Help w Rifle Inaccuracy

OP
thegoosano
Too many people to reply to individually, but you all are awesome thank you so much for the great info. Lots to think about and consider but top of my list is new scope and rings. My gunsmith is a PRS shooter so if the rings and scope change don’t work then I’ll go back to him for some validation on form etc.

I’ll reply back in a few weeks or a month with more info hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Eleven

FNG
There are three major component systems to shooting. The firearm, the ammunition and the shooter. You'll need to systematically rule each one out and then go down the rabbit hole of the one that is throwing this off. I'd suggest you start with getting someone else to shoot the rifle before you spend more money on optics and rings, and ammo, etc. If your gunsmith is a PRS shooter, have him send a few down range. You'll know pretty fast if its you or the rifle. Shooting a lite weight rifle can be challenging at first, especially if there are any fit issues (LOP too long or too short, check weld not matching up with the optic, too stiff a trigger, etc). It doesn't cost much to have a known good shooter confirm the rifle is the culprit.

Lytro

WKR
How long do you wait between shots when shooting groups? Those superlite barrels get hot fast. I have a 7RM superlite that I ended up rebuilding into a custom, but the original barrel would get so hot after 2-3 shots that I couldn't even touch it. I also noticed that the barrel shot much better as it got dirtier.

Overdrive

WKR
I've never had issues with Talley rings on any of my rifles, set up on all magnum rifles. I lap the rings and torque to manufacturer specs.

If it was me I would've tried a larger selection of ammo since your shooting factory stuff. Obviously not every rifle will shoot good with every option of factory ammo. I have a friend that wants to shoot the latest and greatest factory stuff but his rifle won't shoot it well, his rifle only likes Remington core loc factory ammo.

OP
thegoosano
How long do you wait between shots when shooting groups? Those superlite barrels get hot fast. I have a 7RM superlite that I ended up rebuilding into a custom, but the original barrel would get so hot after 2-3 shots that I couldn't even touch it. I also noticed that the barrel shot much better as it got dirtier.

I wait 3-5min btwn shots, but ya it’s always warm to the touch still and that’s in 30-40F temps so that is something I’ve thought about. I’ve also always cleaned it after every session and I’ve heard from a buddy with a 6.5CM in the same build that his barrel shoots better dirty too. I’m gonna give that a try.

Tod osier

WKR
There is a lot here about the equipment, but little about the shooter. You can't expect to just go out and shoot inch groups (even if it seems that everyone here can), especially with a hard kicker with a lot of muzzle blast. I second or third the suggestion to get someone else to shoot it.

Watch at a busy range, lot of 3-6" 100 yard groups getting shot.

OP
thegoosano
I've never had issues with Talley rings on any of my rifles, set up on all magnum rifles. I lap the rings and torque to manufacturer specs.

If it was me I would've tried a larger selection of ammo since your shooting factory stuff. Obviously not every rifle will shoot good with every option of factory ammo. I have a friend that wants to shoot the latest and greatest factory stuff but his rifle won't shoot it well, his rifle only likes Remington core loc factory ammo.

Definitely something I’ll consider if the scope change doesn’t help. There’s never anything in stock but it seems to be getting better. Nosler and Berger are high on my list

OP
thegoosano
There is a lot here about the equipment, but little about the shooter. You can't expect to just go out and shoot inch groups (even if it seems that everyone here can), especially with a hard kicker with a lot of muzzle blast. I second or third the suggestion to get someone else to shoot it.

Watch at a busy range, lot of 3-6" 100 yard groups getting shot.

Ya I totally get that. It’s something I’ll test when I can get to the range with my GS or a buddy better than me. While I do feel extremely steady and am 90% sure I’m not flinching at the shot (I do practice dry firing quite a bit), I could definitely be screwing it up somehow. A new scope and rings were already on my mind and won’t hurt so I’ll probably do that first and see where it gets me

svivian

WKR
Before you go changing a bunch of stuff, I would start with having the gunsmith, who you said is a PRS shooter shoot the gun. If he is stacking rounds in a tight group, then you'll know it's a shooter error.

If he is getting the same results, then see if he or a friend of yours has a different scope like a nightforce and have him throw it on there and shoot.

If you are still having issues after using a different scope, then it may be time to look at some barrel options. However, I think Tikka makes an excellent barrel from the factory and most likely it is either you or the scope/mounting causing issues.

Edit: i guess i should have read more of the replies.... @Eleven is spot on

TxLite

WKR
162gr superformance and 154gr superformance

For what it’s worth my Bergara 7 rem mag and my Tikka 7mm-08 both detested superformance. When I started Handloading for them they shot incredible.

The group on steel here is 525 yards. The second group is at 100 yards. Both are from the 7 rem mag with 168 Berger vldh
EF8FDF79-5C86-4FB6-BA3A-33427659C46D.jpeg

D898D60B-4CF5-4671-AB5C-C5236BE1C606.png

KenLee

WKR

I try to keep these cheap factory cup and core bullets on hand for common calibers for when me, family or friends run into a picky rifle: Core-lokts, Power Point, Power Shok,
and Hornady Whitetail.
If a rifle won't group at least one of those 4, you have a problem 98% of the time.

OP
thegoosano
Ordered some Warne direct mount rings for the tikka dovetail, the Sportsmatch rings are out of stock everywhere I looked.

Also bought a Swaro x5i 3.5-18x50 1/4moa BRM-I+. I’ll let y’all know if it’s an immediate improvement

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I really like Talley rings and I’ve never had a problem. I’d try as many different types of ammunition as possible- the gun might just be a bit picky.

Macintosh

WKR
Everyone has their go-to “likeliest problem”. The good part is that they are all easy and cheap to check.
Shooter—have someone who can demonstrate good ahooting with a similar caliber and weight of rifle shoot it…if it shoots for them, its shooter error.
Scope/rings—borrow or swap a different acope and rings on your rifle, or put those in a rifle known to shoot. If it changes, you have your problem.
Try 4 or 5 different brands and bullets, if it starts shooting with one, you have your solution.

Maybe not likely but it IS possible its the rifle. I had a tikka I couldnt get to shoot acceptably well. Everyone suggested all these fixes, and I tried other shooters, more stable shooting rests, about 8 different varieties or ammo, several different scopes and mounts, and never could get it to group as well as my other similar rifles. I traded it in on a different tikka that shoots significantly better (or at least is a lot less finicky). Last resort probably, but its not out of the question.

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
Get rid of the vortex. I have a 270wsm that would shoot .5 moa every time. One day started having random fliers. It was my vortex scope, it wouldn’t hold zero verified by vortex. I pulled all of them off and only shoot Zeiss now…

svivian

WKR
Looks like scope may have been the issue?

I'm just finishing a Hornady podcast titled "one hole groups" you should listen too.
Was the rifle accurate before adding the brake or was that an attempt to solve inaccuracy?