of vertical rigidity to handle weight well and horizontal flex to allow me to move through timber or rough terrain. I have tried other packs that did not seem to have the horizontal flex I like, although I'll admit packs have changed since I was trying them out. Since buying the K2 I have stuck with the Exo brand, I'm sure others have improved as well.

The rifle holders on the Exo packs work well for transporting a gun too, I'd recommend that if you will be hiking a lot and don't always need instant access to the rifle.

TaperPin

WKR
I've got my eye on a few used packs, most of which are running under $100. My area has a lot more hikers than hunters so they're more geared towards hikers, but some of them are meant for heavier loads.

Are you saying some versions of the Terraplane have the gooey liner? I'm all too familiar with that junk, I've never actually been able to fix it except by peeling it off while it's still mostly one piece. I'll be wary of the waist belt - thanks for the heads up.

How do the Terraframe and Terraplane compare? Is it mostly the same concepts just implemented in external vs internal? And which is generally preferable? I think the Terraframe can pop out just like a pop up. I think the Terraframe 50 is lighter than the Terraplane as well.
Any old pack can have a gooey liner - it’s just the way urethane breaks down. Packs stored in cool dry places break down more slowly.

I have both the Terraframe and Terraplane, and the biggest difference is weight in the framed version is slightly farther away from the body - it’s very noticeable and you constantly feel like it’s pulling backwards. I keep it as a loaner pack, and if you’re starting out there’s nothing wrong with it.

The cool thing about old Dana packs is the design has aged very well - current backpacking packs aren’t any better. A true dedicated hunting pack it’s not. If you adjust for inflation, a made in Montana Dana Terraplane cost the equivalent of $600 today.

Last edited:

dreadi

FNG
I suppose it depends on the size of deer. Last year I took a whitetail doe in Montana, boned it out in the field and brought out a whopping 20lbs of meat. My Kifaru Hellbender was not at all taxed. Later that week I took a true spike elk, deboned in the field, three friends helped pack it out. Everyone had at least a quarter boned out and I had the head. Same pack and it felt good. The following week, same season, I helped one of those friends pack out and I carried a bone in rear quarter. I was beat, felt quite taxed, pack was fine though.

OP
H
Unfortunately the Exo is definitely out of my price range. I think that costs more than all my current packs for hiking and fishing combined haha.

Any old pack can have a gooey liner - it’s just the way urethane breaks down. Packs stored in cool dry places break down more slowly.

I have both the Terraframe and Terraplane, and the biggest difference is weight in the framed version is slightly farther away from the body - it’s very noticeable and you constantly feel like it’s pulling backwards. I keep it as a loaner pack, and if you’re starting out there’s nothing wrong with it.

The cool thing about old Dana packs is the design has aged very well - current backpacking packs aren’t any better. A true dedicated hunting pack it’s not. If you adjust for inflation, a made in Montana Dana Terraplane cost the equivalent of $600 today.
Ah got it - I think modern packs have moved away from urethane as I don't notice that texture anymore on new packs. Not sure when they made the switch though.

Very helpful information - sounds like the Terraplane is more comfortable, if a bit heavier and without the "overload" feature. Funnily enough I think the Terraplane I'm looking at is an older Dana Designs one.

My Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 is perfect for a daypack/meat hauler. It’s hauled meat up to 80lbs

But Kuiu doesn’t make it anymore
Yeah I've had my eyes on this and the similar Badlands pack as well, I think the 2200? But used Mystery Ranch's are cheaper and seem to be more respected. Don't see the Kuius as often and in general am not a big fan of the brand.

I suppose it depends on the size of deer. Last year I took a whitetail doe in Montana, boned it out in the field and brought out a whopping 20lbs of meat. My Kifaru Hellbender was not at all taxed. Later that week I took a true spike elk, deboned in the field, three friends helped pack it out. Everyone had at least a quarter boned out and I had the head. Same pack and it felt good. The following week, same season, I helped one of those friends pack out and I carried a bone in rear quarter. I was beat, felt quite taxed, pack was fine though.
Legal deer here are pretty small too, but definitely going to be more than 20 lbs of meat. They'd be large at 150 lbs. So I'm expecting maybe 80 lbs max with bone-in quarters.

Thanks for the info everyone! Very helpful.

Unfortunately the Exo is definitely out of my price range. I think that costs more than all my current packs for hiking and fishing combined haha.

Ah got it - I think modern packs have moved away from urethane as I don't notice that texture anymore on new packs. Not sure when they made the switch though.

Very helpful information - sounds like the Terraplane is more comfortable, if a bit heavier and without the "overload" feature. Funnily enough I think the Terraplane I'm looking at is an older Dana Designs one.

Yeah I've had my eyes on this and the similar Badlands pack as well, I think the 2200? But used Mystery Ranch's are cheaper and seem to be more respected. Don't see the Kuius as often and in general am not a big fan of the brand.

Legal deer here are pretty small too, but definitely going to be more than 20 lbs of meat. They'd be large at 150 lbs. So I'm expecting maybe 80 lbs max with bone-in quarters.

Thanks for the info everyone! Very helpful.

All you need is a frame and a dry bag. I’d join Exo Facebook group and look for a used frame.

With that said I don’t think you can go wrong with a EXO, Kifaru or stone frame, and then add bags later

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I have a Badlands 2800 that I use as a day pack all the time as it is very light. It will also hold as much meat/critter as I can carry. I've had it to 80 lbs a few times.

maxk777

FNG
To be frank I haven't killed a big game animal yet so I don't have experience on meat hauling. But every time I go out I get closer. I've run into herds with spikes that'll be legal next year already.

But these places wouldn't be easy pack-outs. So I'm looking for a daypack and meat hauler on a budget (I've already spent too much on backpacks for hiking/backpacking). Not looking for something elk-worthy, but pig and blacktails I've definitely got my sights on. I have an old external frame but it's not well suited for the task, it gets caught on a lot and clanks and damages the finish on my gun.

Or maybe a large internal frame backpack would be able to handle a quartered out pig or deer? I regularly see used Terraplanes for much cheaper than something like a Pop up. Would packing out a deer suck a lot worse than with an external frame?
I use a MR metcalf for both as it can easily compress down into a daypack