How ABSOLUTE LOW must one stoop?

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
Man, what a bummer to have a hunt ruined in that manner! I hope he is able to get back out there and kill a big one!

I had a hunt almost ruined in a similar manner a number of years ago. We had hiked in about 3-1/2 miles and set up a spike camp. We hung our food outside the tipi to keep it away from critters and went out hunting for the day. When we returned, all our food was gone. And it wasn't any 4-legged critters that had taken it. Turned out there were horse tracks all the way up to our camp, they had ridden their horses up and grabbed our food out of the tree and taken off with it. Was a pretty big bummer to be sitting up at 11,000', miles from the truck, exhausted after a long day of chasing bulls and not have any dinner to make. Luckily we had some spotty cell service about 3/4 mile from camp and were able to call a buddy who brought us in some food the next day.

We notified the sheriffs office and other folks around the area. Come to find out there was an outfitter that was going around and doing this to camps that were in "his" area. He was trying his best to run off every other hunter that he could. This was an archery hunt and he didn't even set his camp up until 2nd rifle there in CO. He just didn't want any competition. It was an OTC unit that had plenty of bulls, nothing huge, just a fun area to hunt. He was never charged with taking our food, but he did end up in the gray bar hotel for some other shenaningans, so I guess he got what was coming to him. But still was pretty upsetting to have another person come into our camp and steal our food.
Just curious can you give us a general area where this fella was operating?

WKR

WKR
Hypothetically...if you were hiking back to camp and were within sight, and you saw a thief rummaging through your tent and supplies, could you fire off a warning shot at his feet?

chasewild

WKR
My coworker relayed this story to me this morning as it was our first day back after a 4 day weekend.
His nephew is a stud and an absolute machine in the mountains along with being a devoted, ethical passionate hunter.......a great guy as I know him.
He hunts solo and packed in a few miles this weekend for deer. He uses really good gear, has a tipi along with a titanium wood stove.
He gets his camp all set up and goes hunting. Gets back after dark whooped, ready for warm food and shelter and finds out some lowlife douche has taken his wood stove and pipe. He's absolutely bent and can't believe it AND its his only source of heating water.
I mean, come on, its the backcountry of Idaho. Really?

Randy

Unfortunately, I've been there too.

180ls1

WKR
Hypothetically...if you were hiking back to camp and were within sight, and you saw a thief rummaging through your tent and supplies, could you fire off a warning shot at his feet?

The risk is probably not worth the "reward."

180ls1

WKR
So many comments from people losing gear to theft in the backcountry...seems like it's time to start bringing game/security cams for camp.

Also makes me wonder if good outfitters know who the bad ones are who do this. Or "influencers".

Honestly, I think its just the human condition.

There are plenty of "good ol' boys" who would do the same and feel justified in doing so via some stupid rationale.

I had 1200$ of camo stolen in challis Idaho this year. Seems like times are changing and we need to be more careful.
Could you expand on this story? Challis is maybe 750 population. I was down there two years ago. I felt awful for the town (as if it had feelings) watching every Side by Side and UTV descend upon such a cool place.

As a former Idaho resident and someone who is very actively trying to get back to that area.....

I've found Idahoans to be THE MOST SAVAGE AND FERAL critters in the field. I've had my vehicle fukt with the most....in Idaho.

Makes me sad

wyosam

WKR
That’s messed up. I often leave my camp up for weeks at a time (like when I have to go to work for a couple days or whatever) I’ve never had anything messed with yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
No, you cant use or threaten lethal force to protect property.

No, you cant use or threaten lethal force to protect property.

In Nevada and other states with Castle Doctrine laws, you most definitely can use lethal force to protect your property, including camping tents - the perpetrator does not even need to threaten you with violence. The important fine-print here is that your home/tent/car must be occupied at the time. So if you come back to your tent, I don't believe that counts...unless you walk right up and "occupy" it again?

7mm-08

WKR
I have a friend who is a reputable Idaho guide. Eight or ten years ago, he and a friend packed into a remote area in Hells Canyon to shed hunt. They observed another shed hunter in the area and identified him visually and from the vehicle he was driving that was at the trailhead where they parked. While my friend and his companion were out shed hunting the following day, their tents were ransacked. The guy stole Jetboil stoves and other smaller items he could hide in his pack and carry out without being overt about it. They reported the incident to the local sheriff's office and they actually sent a deputy out to confront interview the suspect, which is more than I expected in response. They never got their stuff back and my friend knows exactly where this guy lives, etc. Again, hard to believe someone would do this to a fellow outdoorsman.

Loo.wii

WKR
My coworker relayed this story to me this morning as it was our first day back after a 4 day weekend.
His nephew is a stud and an absolute machine in the mountains along with being a devoted, ethical passionate hunter.......a great guy as I know him.
He hunts solo and packed in a few miles this weekend for deer. He uses really good gear, has a tipi along with a titanium wood stove.
He gets his camp all set up and goes hunting. Gets back after dark whooped, ready for warm food and shelter and finds out some lowlife douche has taken his wood stove and pipe. He's absolutely bent and can't believe it AND its his only source of heating water.
I mean, come on, its the backcountry of Idaho. Really?

Randy
WOW........Thats a good way to get someone to freeze to death. I hope that shitbag gets caught

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
So if you come back to your tent, I don't believe that counts...unless you walk right up and "occupy" it again?
If the bad guys dont run off and you get inside your tent then I guess your right you could apply castle law but this hypothetical is really a slim chance. Your life would still have to be in danger regardless of castle law. Theres not a wholelot you can do camping except confront them with equal force, only if necessary. if they run off let them go.

If the bad guys dont run off and you get inside your tent then I guess your right you could apply castle law but this hypothetical is really a slim chance. Your life would still have to be in danger regardless of castle law. Theres not a wholelot you can do camping except confront them with equal force, only if necessary. if they run off let them go.

Close, but not quite - you have the right to protect your property with lethal force, if occupied. It's not about protecting your life or body. They do not have to threaten you in any way.

Your point about the warning shot I believe is accurate though - it's a generally accepted rule to never, ever fire a warning shot, for a bunch of criminal, civil, and gun-safety reasons.

What's interesting for me here on this, is that at least in Nevada, your tent would have to be occupied. But if you're in the back country, it's highly arguable that someone stealing your stove could constitute a lethal threat to your life. Separate from castle doctrine - would lethal force be justifiable, if your life is threatened like that? The stealing of a life-critical piece of gear in a remote location?

pugwylde

FNG
Half the time people still leave their trucks unblocked, but I have noticed more people treating hunting spots like their own private Idaho. That said, I run into tweakers and put farmers every now and then... You can usually tell by the vehicle that has no business being on the road you thought twice about driving your truck on.

7mm-08

WKR
Close, but not quite - you have the right to protect your property with lethal force, if occupied. It's not about protecting your life or body. They do not have to threaten you in any way.

Your point about the warning shot I believe is accurate though - it's a generally accepted rule to never, ever fire a warning shot, for a bunch of criminal, civil, and gun-safety reasons.

What's interesting for me here on this, is that at least in Nevada, your tent would have to be occupied. But if you're in the back country, it's highly arguable that someone stealing your stove could constitute a lethal threat to your life. Separate from castle doctrine - would lethal force be justifiable, if your life is threatened like that? The stealing of a life-critical piece of gear in a remote location?
This scenario sounds like a great law school essay project!

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I dont believe this is correct, you cant shoot someone inside your "castle" in the back as they are walking out with your items in hand. Thats not my understanding of castle doctrine, your life still has to be threatened.
This hypothetical isnt the question here either, returning to camp is.

Someone could argue life by deprivation of life essential items but that would be a really really weak argument to make if you can just hike out.
I wouldnt try to think of hypotheticals to justify pre-determining actions using force thats a great way to get convicted. Bottom line, was your life in immediate danger, and were your actions reasonable. More important than studying castle doctrine is what reasonable means here.

Way better in text than in practice.

No way in hell I am inviting that amount of legal risk and govt intrusion into my life over some gear.

Judgement on can vs should is an entirely different matter, and I largely agree with you. One of the best things I've ever heard on the subject came from a friend: "The absolute best-case scenario in any justifiable homicide is you simply get to keep what you have right now - and your first attorney's bill destroys that too. Choose wisely."