High Country Archery

I plan to hunt high country for the first time. I've read that the weather in high country early season can change fast! Wondering what kind of gear guys are using on backpack pack hunts. I have backpacking gear including a DCF one man shelter but am also looking into carrying a lightweight tarp to use at glassing vantages. Should I carry puffy pants on an early season hunt with unpredictable weather? I have a rain jacket, but no pants (kinda why I was looking into a tarp) ...

Last edited:

Mag_7s

WKR
I hate to ask this, but can you narrow it down by state? Early season weather can really differ from say Oregon/Washington to Colorado. Then someone who is more familiar can potentially advise.

OP
tylerb4613
I hate to ask this, but can you narrow it down by state? Early season weather can really differ from say Oregon/Washington to Colorado. Then someone who is more familiar can potentially advise.

Nevada or Utah

Mag_7s

WKR
I can't help ya on that one. Hopefully someone with experience in those states are willing to give their recommendations.

I don't think I'd carry puffy pants in either of those states, but I run hot. I would try to glass from an area where you can bail down to timber quickly though, and probably would plan to set camp in timber (which for the sake of hunting effectively you would want to do anyway). Thunderstorms can be scary mofos.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I don't own puffy pants so can't speak to them but I do always carry a light weight tarp. I would say get some rain pants over puffy pants. They can ad warmth, block wind and if you do have to be hiking in a storm you will be happy to have dry pants.

Skip the puffy pants. It will more than likely be hot. You may have some rain storms blow in and possibly even snow but it’s not going to last long. A lightweight tarp and good rain pants will work great. Size your rain pants so you can slip them on over your regular pants if needed for more warmth.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
I do a lot of early September hunts here in Colorado. Guessing Utah or Nevada could be similar but probably a little hotter. And I have never felt the need for puffy pants. Now if you want to bring a lighter sleeping bag and substitute with puffy pants then maybe bring them.
But heck if you have the room stuff those things in your bag, maybe you’ll enjoy having them.

OP
tylerb4613
Skip the puffy pants. It will more than likely be hot. You may have some rain storms blow in and possibly even snow but it’s not going to last long. A lightweight tarp and good rain pants will work great. Size your rain pants so you can slip them on over your regular pants if needed for more warmth.
This is exaactly what I was thinking! Thanks for solidifying this for me!

OP
tylerb4613
I do a lot of early September hunts here in Colorado. Guessing Utah or Nevada could be similar but probably a little hotter. And I have never felt the need for puffy pants. Now if you want to bring a lighter sleeping bag and substitute with puffy pants then maybe bring them.
But heck if you have the room stuff those things in your bag, maybe you’ll enjoy having them.
Thanks! Which rating of sleeping bag are you using during your early Colorado hunts?

ColoradoV

WKR
To each their own but I carry puffy pants every single day I am out scouting in July and August. Then carry them every day I am hunting. Elevation = 11.5k+…

In 25 days of scouting I pry put them on 8-10 times.