Hiking/hunting shorts?

Bsevans5

FNG
Can't see myself ever hunting in shorts, but hiking, scouting, etc...

Going on a quick backpacking (2 day) trip in a couple weeks. The weather is going to be much warmer than I planned so rather than hiking in softshell pants, I'm thinking some shorts could be in order. What are the best hiking shorts out there?

*I'd like something knee length or just above if possible

Last edited:
I practically live in North Face synthetic cargo shorts in the summer. They fit well, very durable and breathe well. That said, I would never hunt in them. Furthermore, what I wear under them is important based upon the level of activity....Under Armor Boxer Briefs (the long version, like road biking shorts) are superior to anything else I've tried to alleviate any chafing that could make a long hike unbearable. Just make sure you buy the version with a fly to aid in getting rid of that hydration you take so seriously.

BrentH

WKR
I have a pair of the Prana Zion shorts. They are nice, but I also have some cheaper ones I bought off Amazon that do just as well for me.

sndmn11

WKR
I just wear my gym shorts.

I buy into the running shorts as the best choice with some running gaiters to keep stuff out of my shoes.

Nylon with a built in brief; they double as undies very nice and don't stink near as bad as polyester.

OP
B

Bsevans5

FNG
I buy into the running shorts as the best choice with some running gaiters to keep stuff out of my shoes.

Nylon with a built in brief; they double as undies very nice and don't stink near as bad as polyester.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm hoping to find something that is knee length. I should edit my original post to clarify

Yup, I have both Nike and UnderArmour with integrated compression undies. I like them with pockets on both sides. I don't know what else a dude could want.

That's a pro tip on the gaiters. I have the little Kuiu scree gaiters but have never used them.

Carlin59

WKR
Eddie Bauer Guide Pros are my go to shorts. They come in two lengths and numerous colors, including some camo and patterns. Zippered low profile cargo pockets on each thigh.
Occasionally I’ll wear dedicated running shorts with built in liner if trying to cover straight trail miles quickly (pack out or pack in, backpacking). Nice to not get a pair of underwear sweaty before the hunting even starts. Have gotten some weird stares packing in for first rifle elk in October in shorty running shorts though 😂