Help with a 300 win mag

I appreciate your advice. The two other shots were after a cleaning and with 180gr federal white tails. They were in the sled. I was using two separate targets, this happened to be the cleanest when I had a better zero on the partitions. I'm still considering 6.5 prc too. On paper it looks like significantly less recoil. Especially with a brake.

6.5 PRC still has decent recoil and ammo availability is pretty much non existent. Not a wise choice.

OP
streetdoctor
6.5 PRC still has decent recoil and ammo availability is pretty much non existent. Not a wise choice.
I feel like you're really breaking my balls here. 6.5prc has less recoil than my 30-06 that I shoot sub moa. Surprisingly Sportsmans in sheridan had a shelf full of 6.5prc this morning including hornady cx. They had 5 boxes of 300 win mag. I could have bought enough factory 6.5prc to last me 3 years this morning.

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
Its your money, get what you want. If you like the 6.5 PRC and ammo is available in your area then get it. Get what you want, get comfortable with it and be able to shoot it well and go kill stuff. Too many people on here want to hear themselves talk and beat their chests about what they think they know. You do you and spend your money on what you want.

OP
streetdoctor
Its your money, get what you want. If you like the 6.5 PRC and ammo is available in your area then get it. Get what you want, get comfortable with it and be able to shoot it well and go kill stuff. Too many people on here want to hear themselves talk and beat their chests about what they think they know. You do you and spend your money on what you want.
I understand it's hard to ask for advice on the internet and not get the full gamut of responses. I appreciate all the replies but a few (even through my novice eyes) are way off base. I'm trying to be responsible with my money and not have to buy more than one rifle, and my primary focus is and will always be archery. If that means shooting a bunch before the season each fall I can probably make that happen. I don't take unethical shots. limiting myself to 300 yards is fine with me. With what I learned today I feel like I will be fine with a 300 and a brake but my wife will never shoot it. A 6.5prc with a brake she can probably handle but I don't feel ethical taking it on a Nilgai hunt next spring. Considering she isn't going to pull a tag for another 5-7 years she's not the priority. Right now 6.5prc ammo is more prevelant than 300 win mag locally. That could change tomorrow. None of this really matters though right now as I can hunt with this 300 win mag this season. I'm going down to Texas in the end of February/March so I have time. I'm taking the 300 to a 200 yard range Friday to zero. Im not new to rifles, I've been shooting since I was 12, just not with any consistency.

I understand it's hard to ask for advice on the internet and not get the full gamut of responses. I appreciate all the replies but a few (even through my novice eyes) are way off base. I'm trying to be responsible with my money and not have to buy more than one rifle, and my primary focus is and will always be archery. If that means shooting a bunch before the season each fall I can probably make that happen. I don't take unethical shots. limiting myself to 300 yards is fine with me. With what I learned today I feel like I will be fine with a 300 and a brake but my wife will never shoot it. A 6.5prc with a brake she can probably handle but I don't feel ethical taking it on a Nilgai hunt next spring. Considering she isn't going to pull a tag for another 5-7 years she's not the priority. Right now 6.5prc ammo is more prevelant than 300 win mag locally. That could change tomorrow. None of this really matters though right now as I can hunt with this 300 win mag this season. I'm going down to Texas in the end of February/March so I have time. I'm taking the 300 to a 200 yard range Friday to zero. Im not new to rifles, I've been shooting since I was 12, just not with any consistency.
Stay in the no-brake camp.
A Tikka T3X in 300WM or WSM cut to 20" with a can is about perfect.
Under truth serum, 90 percent of brake owners would admit they did it because it looks cool.

OP
streetdoctor
Stay in the no-brake camp.
A Tikka T3X in 300WM or WSM cut to 20" with a can is about perfect.
Under truth serum, 90 percent of brake owners would admit they did it because it looks cool.
I have the wrench to pull this one off. I'll do some experimenting 😂

Antares

WKR
Under truth serum, 90 percent of carbon barrel brake owners would admit they did it because it looks cool.

FTFY.

Brakes do an excellent job of reducing recoil and muzzle rise. My sight picture barely even twitches with my braked rifle. I like that.

Here's another version of your comment "Under truth serum, 90 percent of brake haters would admit they don't wear hearing protection when they shoot."

bmart2622

WKR
FTFY.

Brakes do an excellent job of reducing recoil and muzzle rise. My sight picture barely even twitches with my braked rifle. I like that.

Here's another version of your comment "Under truth serum, 90 percent of brake haters would admit they don't wear hearing protection when they shoot."
Thats funny stuff!!!

Shoot it off of a bipod sand bag and not that lead sled. You’ll probably change your tune on wanting a 300WM.

300 wsm is a good choice as well, a little less recoil. More velocity/energy with bullets up to 180gr. Plus the benefits of a shorter rifle. They’re not as pretty as an x bolt but savages are easy to rebarrel yourself if you shoot a lot. For what you’re looking to spend you could get the rifle a limb saver recoil pad thread the barrel and get reloading goodies

My 300 wsm savage with a 20 inch barrel and limb saver pad kick less than my 30-06 with a 24 inch barrel, neither of which have any muzzle device. If you do get a wsm I have a good 220gr recipe and a great 180gr recipe I could share to steer you in the right direction

OP
streetdoctor
Shoot it off of a bipod sand bag and not that lead sled. You’ll probably change your tune on wanting a 300WM.
Like I said above that three round group was shot off a plastic brace support under the front of the stock and my fist under the butt. Not that different than the shooting sticks I will have in the field. The sled was only used during the ridiculous break-in procedure Browning calls for.

bmart2622

WKR
Youre figuring it out in your own time doing your own testing. You took a new rifle out for the 1st time and shot what looks to be a sub moa group, dont let some of these jerks cut you down. If you like the brake then use it, or take it off, but make it your decision and not some keyboard warriors who isn't putting in the time with you

SDHNTR

WKR
That is a good group, but only if you could repeat that regularly and honestly. The brake on a Hells Canyon is a radial brake. They seem less loud because they don’t direct percussion and gas back towards the shooter like a side port or Gill style brake. The downside of a radial is in the prone position they kick up a massive pile of dust and make a mess. Pick your poison.

bsnedeker

WKR
Wear ear plugs!!! Only an idiot would intentionally stand next to a big game rifle (brake or no brake) without hearing protection
Only someone who has no experience would try to tell anyone that standing next to someone shooting a braked magnum is anything other than painful, regardless of ear protection.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

bmart2622

WKR
Only someone who has no experience would try to tell anyone that standing next to someone shooting a braked magnum is anything other than painful, regardless of ear protection.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Why the hell would you tell someone to stand next to the barrel of a gun when someone is shooting?!?!? If youd like to compare experience we can do that too