How Big of a Pack for Daypack and Meat Hauling? Any Suggestions?

tony

WKR
Get on camo fire and Dvor they run pretty good pack deals all the time.
Haven’t used eBay in years but you might find a deal there.

Search mystery ranch pop up here and on line

Macintosh

WKR
I mostly day-hunt out of an 18l MR pop-up, and that includes food, water, FA kit, kill kit, headlamp, rain gear, insulated jacket and pants, hat, spare gloves, the works...and it comfortably carries a quartered deer in the load shelf. If it's really cold and I want to also bring a stove and some food, a thermos bottle, a heavier down jacket to sit in frigid wx, any additional gear, etc my 28l pop-up easily fits all this. I'm 6'3" size L or XL clothing too, so it's not like everything I put in my pack is tiny. Are you guys who are recommending a 45-50l pack (2800+ cu in) as a day pack assuming it does not have a meat shelf, so you are putting a deer IN the pack in addition to your gear? I guess I think of that size pack as a multi-day size, I've done 3-day overnights out of a 50l pack many times and not felt like I was bursting at the seams. I generally dont like an oversized pack for day trips because it just encourages bringing stuff I dont need and probably wont use. If you are getting a frame that can attach to various size pack-bags or a pack that crosses-over into a multi-day pack it makes perfect sense...but I have a hard time calling a pack that big a "day pack". Carrying a 85-90mm spotter and tripod inside the pack in addition to all gear? I also understand having a "loose fitting" pack that allows you to stuff everything in in the dark without thinking about how it fits, so maybe there's that angle. Just curious what the angle is that has folks recommending these bigger packs?

Last edited:

Tradchef

WKR
I think it just depends what you really need it for. If you plan on ever hunting the West for elk and larger game, just whitetails and maybe hogs or turkeys or setting stands, deer and backpacking, solo hunting or do you hunt with other folks that can help split the load? I know I hunt solo and live and hunt out West. Once in a while my lady does a rifle hunt and I pack her stuff as well. I am a big fan of packing meat in the bag and also meat on the bone regardless of animal size. Sometimes that is difficult to do in certain situations but 98% of the time that's what I do. I prefer a 5000 cui. that compresses and I also like the crib style attachment that goes to the frame especially after the first load to the truck is done. You can seriously horse out some weight and save weight going back in. I also backpack in mine all summer. I do have an osprey I use for more ultra light day hikes and foraging but for longer hikes say 10 to 18 miles of more I use my hunting pack. When I lived back east I used an old EMS 1800 pack for most of my tree stand hunts. That Kuiu 1800 above with load shelf would be great for most things. If you hunt cold weather and need to layer you need to think about that stuff and it soaks up a lot of room for clothing and puffy's and such. I think the load pannier and lid and a few pockets is a good alternative too. I also think if you wanted a more of a do all type of pack anything from a 2200 to a 3800 or even a 4k would be outstanding. If you want to stay in a backpacking pack and not hunting pack the Osprey Atmos is a good one and there are a couple I have seen from Gregory and Deuter. Mystery Ranch has a couple of backpacks non hunting that would be great. Or if you can find an older model of Metcalf with the NICE Frame that were made in Bozeman back in the day those things are bombproof and haul a ton but are heavier. If you had a load pannier and smaller pack or lid system you can pack in stands, sticks etc. You can carry deer out whole in those things as well so like what has been said above you can do a lot with that style. Also what was mentioned above was a dry bag and load shelf . That works good too and you have the frame to pack. The modular design is great to mix and match your situation but if you can't have more than one I think that's why most are saying get a bigger pack. You get a little more versatility if you decide to do western hunting and east coast hunting without having to buy something else until you see what you need after you do your hunt. If you stay just whitetails I think anything you choose will be just fine.