Help with a 300 win mag

Sorry to derail...but how do they handle wind? I've got a set of Walkers ear buds and the "enhanced" hearing mode is worthless in any kind of windy conditions, which is most of my rifle hunting.

Not spent any time with them when it was really blowing but haven't had any issue in moderate winds so far. To be fair, my time actually wearing them while hunting consisted of 2 days in last years elk hunt but I used them a fair bit chainsawing since. Don't have a western rifle tag this year and won't have a brake on anything for shooting MN whitetails inside 100 yards.

To prevent further hijack - feel free to bump this thread on them https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...-protection-review-by-derik-henderson.215296/

OP
streetdoctor
Does anyone know what the deal with that Browning Xbolt suppressor ready model is? They call it a shot show special. Does that mean limited release?

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
So you're issue with the 30-06 is that it's too heavy. How much weight are you going to be saving by buying a 300 WM with a barrel with enough meat to thread and then throwing a suppressor on the end of it and an optic? I'm guessing not a lot of savings there.

I personally despise brakes and I will never put one on a rifle. I think bad thoughts about every dude who uses a brake at my local range. It's just my opinion obviously, but if you can't handle the un-braked recoil of a rifle you have no business shooting that rifle. There is zero shame (or should be) associated with shooting a low-recoil rifle that you can shoot accurately. If you are worried about ammo availability then I would go with a 6.5 CM or 308 or some other light-recoiling rifle. You can kill any critter in Alaska with a 6.5 CM, I promise you. Being able to put an accurate hit on an animal is MUCH more important than a slightly larger wound channel (i.e. I'd rather put a 6.5 bullet through the lungs than a 300 WM through the guts).

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
But……they might kill you back.

I use my 300 WM a lot in AK. It’s a very popular caliber throughout Alaska for good reason. Sure, you can kill anything walking in Alaska with a 6.5 CM, but….. your way undergunned for a big bull moose in a swamp or nasty alder/willow brush. Plus, when that brownie shows up unexpectedly…. I sure feel better with 73 grains of powder pushing a 200 grain bullet over less powder and bullet

I have a CA Mesa and it’s a tack driver with 200 grain partitions. Under your $$ figure. My 130 lb wife shot her elk using my braked Mesa and I don’t believe she even noticed the recoil in her excitement. But……she was wearing hearing protection.

Last edited:

MJB

WKR
Muzzle brake & suppressor is overthinking it. Get a 270 caliber 130 grain bullet your golden. Put a good recoil pad on the butt and she'll love you forever!

SDHNTR

WKR
Based on information I've gotten from this very hunting forum I would happily use a 6.5 CM on a moose in Alaska so yeah, I would have no problem shooting a Nilgai with one.

Whether the ranchers in TX will laugh at you is another discussion entirely!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Moose die easy. Nilgai die hard. Rethink that.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all the replies! I'm 100% in on a suppressor. I already have some hearing loss and my job relies on me being able to hear. I'll probably shoot more than 5-10 rounds a year but not more than 50. Hence me not wanting to dump a ton of money into it. I don't think it's that I'm recoil sensitive either, that Tikka was just a monster. I think the whole package was under 8lb?

I shoot a Ruger M77 all weather model that they don't even make anymore and its definitely not light. I've actually never weighed it because I really like the rifle and just don't want to know:ROFLMAO:. I have lighter rifles but the M77 is my favorite to shoot so I just haul the extra weight and don't worry about it.

I really like that Ruger M77 I have and I have a buddy that shoots a browning x-bolt. Its also a really nice shooting rifle that I believe comes threaded with a muzzlebrake.

OP
streetdoctor
Tell us more about your 30–06. Is there anything you could do to lighten it? There’s not much a .300 wm will do that a 30-06 won’t do also, inside of your stated 400 yds.

It's a Remington 700 long range with a 26" bull barrel. I've thought of having it cut to 20" and suppressing it but I think it will be just as heavy? It would need a new barrel and stock? It has a picatinny rail on it with a vortex 4-16x44 optic

SDHNTR

WKR
It's a Remington 700 long range with a 26" bull barrel. I've thought of having it cut to 20" and suppressing it but I think it will be just as heavy? It would need a new barrel and stock? It has a picatinny rail on it with a vortex 4-16x44 optic
That’s a 9lb bare rifle. All up, maybe 11lbs fully loaded. Do you love it? Chopping it might help drop 1/2 lb but then the suppressor would put most of that back on. Chop it at 22 and just shoot it without the suppressor. A heavy ish 30-06 isn’t gonna recoil that bad. 10.5 lbs is heavy but not unbearable and I’d bet it would be easy to shoot quite well.

