Help with recoil calc: 7mag vs 6cm

WyldGoose

FNG
Looking for some help calculating recoil difference between what I’ve been shooting the last few years vs. what I’m putting together. I don’t hand load, so I’m not sure of the powder charges. I’m just curious to see on paper how much reduction I might get…
I appreciate any help.

Current rifle: Browning X-bolt SR, 22” 7Mag, Omega 300 suppressor, 160 gr Accubond hand loads from Choice ammo. Total weight 9lbs.

New rifle: Tikka 18” 6mm CM, suppressed, factory 108 eldm, total weight approx 8lbs.

There is a table with some rough numbers. Looks to be less than half based upon the table

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the issue with that table is that it is comparing recoil based on factors that aren't named, every load and bullet weight is going to recoil differently, as are different rifle weights. The bison recoil calculator is probably better if you want to compare apples to apples.

Not taking account for supressors, and with very rough numbers just from a quick google search:
8lb 6cm 108@2960 with 40 grains of powder: 11ft/lbs

9lb 7mag 160@3000fps with 65 grains of powder 24.7ft/lbs

Last edited:
the issue with that table is that it is comparing recoil based on factors that aren't named, every load and bullet weight is going to recoil differently, as are different rifle weights. The bison recoil calculator is probably better if you want to compare apples to apples.

Not taking account for supressors, and with very rough numbers just from a quick google search:
8lb 6cm 108@2960 with 40 grains of powder: 11ft/lbs

9lb 7mag 160@3000fps with 65 grains of powder 24.7ft/lbs

I skimmed the article, i think they included an equation, probably similar to what bison ballistics uses. Either way, still looks to be less than half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
At least to me, how recoil is felt isn’t linear with ftlbs. A 243/6creed is enjoyable to plink with and recoil is effortless, like 2/10, while the 7 mag feels like 6/10, even though ftlbs of recoil may suggest less of a difference.

OP
WyldGoose

WyldGoose

FNG
I appreciate the help fellas!
I realize there are variables those calculators don’t factor, like that I’m 6’ 2” 200 lbs behind the rifle, recoil pad choice, etc…
I’m just getting excited about my new project and figured seeing some numbers like “50% reduced recoil” might give me an idea of what I’m in for.

TaperPin

WKR
I appreciate the help fellas!
I realize there are variables those calculators don’t factor, like that I’m 6’ 2” 200 lbs behind the rifle, recoil pad choice, etc…
I’m just getting excited about my new project and figured seeing some numbers like “50% reduced recoil” might give me an idea of what I’m in for.
You’ll wonder why you didn’t get a 6mm sooner. :)