Hornady ELDX for moose

bdan68

WKR
Crazy how opinions work right! Have you ever hunted moose or elk? I only ask because he was asking for advice on shooting moose with a eldx and from what I see you have only shot 2 mule deer, that being said the bullets performed perfectly for you and exactly as they were designed to do.
No I have not hunted moose, other than once with my dad when he drew a moose permit, but that doesn't mean I don't know how bullets work. I like bullets that stay together and go all the way through an animal. ELD-X bullets aren't going to go all the way through a moose. I also wouldn't have confidence that they could even make it through the shoulder of a moose into the lungs. I have no doubt they could kill a moose with perfect shot placement. But there are many other bullets I'd use over the ELD-X. I only used them for deer because they're extremely accurate, and I knew they'd be good enough for a couple of small doe mule deer. I hunt elk every year and I certainly have never used that bullet.

AkRyan

WKR
No I have not hunted moose, other than once with my dad when he drew a moose permit, but that doesn't mean I don't know how bullets work. I like bullets that stay together and go all the way through an animal. ELD-X bullets aren't going to go all the way through a moose. I also wouldn't have confidence that they could even make it through the shoulder of a moose into the lungs. I have no doubt they could kill a moose with perfect shot placement. But there are many other bullets I'd use over the ELD-X. I only used them for deer because they're extremely accurate, and I knew they'd be good enough for a couple of small doe mule deer. I hunt elk every year and I certainly have never used that bullet.
Well I have shot 11 moose in my time my wife has 5 and my 13yr old daughter has 2.
Wife and daughter use 7mm-08 to hunt everything we have in Alaska aside from grizzly.
We harvested 2 large moose last season using 150g eldx factory ammo out of a little ole 7mm08. My shot went through the moose at close to 100yrds but my wife's didn't at 60-80. Both moose took one step and fell over.
Neither of these shots was a perfect be any means, I have taught my family to shoot for vitals in open areas and shoulder in the thick brush. So while you might have a bit of experience using these bullets and hunting in general but you have zero experience using them on large game like the op had asked.
My point is unless you actually have knowledge of the specific subject bring discussed then maybe it would be best to read and learn instead.

bdan68

WKR
Well I have shot 11 moose in my time my wife has 5 and my 13yr old daughter has 2.
Wife and daughter use 7mm-08 to hunt everything we have in Alaska aside from grizzly.
We harvested 2 large moose last season using 150g eldx factory ammo out of a little ole 7mm08. My shot went through the moose at close to 100yrds but my wife's didn't at 60-80. Both moose took one step and fell over.
Neither of these shots was a perfect be any means, I have taught my family to shoot for vitals in open areas and shoulder in the thick brush. So while you might have a bit of experience using these bullets and hunting in general but you have zero experience using them on large game like the op had asked.
My point is unless you actually have knowledge of the specific subject bring discussed then maybe it would be best to read and learn instead.
Nope, I'll never just "read and learn." This is a hunting forum, and I'm here to give my opinions. You have your opinion. I have mine. It's okay if they're different. Keep on using your ELD-X bullets. I don't care.

Definitely not a moose, but we killed 2 bears this last week with 175 gr ELDX’s out of my 7 PRC. I shot mine at about 30’. The bullet expanded perfectly and passed right through. My cousin shot his at 620 yards, and the bullet expanded perfectly and passed right through.

AkRyan

WKR
Definitely not a moose, but we killed 2 bears this last week with 175 gr ELDX’s out of my 7 PRC. I shot mine at about 30’. The bullet expanded perfectly and passed right through. My cousin shot his at 620 yards, and the bullet expanded perfectly and passed right through.
How are you liking the 7prc? Has factory ammo proven to be "match grade" accurate? I've been so close to pulling the trigger on a barrel.

How are you liking the 7prc? Has factory ammo proven to be "match grade" accurate? I've been so close to pulling the trigger on a barrel.
I’ve been super impressed with it so far. After barrel break in my first 3 shot group at 200 were all touching. Hornady’s advertised speeds seem to be quite generous though. I’m shooting a short barrel at 20”, but I’m still only seeing 2740 FPS. I was talking to the guys at Fierce Arms and they said even out of the longer barrels it’s been fairly slow.

280Ackley

WKR
No way I'd use ELD-X bullets on anything bigger than deer. I've shot two mule deer with 178 grain ELD-X bullets out of a 30/06. Both around 250 yards. It did kill them both quickly, with double lung shots, but neither bullet made it past the lungs. They open way too fast for elk or moose in my opinion.
Sounds like it worked exactly like there are designed to. Another example of a bullet not killing like it was “supposed” to!!

bdan68

WKR
Sounds like it worked exactly like there are designed to. Another example of a bullet not killing like it was “supposed” to!!
Yeah, they did work. But that's not what I would want for a moose bullet. Which is what this thread is about.

We shot two alaskan moose last year with 168gr bergers in my 280AI. I put two in mine, both complete pass throughs. My buddy put 4 in his, all complete pass throughs.

280Ackley

WKR
We shot two alaskan moose last year with 168gr bergers in my 280AI. I put two in mine, both complete pass throughs. My buddy put 4 in his, all complete pass throughs.
My son shot his Shiras with the same setup. One and done, the bullet was on the off side shoulder just under hide.

bdan68

WKR
Thought I explained that in the previous post. The thing is, a bullet that can't make it all the way through a small mule deer, with a broadside, behind the shoulder shot, surely is not going to go all the way through a moose. And that's what I'd want- an entrance hole and an exit hole. Some people don't care about that, but I do.