A new barrel and stock job is gonna be $13-1500. Worth it if you love the rifle, definitely not if you don’t. Other option is to sell it and move on. Buy a .308, .270 or another ‘06 in a 7.5lb range gun and carry on. You don’t need anything more.

OP
streetdoctor
That’s a 9lb bare rifle. All up, maybe 11lbs fully loaded. Do you love it? Chopping it might help drop 1/2 lb but then the suppressor would put most of that back on. Chop it at 22 and just shoot it without the suppressor. A heavy ish 30-06 isn’t gonna recoil that bad. 10.5 lbs is heavy but not unbearable and I’d bet it would be easy to shoot quite well.

A new barrel and stock job is gonna be $13-1500. Worth it if you love the rifle, definitely not if you don’t. Other option is to sell it and move on. Buy a .308, .270 or another ‘06 in a 7.5lb range gun and carry on. You don’t need anything more.
I don't love it, that's part of the problem too. My plan is to replace it with something and then sell it. Probably start over with optics as well. Headed to the range in an hour.

OP
streetdoctor
Just got back from the range with my buddy's Hells Canyon Speed in 300 win mag. It was brand new so I followed Browning's break-in procedure and tried four different brands of ammo. My final 3 round group at 100 yards (without using the sled) was the middle three using Nosler Trophy Grade 200gr partitions. I feel like that's a good enough group to stick with the 300 win mag? The brake on this thing didn't seem as loud as the Witt on my Tikka and the recoil was less than my 30-06. When I order my own do I even want a suppressor? There was a guy shooting next to me with a 7mm mag with a silencerco omega that he was raving about. For how little I will shoot I'm not sure it's necessary though?

Attachments

• 68963307805__F1CA44DB-3281-4A22-956F-E421DA3B377B.jpg
    68963307805__F1CA44DB-3281-4A22-956F-E421DA3B377B.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 68963594955__93518B7E-E6D2-49D1-A9F5-851DBE30A68E.jpg
    68963594955__93518B7E-E6D2-49D1-A9F5-851DBE30A68E.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 29
Just got back from the range with my buddy's Hells Canyon Speed in 300 win mag. It was brand new so I followed Browning's break-in procedure and tried four different brands of ammo. My final 3 round group at 100 yards (without using the sled) was the middle three using Nosler Trophy Grade 200gr partitions. I feel like that's a good enough group to stick with the 300 win mag? The brake on this thing didn't seem as loud as the Witt on my Tikka and the recoil was less than my 30-06. When I order my own do I even want a suppressor? There was a guy shooting next to me with a 7mm mag with a silencerco omega that he was raving about. For how little I will shoot I'm not sure it's necessary though?

Did you shoot his 7mm with a can? I would try to get some range time with a can before you make the decision....I wouldn't hunt without one now and reduced dbs is at the bottom of my list of benefits of a can.

I see two pulled shots which tells me you’re not shooting it well. The correct answer is still 6.5 Creedmoor or 308, they’ll kill anything in North America. There is literally zero reason to shoot a magnum rifle for what you’re wanting to do with it.

Tikka CTR or Bergara Wilderness Ridge Special Purpose is the easy button if you want short and suppressor ready.

If it’s just a hunting rifle and you haven’t been spoiled by suppressors and are on the fence then just get a T3X SS or super lite and run it.

Nevermind, I just saw that’s in a lead sled. Those things are terrible shooting platforms but if you’re still pulling shots with that, then yeah, too much recoil.

OP
streetdoctor
I see two pulled shots which tells me you’re not shooting it well. The correct answer is still 6.5 Creedmoor or 308, they’ll kill anything in North America. There is literally zero reason to shoot a magnum rifle for what you’re wanting to do with it.

Tikka CTR or Bergara Wilderness Ridge Special Purpose is the easy button if you want short and suppressor ready.

If it’s just a hunting rifle and you haven’t been spoiled by suppressors and are on the fence then just get a T3X SS or super lite and run it.
I appreciate your advice. The two other shots were after a cleaning and with 180gr federal white tails. They were in the sled. I was using two separate targets, this happened to be the cleanest when I had a better zero on the partitions. I'm still considering 6.5 prc too. On paper it looks like significantly less recoil. Especially with a brake.

bsnedeker

WKR
Am I mis-remembering, or did you say that you also want your wife to shoot this gun? If the answer to that is yes I still think you need to rethink this. I'd have your wife shoot it and see how she does with it. Also, I would have her standing next to you, and you stand next to her, while shooting this rifle so you understand how that brake is going to affect the person you are hunting with if you ever plan on doing that.

Brakes are the devil.

bmart2622

WKR
Wear ear plugs!!! Only an idiot would intentionally stand next to a big game rifle (brake or no brake) without hearing protection

Last edited: