High Calorie DIY Oatmeal

Titan_Bow

WKR
Oh and the Mylar bags are a game changer. You just add boiling water, the ones I got from Amazon have a pleated bottom so they stand on their own just like a commercial backpacking meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
Oh and the Mylar bags are a game changer. You just add boiling water, the ones I got from Amazon have a pleated bottom so they stand on their own just like a commercial backpacking meal.

Lots on there, got a link to the ones you've had good luck with?

Moserkr

WKR
Man, y’all just stepped my oatmeal game up! I prefer the mylar bags as well off amazon. If youre cheap like me, they can also be washed and reused... or vacuum sealed for at least one space saving use. My oatmeal used to be nuts, dried fruit, peanut butter, cinnamon, oats (dur), and protein powder. After reading this thread, I was living under a rock! Keep it going. Thanks guys. Ill have a variety pack this year...

Rob5589

WKR
If you are looking to mix it up, go grits.

- three packs of Quaker instant plain grits
- olive oil pack or butter pads or flakes
- 2 oz diced cooked bacon or diced bacon jerky
- two big spoonfuls of parmigiana or romano cheese sliced or grated
- ground black pepper

I whipped up a test batch today. It was darn good, especially for what it is. My wife thought it was kind of like polenta. And she's Italian, so that's saying something lol

Titan_Bow

WKR
Lots on there, got a link to the ones you've had good luck with?

Pretty sure these are the ones I ordered. They have a ziplock on the top but you can seal them above that zipper with the sealer on your vacuum sealer. They work great for breakfasts and for dehydrated dinners, just add boiling water to the bag, stir, sit aside for a few minutes and then enjoy. Nothing to clean or deal with unless you are saving the bags.

1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup raisins
3 Tbsps hemp heart seeds
3 tbsps dark chocolate chips
3 tbsps powdered peanut butter
3 tbsps beef collagen peptides (amino acids)
2 tbsps beef gelatin (amino acids and free calories)
2 tbsps honey or maple syrup
1/4 tsp salt

Roughly 800 calories. I mix up big batches and dehydrate it, then break it into crumbles for a gluten free, dairy free granola recipe. I have celiac disease and a dairy allergy so I can't use the standard protein powders.

sargent

WKR
I just mixed up a bunch of breakfasts for this season. Here's the recipe:
1 cup cocoa krispies
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
24 grams chia seeds
1 tablespoon milk chocolate and peanut butter flavored chips
.7 ounces sliced almonds
Each breakfast weighs 4.2 ounces in a ziplock freezer bag and has 557 calories, 68 grams of carbs (-11 grams dietary fiber for 57 net carbs), 26 grams of fat, and 35 grams of protein.
Total package is 133 calories per ounce. Just add 3-4 ounces hot or cold water and get your day started with this power packed meal.

OP
Quicksilver
Kind of on the final phases so I figured I’d update with what I have so far.

1 cup oats
1/4 cup dehydrated whole milk
1/2 cup freeze dried blueberries
1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries
1tbsp dehydrated butter
1tbsp cacao powder
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
3tbsp hemp heart seeds
2tbsp honey
1 packet of coconut oil

a little thick with the protein powder but gets me just over 1000 calories! Best part is I can modify the contents for less. This is more of an all out breakfast. Had it the other night and tastes good so that’s a bonus!

Lots of good ideas in this thread. I made the simple recipe below based off the ideas here. We used it last month in AK and it worked out well, even after 7 days of the same thing.

2xflax instant oatmeal packs: 420c
3tbsp PB fit powdered peanut butter: 210c
1tbsp chopped walnuts: 49c
Total: 679c

Vac sealed and then “cooked” in a ziplock container with boiling water. Looking forward to adding berries and fruit for next time.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I can eat oats occasionally, after a while they start not wanting to go down.
But grits I can eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

@Quicksilver I'm not sure if you dialed in your breakfast yet, but I just came across the thread. If someone hasn't already mentioned it, you might find a weight gainer (generally a composition of protein/fat/and carbs) powder instead of whey protein isolate (just protein) to really boost the calories without taking up more space in the gut (and thus making you bloated).

I also love a packet or two of honey thrown on top for another 100kcal boost.

Good luck this season!

OP
Quicksilver
@Quicksilver I'm not sure if you dialed in your breakfast yet, but I just came across the thread. If someone hasn't already mentioned it, you might find a weight gainer (generally a composition of protein/fat/and carbs) powder instead of whey protein isolate (just protein) to really boost the calories without taking up more space in the gut (and thus making you bloated).

I also love a packet or two of honey thrown on top for another 100kcal boost.

Good luck this season!
Thanks for the idea, I’ll look into that to replace the protein!