Hornady ELDX for moose

Thanks. I'm heading to newfoundland and read a few reviews saying its not a great ammo for moose but my entire rifle and scope was built around that ammo so I was a bit perplexed

Eldx is fine in 7mm and up, but I wouldn't use it in anything smaller for moose. I used a 30-06 with a Nosler Partition for moose. After several black bears with Eldx in the 06 I think they come apart to easily for heavier game with smaller calibers.

How many rounds did you have to throw into him?
Just one. It’s a magical bullet. Even a grazing flesh wound across a nominal body part, such as a hock or tip of the ear, will drop anything in its tracks. Including elephant, hippo, or rhinoceros. All dead, sometimes when the round is chambered or the safety is taken off. Try it. The wonder bullet. Coming to a rifle near you.

I have a buddy with a custom gun in 300 win mag that'll be using the 212s this fall for moose. The guide said that bullet is just fine. But we're hoping for grizzly as well.

Guide just said stay away from Bergers. Although for a moose, I'm sure you can kill them with a berger, just not preferred.

I'm using it in a 300 weatherby mag 200 grain but my boy shoots 270 weatherby with them in 140 grain so really more concerned about his gun.

My opinion is 140 grain Eldx at 270 Weatherby velocities it will perform more like a varmint bullet. A lot of damage but less penetration. I'd use something like a partition or a bonded bullet in a 270. An all copper would work also.

No way I'd use ELD-X bullets on anything bigger than deer. I've shot two mule deer with 178 grain ELD-X bullets out of a 30/06. Both around 250 yards. It did kill them both quickly, with double lung shots, but neither bullet made it past the lungs. They open way too fast for elk or moose in my opinion.

Well I just bought him 2 boxes of Nosler partions 150 grain from sheels so he will have options at least. Thanks for the feed back

2 boxes be enough to take on a moose hunt to newfoundland or does anyone recommend taking more?

2 boxes be enough to take on a moose hunt to newfoundland or does anyone recommend taking more?

270 wby with partitions is a great choice for moose. 2 boxes (40 rounds) is a good amount to show up with.

The ELDX isn’t my first choice because of frangibility at high velocities, but I’m sure it would do the job.

Partition, Accubond, or any Barnes bullet would be my recommendation.

Good luck on the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all day long, but have had defrag on two shots. Not a huge issue on moose but it would piss me off on a deer.

I've been hunting moose for 27 years and have never needed more than my rifle holds...3-4 rounds. And that usually covers two animals.

Took 2 moose last year with 150g eldx 7mm08 100yrds or so on mine and 60-80 for my wife, one shot and flop! Aim for vitals not shoulder with this bullet IMO.

No way I'd use ELD-X bullets on anything bigger than deer. I've shot two mule deer with 178 grain ELD-X bullets out of a 30/06. Both around 250 yards. It did kill them both quickly, with double lung shots, but neither bullet made it past the lungs. They open way too fast for elk or moose in my opinion.
Crazy how opinions work right! Have you ever hunted moose or elk? I only ask because he was asking for advice on shooting moose with a eldx and from what I see you have only shot 2 mule deer, that being said the bullets performed perfectly for you and exactly as they were designed to do.

Back