Hornady ELDX for moose

VernAK

WKR
The Barnes Bullets LRX, TSX and TTSX that I have recovered from game animals that I have shot. Most of my Barnes Bullets have exited. I would think that a Barnes that didn't open would have exited the critter. But there can be other results and that is why I prefer bullet construction capable of deep penetration and hopefully breaking down the wounded animal.

barnes.jpg

AKDoc

WKR
A question was raised about TSX expansion.

I have personally never had a TSX expansion failure...nearly all have entered, expanded and exited the far side of the animal (moose, grizzly and black bear)...two exit-exceptions below. TSX's have consistently performed so well for me in accuracy and terminal performance since I first started hand loading them many years ago, that I just stayed with them.

For reference I'm shooting moose/grizzlies with a 270grn TSX out of a 375H&H, pushing close to 2800fps. For black bears a 100grn TSX out of a 257WBY, pushing close to 3600fps. Also, I choose not to be a long-distance shooter when hunting. I prefer the hunting experience of being closer to the animal I'm shooting. No offense intended...to each his own.

Below are two that I did recover from two different bull moose...head/upper neck vertebrae shots, both bulls dropped in place.

Edit: I was posting at the same time as you Vern...right on!

Attachments

• IMG_6603.jpeg
    IMG_6603.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4964.jpeg
    IMG_4964.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 15
Don't expand, or didn't in your case?

there's a difference and anecdotal experiences aren't gospel truth across the board.

Hmmm. I shot the Elk at 180 yards. 4 times .308 TTSX. He took all 4 to the chest, like a man. Not one expanded. The 5th shot flew as he was dropping.
Luckily, he didn't run off, or I'd still be in the CO Rockies chasing him. All 4 were on the aft side hide.

I'm not happy about it, as the TTSX are the only sub MOA ammo I can find for my Tikka. I cannot find anything else that groups at 200 yards. and I have an Oryx hunt coming up.

roymunson

WKR
Hmmm. I shot the Elk at 180 yards. 4 times .308 TTSX. He took all 4 to the chest, like a man. Not one expanded. The 5th shot flew as he was dropping.
Luckily, he didn't run off, or I'd still be in the CO Rockies chasing him. All 4 were on the aft side hide.

I'm not happy about it, as the TTSX are the only sub MOA ammo I can find for my Tikka. I cannot find anything else that groups at 200 yards. and I have an Oryx hunt coming up.
so, anecdotal...

It doesn't matter in the end if it's just you or the bullet, if you're not confident pulling the trigger, don't shoot it.
Lots of good options that'll do what you wanna do. No need to force the issue with a bullet you don't believe in.

4 of them un-expanded is more than a 1 off... I have no idea of your speeds at impact, but something doesn't add up. Glad you got your bull.

so, anecdotal...

It doesn't matter in the end if it's just you or the bullet, if you're not confident pulling the trigger, don't shoot it.
Lots of good options that'll do what you wanna do. No need to force the issue with a bullet you don't believe in.

4 of them un-expanded is more than a 1 off... I have no idea of your speeds at impact, but something doesn't add up. Glad you got your bull.

I have heard about impact speeds more than once, but I'm not the only one.
It's not like I'm hand loading. I go into the store & buy boxed ammo. I have no control over impact speeds

roymunson

WKR
It's not like I'm hand loading. I go into the store & buy boxed ammo. I have no control over impact speeds
yeah, if it aint working for you, there are plenty of bullets that will.

My TTSX worked on my mule deer from my 7 mag and they're stacking up nicely out of my 300 WSM for moose and grizzly. I'd try accubonds but these are shooting where I want them and coming out of the muzzle around 3050 fps, so why change em.

Bummer that they didn't work

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Here is a 250g ttsx pulled out of a moose that was shot just shy of 300yds, the other is a 260g accubond that was closer to 80yds.

Attachments

• IMG_5538.jpeg
    IMG_5538.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 24

ColeyG

WKR

The distance from which you choose to shoot plays a huge part in impact velocity.

Probably an arrogant statement here, but if it’s in a a .30 cal (300 win, 300 PRC or 300 Ultra) there’s probably not a person out there that has more experience than myself with the 200 and 212 ELDX on moose specifically.

Countless bulls between myself and family since late 2016. Probably 25-30 Yukon bulls between all of us. Never a single issue. Not once. Almost all 1 shot kills. Closest was actually mine at 54 yards. Furthest was 707 yards. Absolutely hammers. They’ve all held together extremely well.
Now if we are talking any caliber under the .30’s then I wouldn’t know.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Moose are not that tough, hit him good and you will be eatting for a few years. Good luck.

mabrams

FNG
Killed a moose last year about 150 yards with 300WM with 200 eldx. First shot was fine but it ran into the water and gave me another good shot so took it.