Help with a 300 win mag

OP
streetdoctor
I would thread your barrel and put on a muzzle brake. If your only using for hunting you won’t be shooting more than 5-10 rounds/year. Wear hearing protection to sight in and you’ll be good.

I’m pretty recoil sensitive and I have no problems with the 300wm with a brake.

I appreciate all the replies! I'm 100% in on a suppressor. I already have some hearing loss and my job relies on me being able to hear. I'll probably shoot more than 5-10 rounds a year but not more than 50. Hence me not wanting to dump a ton of money into it. I don't think it's that I'm recoil sensitive either, that Tikka was just a monster. I think the whole package was under 8lb?

ndbuck09

WKR
I too have a t3 superlite 300 win mag and I got a witt machine clamp on muzzle brake for it 2 years ago. Game changer! It's a whole different gun.

You take caliper measurements from the barrel end and then some distance down the barrel and they custom build the brake to slip over the end of the barrel. Then you have 4 screws that lock it down. They have all the instructions on their site.

OP
streetdoctor
I'm taking my buddies xbolt hells canyon speed to the range tomorrow. I'll report back on how it goes. It's only 100 yards but I should get a better feel for 300 win mag...

OP
streetdoctor
I too have a t3 superlite 300 win mag and I got a witt machine clamp on muzzle brake for it 2 years ago. Game changer! It's a whole different gun.

You take caliper measurements from the barrel end and then some distance down the barrel and they custom build the brake to slip over the end of the barrel. Then you have 4 screws that lock it down. They have all the instructions on their site.
That's the exact brake I had on mine too! It was too loud without hearing protection though and I didn't trust myself in a hunting situation. The recoil was very mild. I'm hoping a suppressor would feel similar but knock down a lot of the noise?

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you need to take that boat-anchor Aught-six out and run some round through it. I understand not wanting to lug it around, but it should be a mild-recoiling practice gun.

I had my Tikka ultralight threaded 1/2-28 by www.usmachinegun.com.

That's the exact brake I had on mine too! It was too loud without hearing protection though and I didn't trust myself in a hunting situation. The recoil was very mild. I'm hoping a suppressor would feel similar but knock down a lot of the noise?

A suppressor does not reduce recoil nearly as much as an aggressive muzzle brake. Maybe half as much and in a different way. It's less of a sharp kick and more of a longer push.

Put me in the 7/08, 30/06, or 308 camp as well.

I wear in-ear electronic plugs now when hunting with rifles that have a brake. Actually aids hearing rather than obstructing it and you don't have to worry about whether you will have time to plug em in quick when you want to shoot.

bmart2622

WKR
A suppressor does not reduce recoil nearly as much as an aggressive muzzle brake. Maybe half as much and in a different way. It's less of a sharp kick and more of a longer push.

Put me in the 7/08, 30/06, or 308 camp as well.

I wear in-ear electronic plugs now when hunting with rifles that have a brake. Actually aids hearing rather than obstructing it and you don't have to worry about whether you will have time to plug em in quick when you want to shoot.
What brand ear plugs do you use?

OP
streetdoctor
Recently released Browning x-bolt suppressor ready in 308 with 18 inch threaded barrel
I'm thinking I'm going to go this route or a Springfield model 2020 waypoint but in 6.5prc as some others recommended here. I'll use my buddy's 300 win mag this year and if that doesn't change my opinion I have a long time to gather ammo. For as little as I will shoot it price/finding ammo shouldn't matter much. I figure the 6.5prc will give me an extra 200 yards in case I do enjoy shooting it that much and can feel confident to longer ranges.

I appreciate all the replies! I'm 100% in on a suppressor. I already have some hearing loss and my job relies on me being able to hear. I'll probably shoot more than 5-10 rounds a year but not more than 50. Hence me not wanting to dump a ton of money into it. I don't think it's that I'm recoil sensitive either, that Tikka was just a monster. I think the whole package was under 8lb?

Shooting more than 50 rounds a year would make you a better shooter too…

You should buy a rifle in a caliber that you will actually shoot and become proficient with. 6.5 Creedmoor or 308 is still the right answer.

Youve had good luck with them? Youd recommend them?

Yeah, really like em. Actually heard elk bugling last year on thanksgiving week that i never would have heard without them. Only downside ive had is if you are brushing up against a lot of stuff they are prone to get knocked out. Lost one last winter in the snow doing timber stand improvement with the chainsaw after it got knocked out by some branches.

bsnedeker

WKR
Yeah, really like em. Actually heard elk bugling last year on thanksgiving week that i never would have heard without them. Only downside ive had is if you are brushing up against a lot of stuff they are prone to get knocked out. Lost one last winter in the snow doing timber stand improvement with the chainsaw after it got knocked out by some branches.
Sorry to derail...but how do they handle wind? I've got a set of Walkers ear buds and the "enhanced" hearing mode is worthless in any kind of windy conditions, which is most of my rifle hunting.

OP
streetdoctor
Shooting more than 50 rounds a year would make you a better shooter too…

You should buy a rifle in a caliber that you will actually shoot and become proficient with. 6.5 Creedmoor or 308 is still the right answer.
When it comes down to it I'm a bowhunter 😉 I like shooting, but living in Denver, having a 14 month old, and a wife who also works full time doesn't leave much time to drive 2+ hours to anywhere with a range past 100 yards. Maybe some day... I don't make it to the pistol range 6 blocks from my house nearly enough to be messing with rifles. I can also shoot 40 yards in my backyard with my bow.