How Big of a Pack for Daypack and Meat Hauling? Any Suggestions?

To be frank I haven't killed a big game animal yet so I don't have experience on meat hauling. But every time I go out I get closer. I've run into herds with spikes that'll be legal next year already.

But these places wouldn't be easy pack-outs. So I'm looking for a daypack and meat hauler on a budget (I've already spent too much on backpacks for hiking/backpacking). Not looking for something elk-worthy, but pig and blacktails I've definitely got my sights on. I have an old external frame but it's not well suited for the task, it gets caught on a lot and clanks and damages the finish on my gun.

Or maybe a large internal frame backpack would be able to handle a quartered out pig or deer? I regularly see used Terraplanes for much cheaper than something like a Pop up. Would packing out a deer suck a lot worse than with an external frame?

On a budget means used. How tight of budget are you on?

I run a 1700ci bag on a stone glacier frame. Its about perfect for day hunting blacktail an such IMO

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
A Terraplane is one of the best bargains out there, but beware of those packs that have a gooey liner - as the urethane liner breaks down with age it is literally sticky. Some say wiping it down well with painters alcohol helps, but it’s easier to just buy a pack that isnt sticky yet. Also, stay away from the light weight version - they do not hold up to heavy weights. Make sure the waist belt is the correct size - parts for old packs like replacement belts are nonexistent.

The Astralplane is just a slightly larger version of the Terraplane.

There’s another pack similar to the Terraplane, but without the rear pockets - maybe it’s called the Swift Current?

fshaw

WKR
I use a 3,000 cubic inch pack for a full size quartered whitetail. Quartered is femur, scapula and humerus still in the meat. Remove these and you could get away with a bit less.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Following.

I got a Slumberjack 2.0 that's (IMO) huge and I'd love a day pack that won't break the bank that can haul elk quarters.

OP
H
On a budget means used. How tight of budget are you on?

I run a 1700ci bag on a stone glacier frame. Its about perfect for day hunting blacktail an such IMO
I've got my eye on a few used packs, most of which are running under $100. My area has a lot more hikers than hunters so they're more geared towards hikers, but some of them are meant for heavier loads.
A Terraplane is one of the best bargains out there, but beware of those packs that have a gooey liner - as the urethane liner breaks down with age it is literally sticky. Some say wiping it down well with painters alcohol helps, but it’s easier to just buy a pack that isnt sticky yet. Also, stay away from the light weight version - they do not hold up to heavy weights. Make sure the waist belt is the correct size - parts for old packs like replacement belts are nonexistent.

The Astralplane is just a slightly larger version of the Terraplane.

There’s another pack similar to the Terraplane, but without the rear pockets - maybe it’s called the Swift Current?
Are you saying some versions of the Terraplane have the gooey liner? I'm all too familiar with that junk, I've never actually been able to fix it except by peeling it off while it's still mostly one piece. I'll be wary of the waist belt - thanks for the heads up.

How do the Terraframe and Terraplane compare? Is it mostly the same concepts just implemented in external vs internal? And which is generally preferable? I think the Terraframe can pop out just like a pop up. I think the Terraframe 50 is lighter than the Terraplane as well.