Help w Rifle Inaccuracy

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
Factory Tikka 6.5 Swede at 500 yards - 3 shots. Dan Shooting it.
I understand this is a smaller case capacity, but we didn't wait that long of a time between shots.
zZMpvUwl.jpg

OP
thegoosano
Thank you, ya it’s been tough to get out like I used to…but I had an opening this weekend so I took it. I was a little nervous driving out to where I shoot, I have a lot invested in the gun and was worried I’d leave again scratching my head.

When I saw that third round hit on top of the other two…man what a feeling of relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't found the Tikkas to be heat sensitive. I just hammer away and have great results with them. Other rifles, not so much.

I had/still have a few Weatherby MKV ULW, and those things were very heat sensitive. Could group tight if you were careful, but if you tried rushing things, groups would open right up.

Last edited:
OP
thegoosano
Maybe I’ll try some hot barrel testing one of these days and see what happens once I’m confident what it can do with a cool barrel. Would be a fun experiment.

Just curious, what are you tikka owners doing in terms of barrel cleaning? I used to clean after every session, but spoke to a friend with a 6.5CM T3x superlite and he swears his shot better by not cleaning it. After something like 2yrs he said the groups opened up and he cleaned it finally…seems excessive to me but interesting.

Maybe I’ll try some hot barrel testing one of these days and see what happens once I’m confident what it can do with a cool barrel. Would be a fun experiment.

Just curious, what are you tikka owners doing in terms of barrel cleaning? I used to clean after every session, but spoke to a friend with a 6.5CM T3x superlite and he swears his shot better by not cleaning it. After something like 2yrs he said the groups opened up and he cleaned it finally…seems excessive to me but interesting.

I usually clean them at the end of the season. I clean with an ammonia based solvent to get all of the copper out. I've read a lot of threads about not cleaning at all, and maybe it's a waste of time, but I've had such good results with my current program, so won't likely change. Should add that in any given year I'm messing around with 6-8 different centerfire rigs, so the round count doesn't likely get to more than 300 or so for each one.

Last edited:
OP
thegoosano
Great I like that plan is about what I had in mind. I probably won’t shoot more than 100rds in a season just because I can’t get out all that much and maybe shoot 1/2 box each outing. Should he just fine I’m hoping with a once a year good cleaning.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
Great I like that plan is about what I had in mind. I probably won’t shoot more than 100rds in a season just because I can’t get out all that much and maybe shoot 1/2 box each outing. Should he just fine I’m hoping with a once a year good cleaning.
Good idea. No reason to clean it for that many rounds unless you get some kind of debris in there.
When you do clean it, run 5-10 rounds through the bore before you recheck your zero or any downrange drops. Every barrel fouls in differently.

TBOArcher

FNG
Needing some help with improving my rifle accuracy…and I know off the bat this could be tough as hell to diagnose over a forum.

I have a 7mmRM Tikka T3x Superlite with the original stock. I’m using Talley rings and a vortex viper hslr 4-16x50mm scope. In the past I’ve had trouble getting 1moa groups so I kinda shelved the rifle and have focused on archery for several years now.

I’ve decided to dive back into this gun and get it up to par. In the past two months I’ve:

1. Bedded the stock with Devcon
2. Replaced the recoil lug with an atlasworx titanium lug
3. Added atlasworx titanium pillars to the factory stock
4. Replaced the action screws with mountain tactical high strength screws and torqued them to 40in-lbs
5. Lapped the scope rings
6. Changed ammo from hornady superformance to hornady Precision hunter
7. Added a muzzle brake
8. Changed the recoil pad to a limb saver

First off, the recoil reduction has been amazing. No issues there and I’m super happy with the feel.

However my first 10rnds I was barely getting a 1moa group at 100yds and had 3 flyers in the group that were like 3”-4” off. Is this likely just shitty form? Could the rifle be that messed up that it just throws flyers like that? Do I need to fork out the money for a better scope/stock?

IM LOST PLEASE HELP

dc53f9c514a61ef54f7d2eeebbff6372.jpg

29ae84c3826325f695c691118786e462.jpg
Following