Help w Rifle Inaccuracy

OP
thegoosano
Looks like scope may have been the issue?

I bought a Swaro x5i 3.5-18x so ya I decided to sell the old one. I haven’t been able to get out to the range so honestly no idea if the scope will end up being the issue, but wanted to sell it to help offset some of the Swaro cost. It’s barely used, and I’m sure to someone not as picky as me it will serve them great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
thegoosano
I'm just finishing a Hornady podcast titled "one hole groups" you should listen too.
Was the rifle accurate before adding the brake or was that an attempt to solve inaccuracy?

The brake was for the recoil specifically, not necessarily for accuracy although the hope was the lower recoil wild help. It’s shooting better now than it was after all the mods listed in my first post. So not sure if where that came from, but overall I’m loving the brake

In the podcast they mention brakes can affect accuracy. It’s at the end of the podcast. No first hand experience, just thought it interesting.

great to see it shooting better!

OP
thegoosano
In the podcast they mention brakes can affect accuracy. It’s at the end of the podcast. No first hand experience, just thought it interesting.

great to see it shooting better!

Thanks! I’ll check out the podcast appreciate the tip. Hopefully the new scope and rings make a big difference too but we’ll see!

I don’t know where to start.

My Tikka 7mm Rem Mag wears Talleys. My brother’s suppressed Tikka Superlite 7mm Rem Mag wears Talleys. Heck, all of our Tikkas wear Talleys.

My brother shoots a Vortex, I have a Leupold.

When you start making changes, make one change at a time. It’s really the only way to isolate the problem.

I like the advice about someone else shooting the rifle. If the problem is your form, it won’t matter what changes you make.

I use 45 in/lbs on my bedding screws.

18 in/lbs on the rings, 25 in/lbs on the bases.

Tikkas can be difficult to put back together sometimes, the recoil lug needs to fit in the notch all the way. Make sure the rifle is properly assembled. It doesn’t take much to throw you off.

PF40BEBDD-813E-46FE-927C-CC8CF137B59D.jpeg

Last edited:

BWSmith

FNG
If you put on a known good scope,and have another shooter confirm the flyers;

Before diving into handloading(I've been handloading for right at 50 years,love it)... your dollar bill clearance "may" not be getting it done,needs more. Especially if you're using a bipod....

Good luck with your project.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
10 shots into 1 MOA would be great. If you have fliers 3-4” out, you obviously aren’t shooting 1moa though.

I’d check the free float. A dollar bill is not even close to adequate. Sand that sucker out and give it more float. Then check the bedding with a magnetic dial indicator on the barrel/forend. Sounds like you could have something wonky causing inconsistency.

The talleys, assuming that are tight and they aren’t cracked already is likely not the issue.

Shoot a 20 rounds group after increasing float and verifying the bedding isn’t stressed, see what happens. My tikka SL doesn’t walk after 20 rounds - the barrel is most likely fine.

SwiftShot

WKR
1. Have someone else shoot it as well. If problem is replicated you know it is not you.
2. Try multiple loads, 2 is not enough. If problem persist, new scope.

My problem is grouping with flyers, that tends to be the shooter. Going off zero then back on zero doesn't make sense. If it just wondered around that is a rifle problem. Flyers from factory ammo not common. If you hand loaded I would say check speeds and neck tension. With factory that is probably just the shooter. Solved with dry firing and range ammo.

Eleven

FNG
I bought a Swaro x5i 3.5-18x so ya I decided to sell the old one. I haven’t been able to get out to the range so honestly no idea if the scope will end up being the issue, but wanted to sell it to help offset some of the Swaro cost. It’s barely used, and I’m sure to someone not as picky as me it will serve them great

Wait, you might have a scope problem but instead of figuring it out you sold the scope on RS without telling anyone that it might have a problem?

OP
thegoosano
Wait, you might have a scope problem but instead of figuring it out you sold the scope on RS without telling anyone that it might have a problem?

The scope has no problems that I know of and has barely been used. It’s in pretty fantastic condition since I pretty much only archery hunt these days.

I’ve been wanting to upgrade my scope for a while and figured it was the low hanging fruit to start with. The vortex is a pretty cheap scope, so it’s probably just not that consistent in general. No idea if it’s the issue still as I haven’t shot my gun with the new scope, but I’m sure replacing a $500 scope with a $3000 scope won’t hurt. In fact from most peoples feedback it’s probably NOT the issue. Its more than likely just me being a shitty shot. But for what I wanna do with this rifle I knew that vortex wouldn’t cut it in the long run for a variety of reasons.

The issues I’m having could be from anything at this point. User error, ammo, bad barrel, bad bedding job, bad muzzle brake job, who the F knows what. That’s the point of this thread, to help a relatively inexperienced rifle shooter to diagnose some areas to focus on for accuracy improvement.

If there was a problem I knew of with the scope of course I wouldn’t have sold it to another member. Also, I wouldn’t hesitate to reimburse this guy were he to come to me with an issue. I’ve never once had a negative experience selling on here (or really negative experience in general).

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
The scope has no problems that I know of and has barely been used. It’s in pretty fantastic condition since I pretty much only archery hunt these days.

I’ve been wanting to upgrade my scope for a while and figured it was the low hanging fruit to start with. The vortex is a pretty cheap scope, so it’s probably just not that consistent in general. No idea if it’s the issue still as I haven’t shot my gun with the new scope, but I’m sure replacing a $500 scope with a $3000 scope won’t hurt. In fact from most peoples feedback it’s probably NOT the issue. Its more than likely just me being a shitty shot. But for what I wanna do with this rifle I knew that vortex wouldn’t cut it in the long run for a variety of reasons.

