High Calorie DIY Oatmeal

Going to try making my own breakfast for hunting this year. I’m a fan of oatmeal and actually will eat anything. Haven’t come across any meal or food I didn’t like. I’m looking for some ideas or recipes to mix into a high calorie but low weight breakfast I can take back country hunting. I’ve got a mix now I need to try out but is 744 calories and .38lbs of food. So Mylar bag will be added on top of that. I have some decent meals for dinner and I usually pack a combo of snacks to get me through the day. Just looking for some avenues I haven’t thought of yet, thanks!

bulk of my current idea is instant oats, protein powder, powdered milk and butter, dehydrated fruits, and honey. I like sweeter more than savory but like I said I’ll eat anything!

OP
Quicksilver
That would be an option, I’ve got the chocolate protein powder added thinking it would go well with strawberries and bananas, or other fruits. If the chocolate doesn’t work out I’m looking into the chips idea.

a few of those chips added anyway does bump up the calories quite a bit! Just checked into them. Those or adding cacao powder instead.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
I eat old fashioned oatmeal daily and mix in ground up almonds/walnuts to add healthy fats to that meal....that will also add calories. I grind up approx. 1/3 cup of each and mix in with 1 cup oatmeal, for backpacking you can pre grind that stuff....

BBob

WKR
I add Hoosier Hill Farm powdered heavy cream and powdered butter to McCann's quick oats along with a pinch of salt and a touch of brown sugar. I bag them in individual zip locks for each breakfast and pour hot water directly into the bag for no clean up.

Poser

WKR
I’m fairly particular about my Oats at home so I try and get as reasonably, but practically close to that as possible in the backcountry.

Home:

McCann’s steel cut oats
Kerrygold butter
Blueberries
Honey
Couple of eggs super over easy (finish cooking in the oats)

Backcountry:
McCann’s instant Oats
Powdered butter (add this to everything)
Dehydrated blueberries
Whole egg protein powder

While not as good, its consistent enough, predictable and hits all of the macro corners.

OP
Quicksilver
Getting some good ideas to tweak my recipe and also build more than one option!

Outlaw99

WKR
Best oatmeal ever:

1/2 cup of cut or rolled oats
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 table spoon almond butter
Dash of cinnamon...heavy dash
1 table apple ground chia seeds
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
A pile of frozen blueberries mixed in on top

My favorite breakfast of anything I could have. I can eat it for lunch and super as well

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ll mix in powdered peanut butter, ground flax seed and different nuts, finely shredded coconut and powdered maple syrup, can get the calories up pretty quick.

gexpro

WKR
instant oatmeal
powdered peanut butter
coconut sugar (optional)
shredded coconut
craisins
sliced almonds
protein powder (wilderness athlete)

add some cold water and boom!

Rob5589

WKR
I'm liking all these combos, breakfast is always the hard meal for me to nail down. If you use instant oats, could I use a thicker zip lock type bag for the ingredients and add some hot water to blend it all? It won't be boiling, just hot'ish.

sargent

WKR
I'm liking all these combos, breakfast is always the hard meal for me to nail down. If you use instant oats, could I use a thicker zip lock type bag for the ingredients and add some hot water to blend it all? It won't be boiling, just hot'ish.
I've done this with freezer bags and never had a problem. Eat out of the bag, zip the bag closed, and there's no mess to clean up.

If you are looking to mix it up, go grits.

- three packs of Quaker instant plain grits
- olive oil pack or butter pads or flakes
- 2 oz diced cooked bacon or diced bacon jerky
- two big spoonfuls of parmigiana or romano cheese sliced or grated
- ground black pepper

Rob5589

WKR
Mmm, those grits sound real good. I burn out on sweet stuff real quick, this sounds like a great option.

tdot

WKR
55g of 1 minute oats
10g of demerara sugar
Scoop of plain protein powder
10g of Freeze dried blueberries
2 tablespoons of a Medium Chain Triglyceride Oil (I prefer C8 MCT)

4.25oz and just shy of 600 calories. The combo hits me comparable to a double shot of espresso, and stays with me for a good few hours. I enjoy it enough that I have a few packages made up at home and if I need a quick breakfast I'll make one of these up, even my 2 boys like eating them at home.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I do two packets of The organic King Soopers brand Maple and Brown sugar instant oatmeal. I add a tablespoon of hemp seeds, a tablespoon of powdered peanut butter, tablespoon of powdered butter, tablespoon of dried blueberries and a tablespoon of chopped pecans. I put that all in a Mylar bag so breakfasts are a snap. I can’t remember the exact calorie count but i think it was 550-600 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk