Hold on to your GMU 23/26A Shorts boys

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Now opportunity for the state of Alaska liaison. The state opposes the requested action. He points out that the NFQ users will take mostly bulls and fewer than 350 harvested. He points out the sufficient harvest availability or both FQ and NFQ users.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
He also points out that the two user groups are seldom in close proximately to one another. Only a handful of cos are harvested by NFQ users and this indicates that their hunting likely has no effect on migration deflection. He discussed patrol flights and their observations of caribou reactions to hunters and planes and how that it indicates there are no concerns.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Robin now to offer comments developed by the interagency committee.

ISC does not support WSA21-01(a) mostly due to it being a short term solution and that better long term solutions are in order.
Points out that long term effects of aircraft on caribou migration is unclear.
Likely multiple factors in migration changes.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like the chair dropped off the call. Rhonda (secondary chair) is taking over for now. She opened the floor for questions of Robin.

Gene with BIA asked Ben (State rep) is the state has recommended any changed. Answer was, " not at this time".

Sue, let Gene know that it was time for questions for Robin about the ISC.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Gene with BIA is asking ISC what areas and overall acreage is recommended to be closed. Robin made the distinction that the ISC does not make recommendations, it makes comments. For the question about acreage, she recommended Lisa answer that.
Lisa said the federal land to be closed is 35% in 23 (I think)

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Thomas acting state director for BLM moves to approve closure as modified and he adds the 2023 and 2024 years. second by NPS

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Discussion:
BLM rep offers the estimated herd size and the WACH WG comments that "some closures may be warranted".

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
I can't believe he added next year too. I'm not sure that's legal for a WSA which is allowed by the law as a temporary remedy

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
Not looking great…. Wonder if we will have any audibles… hopefully going for 2yrs instead of 1 throws the vote…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
NPS rep supports the BLM modification. (like we didn't know that with the second) It sounds like they worked this out beforehand to me.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Rep from USFS shoes appreciation for the work by the staff. They will vote to support the motion. The reasons are these closures are more targeted and les sweeping.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
So what would these closures mean for non resident hunters?
It will mean that the federal lands in the Noatak preserve and all BLM lands between the Noatak and Kobuk rivers will be closed., They have also added the NIGU rive portion of the preserve in 26a which is in addition to the OSM modification option.