Henderson case trimmer

Wildstreak

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone use a Henderson trimmer? I would like to buy one but I need some info.

I use Redding bushing dies. According to the folks at Henderson you need to expand your neck .003 for clearance over the pilot.

I can get a mandrel expander die from Sinclair. However, I’m not sure where to put this in the process.

Do you anneal, then expand the neck, then trim, then run it through the bushing?

Anyone else have experience with this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lawnboi

WKR
I think there may have been a failure to communicate.

I don’t have one, but almost bought one before waiting 20 weeks for a giraud.

That said, with all the guys using this, I don’t see how it’s required to have your neck over expanded diameter for the pilot. Nobody I know trims before sizing. Your brass length can change when you size, that would defeat the purpose.

My process is to anneal, size with a bushing die and mandrel (if not being expanded by a button) followed by running through the trimmer. This seems to be pretty common practice

ID_Matt

WKR
Buy one. It is probably the one piece of reloading equipment that I would have the hardest time parting with. I am not sure the concern with having to expand .003 that was mentioned. I have all sorts of dies - redding, hornady, rcbs, whidden - with expander balls and without. I have never ran in to an issue of the mouth not clearing the pilot. Even used it with new brass. Never had any issues.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
my process is this-
anneal
size w/o mandrel
clean
expand
trim
prime
load
shoot
repeat
im not sure where the .003 came from. maybe a miscommunication?

ephul

FNG
I've got a Henderson. It's nice. One thing to consider with the Henderson vs Giraud is Henderson is based on OAL, and Giraud goes off the shoulder.

So the mis communication is that Todd says you need to more then .003 of neck tension to clear the pilot. So if you are doing say a 223 rem case which is bullet diameter of .224 your i.d of the neck has to be at least .221 or greater. I will say that I have had issues with my henderson causing a galling ring on the inside of the neck

OutdoorAg

WKR
Very happy with my Henderson. So much so that I use it to touch the case after every firing. Chamfers beautifully, even if I'm not trimming off a measurable amount.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
I got one, wish I wouldn’t have waited as long as I did. Hand trimming sucks.

Size with a bushing type die and trim.

I wouldn’t get to hung up on the neck having to be 003 or .005 or it has to be .002…. Size it, trim it, and rock n roll.