The issues I’m having could be from anything at this point. User error, ammo, bad barrel, bad bedding job, bad muzzle brake job, who the F knows what. That’s the point of this thread, to help a relatively inexperienced rifle shooter to diagnose some areas to focus on for accuracy improvement.

If there was a problem I knew of with the scope of course I wouldn’t have sold it to another member. Also, I wouldn’t hesitate to reimburse this guy were he to come to me with an issue. I’ve never once had a negative experience selling on here (or really negative experience in general).

No need for all that drama. Vortex has the best warranty in the game hands down. All they have to do is send it back and vortex will send them back a new one. dont listen to @Eleven .he is just being dramatic

Eleven

FNG
Am I? A guy has an issue with a setup, goes to a forum and says so. He’s not sure what the issue is but has been given lots of suggestions including the easy test of having someone else shoot the setup to test if it is him or the setup itself. Or he could test with another scope on hand. Instead of doing any of that the poster immediately replaces the scope and sells the original to an unsuspecting rockslider. I get that vortex has a great warranty and the new owner could send it back to vortex if it had any issues but id be pretty bummed if I were the buyer and found an issue. Bold move Is all I’m saying.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Am I? A guy has an issue with a setup, goes to a forum and says so. He’s not sure what the issue is but has been given lots of suggestions including the easy test of having someone else shoot the setup to test if it is him or the setup itself. Or he could test with another scope on hand. Instead of doing any of that the poster immediately replaces the scope and sells the original to an unsuspecting rockslider. I get that vortex has a great warranty and the new owner could send it back to vortex if it had any issues but id be pretty bummed if I were the buyer and found an issue. Bold move Is all I’m saying.

yes. Your being dramatic.
Why would he say the rifle this come off of has issues? Thats not specific at all and he simply has no idea if that was the problem and never will.
It could have been the rings or ring mounting and just by redoing it when he put the new scope on fixed it. Just replacing the scope and the problem going away isnt clear proof it was the scope.
Buying used gear is always Caveat emptor.

Eleven

FNG
Um, yah, that's my point. He doesn't yet know what the problem is. As stated by the OP it could be the scope. He literally had a brand new Swaro in hand to test the setup with. But didn't. I get that buying used is caveat emptor, but I also feel like there could have been a bit more personal responsibility in the situation. It would have taken three rounds fired down range to test if it was the old scope or not.

Maybe I am being dramatic. If I knew how to dram lama meme myself I'd consider it.

Whatever man, you do you.

No need for all that drama. Vortex has the best warranty in the game hands down. All they have to do is send it back and vortex will send them back a new one. dont listen to @Eleven .he is just being dramatic
Vortex does not send a new product on every "failed" product that gets sent to them.

My personal experience in order of CS responses are 1) they will tell you the problem is you and/or your equipment (my personal all time favorite: my rifles are bent), 2) they will admit the product has an issue but is within spec so tough titty (love "within spec" means there is insufficient elevation to dial 100 yards), 3) they admit the product has failed but send it right back to you without being repaired, 4) they admit the product failed and they repair it, 4) they admit the product failed and send you a refurb. I personally have not ever had Vortex send me a brand new product.

But that is just my personal experience. I'm happy that you have had such stellar experience with them that it warranted that Super V tattoo on your chest.

Fatcamp

WKR
Anyone can search the OP's posts on here and find this thread.

Not like it's a mystery and honestly, I never buy anything from anyone unless I can go and look at their past posts. Easy way to get a feel for others. My last purchase I even found a post commenting on the item I was buying and how he wanted to step up.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Vortex does not send a new product on every "failed" product that gets sent to them.

My personal experience in order of CS responses are 1) they will tell you the problem is you and/or your equipment (my personal all time favorite: my rifles are bent), 2) they will admit the product has an issue but is within spec so tough titty (love "within spec" means there is insufficient elevation to dial 100 yards), 3) they admit the product has failed but send it right back to you without being repaired, 4) they admit the product failed and they repair it, 4) they admit the product failed and send you a refurb. I personally have not ever had Vortex send me a brand new product.

But that is just my personal experience. I'm happy that you have had such stellar experience with them that it warranted that Super V tattoo on your chest.

You really misjudged where I stand on vortex. By alot. And tried to insult me while you were at it. I said in the nicest way possible in post #21 the scope is junk replace it with one that works. You really missed the mark here.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Um, yah, that's my point. He doesn't yet know what the problem is. As stated by the OP it could be the scope. He literally had a brand new Swaro in hand to test the setup with. But didn't. I get that buying used is caveat emptor, but I also feel like there could have been a bit more personal responsibility in the situation. It would have taken three rounds fired down range to test if it was the old scope or not.

Maybe I am being dramatic. If I knew how to dram lama meme myself I'd consider it.

Whatever man, you do you

The simple fact he said vortex scope was all I needed to hear to suspect where the bad link was. But maybe I'm jaded as I have had them fail on me. I also sold them on here. Guess im a dishonest jerk. I sent them off to vortex, they sent me a different serial # back and I sold it.

If rokslide didnt allow the sale of scopes that probably could have failed there wouldnt be very many scopes for sale.

SwiftShot

WKR
The simple fact he said vortex scope was all I needed to hear to suspect where the bad link was. But maybe I'm jaded as I have had them fail on me. I also sold them on here. Guess im a dishonest jerk. I sent them off to vortex, they sent me a different serial # back and I sold it.

If rokslide didnt allow the sale of scopes that probably could have failed there wouldnt be very many scopes for sale.
Scope that have failed wander around, they dont send one flyer the return to zero.
I think it might be a linkage problem. Check the linkage between the trigger and the reticle. That is probably where the problem is.