Help with a 300 win mag

Like I said above that three round group was shot off a plastic brace support under the front of the stock and my fist under the butt. Not that different than the shooting sticks I will have in the field. The sled was only used during the ridiculous break-in procedure Browning calls for.

I missed that part. I would still shoot it more without the rest from different positions and also without the brake if it’s easily removable.

Quit listening to this guy for starters

I’ve probably forgotten more about precision rifle shooting than you’ll ever know LOL.

OP
streetdoctor
That is a good group, but only if you could repeat that regularly and honestly. The brake on a Hells Canyon is a radial brake. They seem less loud because they don’t direct percussion and gas back towards the shooter like a side port or Gill style brake. The downside of a radial is in the prone position they kick up a massive pile of dust and make a mess. Pick your poison.

Reading up on it, it looks like it directs gases to the side and vertically. I believe it's a new brake for '22. It looks like some of the older version X bolts still come with a radial brake though.

OP
streetdoctor
Going deep in the replies in this thread but I think I've narrowed it down to-

-Hells Canyon Speed SR (22" barrel) in 300 winmag w/suppressor

-Seekins Havak PH2 300 win mag w/brake

-SA Waypoint in 6.5prc with a brake or suppressor, or better- wait to see if they release a 300 win mag in January.

Eliminated the wife from the equation. She can figure her shit out when the time comes 😉

bmart2622

WKR
I missed that part. I would still shoot it more without the rest from different positions and also without the brake if it’s easily removable.

I’ve probably forgotten more about precision rifle shooting than you’ll ever know LOL.
Your ignorant posts tell me otherwise but regardless maybe use all of your "knowledge" to help a guy out instead of being a dick and taking every opportunity to bust balls

axeforce6

WKR
I'm thinking I'm going to go this route or a Springfield model 2020 waypoint but in 6.5prc as some others recommended here. I'll use my buddy's 300 win mag this year and if that doesn't change my opinion I have a long time to gather ammo. For as little as I will shoot it price/finding ammo shouldn't matter much. I figure the 6.5prc will give me an extra 200 yards in case I do enjoy shooting it that much and can feel confident to longer ranges.
Midsouth shooters supply has 6.5prc ammo everyday. If you go that route. I shoot a 300wm and 300 PRC suppressed. The recoil is very manageable. I’d stay away from a Tikka in 300wm because of the short mag box. But a 300wsm is a great option for the tikka.

Your ignorant posts tell me otherwise but regardless maybe use all of your "knowledge" to help a guy out instead of being a dick and taking every opportunity to bust balls

What do you think I've been doing by telling him to get a caliber he can shoot? Sorry its not what wants to be heard, but it's good advice.

Tons of 6.5PRC ammo is now available online: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/6.5mm-prc

Norma golden target which is a shitty choice for a hunting bullet, and then Hornady match and ELD-X which is iffy and your screwed if you rifle doesn't like it.

147gr ELD-M's cost me an entire stage in a PRS match. Beyond 600 yards the bullets were literally blowing up mid flight and that was only at 6.5 creedmoor velocities out of an 8 twist Bartlein. There are many others who have had ELD bullets do the same thing. No way in hell would I trust those bullets on a hunt.

-SA Waypoint in 6.5prc with a brake or suppressor, or better- wait to see if they release a 300 win mag in January.

Eliminated the wife from the equation. She can figure her shit out when the time comes 😉

You should at least consider 7mm Rem Mag. It will give you the magnum that you want, has a ton of ammo availability, and recoil is about in the middle of 6.5 creedmoor and 300WM. It's much more managable without a brake.

Between those three rifles the Seekins is the most solid choice.

bmart2622

WKR
What do you think I've been doing by telling him to get a caliber he can shoot? Sorry its not what wants to be heard, but it's good advice.

Norma golden target which is a shitty choice for a hunting bullet, and then Hornady match and ELD-X which is iffy and your screwed if you rifle doesn't like it.

147gr ELD-M's cost me an entire stage in a PRS match. Beyond 600 yards the bullets were literally blowing up mid flight and that was only at 6.5 creedmoor velocities out of an 8 twist Bartlein. There are many others who have had ELD bullets do the same thing. No way in hell would I trust those bullets on a hunt.
Being a dick

LightFoot

WKR

Eliminated the wife from the equation. She can figure her shit out when the time comes

You are overthinking it. Those are all great choices and you will give up something in each of them that you would have in one of the others. Get the first one you can put your hands on. Get plenty of ammo. Go shoot and get comfortable. Train. Practice. Then go take your antelope, deer, elk, bear, etc…

After a few seasons with your rifle, you’ll know what you like about it and what you would change. Obsess over it then…. And you’ll be just like the rest of us. Hahahaha.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interesting that the 2 biggest ball busters on this post dont like being called out

I don't know who else you're referring to, but you didn't call me out. Saying "don't listen to this guy" is not calling anyone out. You offered nothing to refute anything I said, instead you just made a BS statement like a democrat when they have nothing intelligent to respond with.

bmart2622

WKR
I don't know who else you're referring to, but you didn't call me out. Saying "don't listen to this guy" is not calling anyone out. You offered nothing to refute anything I said, instead you just made a BS statement like a democrat when they have nothing intelligent to respond with.
I didnt need to refute anything, the op already did that.

bsnedeker

WKR
Interesting that the 2 biggest ball busters on this post dont like being called out
Explain exactly how I've busted anyone balls? You just clearly don't like people expressing opinions that are different than yours because you are a snowflake. Get over yourself my friend!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk